The big rush

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People buying wood in the middle winter are not buying to use 2 years from now. They are unloading it from your truck to their burners. I was wondering in this day and age of everyone not taking responsibility for their actions, are you the least bit concerned when someone slimes up their chimney with creosote from burning your wet wood and their house burns down that they won't come back on you for damages?

If they choose to burn it right away, that's their choice.

I don't sell it as being seasoned. We sell around 500 cords a year and yes, many people buy now for next year.

I am getting setup to season around 25-30 cords for next year.

You mean the same people that burn fires in there fireplace without having them checked for years, if ever? Or the same one's that build a roaring fire in a cheap sheet metal fireplace not designed for big fires? You mean those people?

That is EXACTLY what I mean. Some people are always looking to place the blame else where for things that happen that were completely their fault. And to the posters above that don't see a problem all I can say is McDonalds and hot coffee.

That is EXACTLY what I mean. Some people are always looking to place the blame else where for things that happen that were completely their fault. And to the posters above that don't see a problem all I can say is McDonalds and hot coffee.

If "All you can say is McDonald's, and Hot Coffee " then you obviously haven't seen the pictures of the injuries, and don't know many of the details.

I like my Coffee HOT, but what Mickey D's served that woman was Dangerous, I don't condone Frivolous Law Suits, but what that woman suffered was way beyond redness or minor blistering that you would expect from "Spilled Coffee " she required multiple Skin Grafts and Surgeries, it was not a Minor Incident, and no one should have to suffer what she did.

I don't disagree with you about many people not accepting responsibility for their own actions, and that lawsuits have gotten ridiculous in many cases, but in MY Opinion, the McDonalds Hot Coffee is a Poor Example to cite to make your point.

Doug

If "All you can say is McDonald's, and Hot Coffee " then you obviously haven't seen the pictures of the injuries, and don't know many of the details.

I like my Coffee HOT, but what Mickey D's served that woman was Dangerous, I don't condone Frivolous Law Suits, but what that woman suffered was way beyond redness or minor blistering that you would expect from "Spilled Coffee " she required multiple Skin Grafts and Surgeries, it was not a Minor Incident, and no one should have to suffer what she did.

I don't disagree with you about many people not accepting responsibility for their own actions, and that lawsuits have gotten ridiculous in many cases, but in MY Opinion, the McDonalds Hot Coffee is a Poor Example to cite to make your point.

Doug

Point taken thank you. Not trying to start a pissing match here just merely making an observation that even thought Valley is not misrepresenting his product, to think that in and of itself will insulate him from some sue happy people that burn their house down, because of a creosote chimney fire from burning wet wood is being a bit naïve in my opinion. Not being judgmental here all I ask was IF this was a concern for him?

Point taken thank you. Not trying to start a pissing match here just merely making an observation that even thought Valley is not misrepresenting his product, to think that in and of itself will insulate him from some sue happy people that burn their house down, because of a creosote chimney fire from burning wet wood is being a bit naïve in my opinion. Not being judgmental here all I ask was IF this was a concern for him?

If your worried about a law suit, then don't sell anything, to anyone. They could sue you for a number of reasons from tripping and or falling while on your property loading wood, to suing you for termites. Or if you deliver, they may sue for a broken driveway, sidewalk, broken potted plant, or if you stacked it for them and the stack fell over while there kids were climbing on the stack. I could think of a hundred ways you could be sued. Just because you get sued, doesn't mean they automatically win.

You mean the same people that burn fires in there fireplace without having them checked for years, if ever? Or the same one's that build a roaring fire in a cheap sheet metal fireplace not designed for big fires? You mean those people?

I am a fan of "Loser Pays" Laws, where the loser pays ALL court costs, And the opposing sides legal costs, Yes it can prevent some justifiable suits, but it also discourages Frivolous Litigation.

The Frivolous Litigation, is what I imagine Dogsout was thinking of, where a plaintiff sues, hoping for an out of court settlement, while not a Lottery Jackpot, can still often be substantial.

The risk of having to pay the defendants legal costs can deter many, especially when they have a contingency fee attorney, that only collects if there is a settlement. Nothing to lose, and possibly Tens of Thousands of Dollars if they Win. Loser Pays Laws make them reconsider the strength of their case before filing suit.

Doug

If they choose to burn it right away, that's their choice.

I don't sell it as being seasoned. We sell around 500 cords a year and yes, many people buy now for next year.

I am getting setup to season around 25-30 cords for next year.

What kind of premium will you charge for the seasoned???

selling a bit more now that temps have dropped to near 0*. ;) selling my 1/4 cord bins of seasoned locust for $60 a pop. they haul. selling them almost as fast as i can fill them. a lot of people are not regular wood burners but just trying to fend off the colder temps. i usually ask if they have had their chimney cleaned recently and if they have smoke detectors and a fire extinguisher. most are pertty good with 2 out of 3.

Personally, I don't see a problem if he is up front and HONEST about the wood not being seasoned.

If I go to a self service fuel island and pump my tank full of Gasoline in a truck that has a Diesel in it, should I be able to sue the station if the pumps were Clearly marked?

If the pumps were incorrectly labeled, or Valley was selling Green Wood as Seasoned, then I feel there should be some accountability/responsibility, but if a customer uses ANY product in a way that it is not intended to be used, then they should accept the consequences of their actions.

Just MY Opinion, YMMV,

Doug
Good point Doug.
When I bought my house and inspected the Superflue chimney it had so much buildup in it that I knew the renters that were living here were burning all kinds of unseasoned wood for a few years without cleaning the chimney.
I of course did a thorough cleaning and only burn well seasoned wood and I never have creosote at all, but I still sweep the chimney twice yearly.
My method is to season my wood at least one year from time of splitting for most species other than Oak, Elm and some really knotted Sugar Maple bits. They get two or three years.

Back