The "Firing it up" thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
owb

Yeah i fired up too seems to be 0ct1st the past two yrs but nothing like it...especially the past two days being high 40's and rain come in to a warm home its kinda exciting to know ur heating for free but supposed to warm a little this week but still might let it simmer theres nothing to lose:biggrin:

We had a couple of tiny fires late in September. We seemed to burn less so far this year compared to other years since we insulated and sealed our attic. Last night was windy and dropped to the high 30's so we had a fire with about 1/3 load of slabwood. Its been our first overnight fire this season. This was from this morning with a small load of slabwood. Feels good to have the heat when its windy, damp and chilly. Its going to warm up next week, so no 24/7 yet.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_3bFbaAZwlo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice secondary going there, I lit my first of the season Fri night, one Sun morning, and one this morning, just some splitter shrapnel and a couple of med splits each time to chase the chill out of the house, no-ware close to cool enough for an all over night burn yet.

Fired up the OWB yesterday afternoon. It was 52 in the house and wife WANTED heat. Living on a northern slope hurts because no sun exposure keeps it cold. The secondary bonus of the heat is it knocks the dampness out of the house. Won't turn it off until mid April. I'll start dad's OWB around the 1st of Dec. Newer house and insulation help a bunch. Stay warm.

Shea

I have been burning plenty, inside wood stove. It got down to 26°f Friday night. But still crazy weather now calling for highs in the upper 70's almost 80 the next few days. No 24/7 yet.

It's usually about 10/1 for me as well, but the forecast is calling for 70's the next ten days so I can't say when yet.

Fired up my OWB yesterday morning, was 42 deg., mainly to heat the garage, waxed my car. Wood stove was doing ok...it IS way too early, for me at least, normally don't fire up the OWB until 2nd/3rd week of Oct.

Have not started my owb. Try to wait till the end of October. I have a gas furance also and it just does not seem worth the wood for all the more my furnace runs this time of year. I used to start it the first of October the first few years I owned it. Four weeks of not burning it sure saves a pile of wood. I heat two homes with mine and it likes the wood.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

I had taken down my stove pipe in the spring to get a bluejay out of it. I put it back up yesterday. I built a small fire to burn the dust off. It was nice for about an hour, but soon I was sweating pretty good.

I havent fired up my OWB yet, its been down to about 59 in my basement but the contractor hasnt gotten here yet to insulate the upstairs and so I cant really see firing up to let all the heat out of the basement and into the cold upstairs. Contractor is supposed to be here in a week or 2 to get this done then I'll be fireing up fo the season. I managed to get my wood shed built and filled last month so I'm pretty much ready on that end, last night I got the heat excanger hooked up for m DHW so as soon as I get the bathroom and kitchen done I'll have hot running water.... what a novel idea that will be, I was happier than a pig in **** just to have cold water back in august.

View attachment 201575
Not sure if the pic will work, I havnt posted any pics lately and it looks like the process has changed a little, guess it might me time to do a search. At any rate after 10 days in september I now have a wood shed, eventually I'll side the peak to get it to match the house but the sides will stay open for better air flow, I'm looking forward to not having to dig throuh the snow this year :)

Here's your pic.

201575d1317749213-101_2701-jpg

Here's your pic.

201575d1317749213-101_2701-jpg

WOW - that looks convenient! My wood shed is over 100 feet away from my boiler. Would have just situated the boiler closer to the shed but at $14.00 a foot for thermopex, I'll happily lug my wood the extra bit!

**Or, show the wife this pic and get pre-approval on a NEW woodshed!!** :laugh:

Thanks for imbeding that, I'll figure it out again at some point.

When I placed the boiler last year I had plans for the shed to be close, it ended up on an angle of 45* to the boiler because of my water and electric lines running just to the lt side of the poles (about 8' away) but the angle really helped me when I was loading it. I was able to dump wood with my backhoe under the eaves and stick the buisness end of the splitter in the shed under the gabel end. With the splitter hooked to the skidsteer hyd's I split alot of wood right in the shed so I'm glad it enede up the way it did. Its about 5' from the door of the boiler and the peak is 16' high so I shouldnt have to worry about smoke building up inside while loading.

Just fired mine up 1 hour ago. Winter Storm Watch with the cold front about to hit!!

Gettysburg PA checking in. Fired it up last night. Burned oil the previous 2 nights and couldn't take it so..... looks like we're going to be packing the basement w/ wood this weekend.

My wife has been acting weird lately.It was 61 in the house Sunday morning and she said it was fine and not to fire it up yet... :msp_ohmy:

I would love to be able to hold out till November.

10/6 0900 50º inside the house...lit it :)

Was nice snuggling under the comforters and sleeping in this morning (have been doing a lot of evening work this week so I could shift my hours a bit), but might bit chilly once I got up!

October 3. Couldn't take listening to the oil burner any longer after listening to it heating water all summer.

I've had a couple of small fires in september but this is the first time the wood furnace was going all day. I will probably burn again tomorrow, but they are calling for warm temps after that, so that may be it for another week or so.

NE Kansas here, been in the 80's this week even hit 90 on Wednesday (although we did get some lows in the 30's in late Sept.) so no fire in the OWB yet. I'm guessing Late Oct to early Nov. Already had it burning this time last year, but it was my first year so I couldn't resist getting started. Probably save myself some wood this year. I am ready to go.

Back