The big rush

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
The threat of 20 degree weather has cleared my lot of every stick of wood. 45 cords sold in 2 weeks. The last 3 days they have been lined up down the drive waiting to load. I should have stocked more wood. Time to start over for next year. This is the first year I sold out so early. Hows everyone's inventory doing. Anyone else sold out?

i'm not pushing wood like i usually do because of my back. only do about 25 cord a year for beer and CAD money. :rolleyes: most of my sales are my 1/4 cord bins i set beside the road. i think a lot of people are burning oil or gas due to cheaper prices. lots of craigslist ads for firewood too.

split 20 "face" cords...sold 16 just for beer and fun money...remaining 4 have snow piled up in front of them...if someone really wants them, gonna pay a little extra...if not, i have 4 ready to go in the spring...

Completely sold out,

and inquiries still coming out of the woodwork. In this area, during the normal busy time Labor Day through Thanksgiving inquiries and sales for a lot of sellers, myself included, were way down. People had wood left over due to last year's mild winter, and of course assumed this year would be the same. They didn't think they would need more, or just forgot about ordering. With the onset of winter, that leftover pile is starting to take a beating and not looking as big as it did.

The recent cold snap has really enhanced the issue. Even though the price of home heating oil is still reasonable, people just hate hearing that boiler kicking on and running to keep things warm. They miss the heat of a wood stove.

The 5 cord a year guys are long gone, and a bunch of the less scrupulous sellers are pushing green as seasoned to take advantage of the demand. I won't do this, even if you tell people it's green upfront, they will bad mouth you to no end for selling green as seasoned. I took a lot of heat 6-8 weeks ago for refusing to sell a guy wood because I had 2 repeat customers that I hadn't delivered to and wanted to make sure I had supply to cover their needs.

No doubt the firewood business is a swinging pendulum.

Take Care

i go to a hay/firewood auction and this past Tuesday i thought prices were low for the quality of wood there. one guy had dumped several piles (pickup size) of ash that was probably dry enough to burn but not split and it brought $33 a pile. unfortunately a lot of guys bring wood in that are just looking for a quick buck and don't care about length or size of splits. :angry:

Fall was as busy as ever for me. Sold all seasoned wood I had and could have sold a lot more. People are now willing to buy partly seasoned wood and I will be making a few deliveries today.

I just blew a pathway to the back of my field to my 16” split woodpile but have no intentions to load or sell any until we get a melt. The pile is 15’ tall and covered with snow. Had a few loads spoken for but no money so no wood and now when they call l will send them a pic of the woodpile. Not my fault they can’t plan more than a few weeks ahead.

I just blew a pathway to the back of my field to my 16” split woodpile but have no intentions to load or sell any until we get a melt. The pile is 15’ tall and covered with snow. Had a few loads spoken for but no money so no wood and now when they call l will send them a pic of the woodpile. Not my fault they can’t plan more than a few weeks ahead.

I had some calling at 9 PM on Christmas eve wanting wood that night. lol

I won't do this, even if you tell people it's green upfront, they will bad mouth you to no end for selling green as seasoned.

No doubt the firewood business is a swinging pendulum.

Take Care

I've never had that issue. 95% of the wood I sell isn't seasoned. Lots of folks buy a year or two ahead.

The threat of 20 degree weather has cleared my lot of every stick of wood. 45 cords sold in 2 weeks. The last 3 days they have been lined up down the drive waiting to load. I should have stocked more wood. Time to start over for next year. This is the first year I sold out so early. Hows everyone's inventory doing. Anyone else sold out?
Now that you have money in your pocket, might be a good time to buy that new splitter your looking for. :chop::chop:

I've never had that issue. 95% of the wood I sell isn't seasoned. Lots of folks buy a year or two ahead.

People buying wood in the middle winter are not buying to use 2 years from now. They are unloading it from your truck to their burners. I was wondering in this day and age of everyone not taking responsibility for their actions, are you the least bit concerned when someone slimes up their chimney with creosote from burning your wet wood and their house burns down that they won't come back on you for damages?

People buying wood in the middle winter are not buying to use 2 years from now. They are unloading it from your truck to their burners. I was wondering in this day and age of everyone not taking responsibility for their actions, are you the least bit concerned when someone slimes up their chimney with creosote from burning your wet wood and their house burns down that they won't come back on you for damages?

Personally, I don't see a problem if he is up front and HONEST about the wood not being seasoned.

If I go to a self service fuel island and pump my tank full of Gasoline in a truck that has a Diesel in it, should I be able to sue the station if the pumps were Clearly marked?

If the pumps were incorrectly labeled, or Valley was selling Green Wood as Seasoned, then I feel there should be some accountability/responsibility, but if a customer uses ANY product in a way that it is not intended to be used, then they should accept the consequences of their actions.

Just MY Opinion, YMMV,

Doug

i got a call while i was at wally world from an older guy wanting a half cord. he had given me about a dozen apple trees to cut down a few years ago so it is hard to say no. who knows he might need to get rid of more apple trees.
above wood delivered and about 30 apple trees for me to cut down as soon as they call me back.

Don't see how that is the sellers problem or responsibility. Unless he was advertising it as dry seasoned wood.

You mean the same people that burn fires in there fireplace without having them checked for years, if ever? Or the same one's that build a roaring fire in a cheap sheet metal fireplace not designed for big fires? You mean those people?

Back