The best for firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hell, any chainsaw is better than a handsaw!

If I could only have one? Best?

Well, I have two of them already, so I'm set. :cheers:

Most of the firewood I cut is between 12 to 18 inches. The two saws I use most are the Husky346 and the Stihl 361. I have bigger saws for bigger trees if I need them. But I usually dont need them for even the bigger trees. Most are under 30 inches. The bigger trees are far and few lately. If I need to I can cut them with my 361 and dont really need anything bigger.

Agreed...

Most of the firewood I cut is between 12 to 18 inches. The two saws I use most are the Husky346 and the Stihl 361. I have bigger saws for bigger trees if I need them. But I usually dont need them for even the bigger trees. Most are under 30 inches. The bigger trees are far and few lately. If I need to I can cut them with my 361 and dont really need anything bigger.
And, usually a smaller saw is handier than a bigger one. I keep a 40 cc class saw for that (Echo 3900), and lately I backed it up with a vintage Stihl 010 AV, just in case one of them goes on the blink. The lighter saws are great for limbing and small bucking.

Question, should read. ' Your Favorite Firewood Saw '

I like the smaller high performance saws best...

:cheers:

Last edited:
When I hear 'firewood saw' I am thinking a saw for limbing, bucking and noodling. In which case, I think you will be happy with a ~60cc saw with an 18" or 20" bar. Husqy and Stihl both have a good assortment in the mid-range (landowner) varieties.

460 gets my vote. I have had mine for about 6 months now and couldn't be more pleased with the performance.

No right answer

Totally dependent on how much you cut and the size. Also what brands are available in your area.

My opinion, best bang for the buck that will truly do everything from felling, limbing, and bucking is the Dolmar PS7900 with a 20 inch B&C. Power of an 80 to 85 cc saw with a weight that a lot of 70cc class saws wish they had. Pricing around here is in the $650 to $700 range. In short out of the box, there is no other saw I know of that gets close to the Dolmar's power in the same weight range. The fact it's $100 to $150 less than it's competitor(s) is a huge bonus.

Take care
I agree with Swamp Yankee!! Just got a 79cc in the mail from nmurph. Just installed kit from the 6401. Cut up an old cherry tree in a flash!!! Puts firewood cutting in a whole different dimension. Incredible saw. If I was allowed only 1 saw for cutting my firewood. And I heat 100% with wood since 1976. It would be this Makita 79cc! Bob (Cheeves)

Back