The MS461.........A Peek Inside

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MS461027.jpg

Randy

Did you grind that edge of the lower transfer on the bore side, as low below the deck surface as it looks in this pic??

I've got a 461 apart on the bench and I'm scratching my head a bit on "the plan".:cheers:

I think Randy is in a chicken truck, on his way to Va.

Are you talking about the actual edge of the bore or the divider in the transfer port?

Isn't there mobile service in a chicken truck....lol:D

I'm talking about the edge of the bore.....On 372's etc., in the Husky line up, we usually take that edge down to about flush with the deck and blend it all in, but this 461 starts out flush and Randy's pic looks like he took it a fair bit below the deck?

Randy

Did you grind that edge of the lower transfer on the bore side, as low below the deck surface as it looks in this pic??

I've got a 461 apart on the bench and I'm scratching my head a bit on "the plan".:cheers:

It's still flush Rob. After shaving the base I thinned it is all.

It's still flush Rob. After shaving the base I thinned it is all.

Thanks!:cheers:

Pretty low intake #'s in this one.......I deleted the gasket (Had to take a tiny cut off the piston to feel comfortable), and it's still 145 on the intake.....I don't want to change much else on this one. Just a little widening.

Thanks!:cheers:

Pretty low intake #'s in this one.......I deleted the gasket (Had to take a tiny cut off the piston to feel comfortable), and it's still 145 on the intake.....I don't want to change much else on this one. Just a little widening.

You did the right thing IMHO. Making small changes is better than ending up with a torqueless turd. :msp_wink:

now I ain't no logger but I think the 8 pin is a bit ambitious for a 36" bar on any 76.5 cc saw

Any idea how many million board feet of timber I've fell and bucked with 046+460 Stihls that were stock with 8 tooth sprockets pulling 30-36" bars. It's a bunch. I was scared to try an 8 tooth at first . But then I did and never went back . The 460+461 aren't the saw if you are constantly cutting 34" of wood but for typical falling andbucking they are great. I was even running semi skip for a lot of the time and I prefer it . I run 8 tooth on my 372 Huskies also. A 7 tooth works OK but vibrates more.

And by and large I ain't no logger either. I'm a timber faller.
Course I have done lots of loggin too.!! :msp_wink:

Any idea how many million board feet of timber I've fell and bucked with 046+460 Stihls that were stock with 8 tooth sprockets pulling 30-36" bars. It's a bunch. I was scared to try an 8 tooth at first . But then I did and never went back . The 460+461 aren't the saw if you are constantly cutting 34" of wood but for typical falling andbucking they are great. I was even running semi skip for a lot of the time and I prefer it . I run 8 tooth on my 372 Huskies also. A 7 tooth works OK but vibrates more.

And by and large I ain't no logger either. I'm a timber faller.
Course I have done lots of loggin too.!! :msp_wink:

Hey in Darren's defence he's probably forgotten the difference between the timber you fall and our good old Australian hardwood :)
Skip on a 36" bar though is basically the same as non skip on a 24" bar so if your saw will pull an 8 tooth rim on a 24" bar with non skip and providing the oiler will keep up then skip with an 8 tooth rim on a 36" bar isn't a big deal.
My ported and pop upped 7900 will pull a 42" bar quite convincingly buried in hardwood with non skip but I'd toast the bar if I tried it for more than one cut.

As you mentioned if you had a 36" bar buried all day on a 70cc saw then it's probably not the ideal choice but for the odd cut here and there I don't see a problem.

Does anyone know if there is an outer small bucking spike that matches the standard One it comes with? Any help would be great

Latest posts

Back