The new Husqvarna "flippy" caps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that's a pretty closed minded response.
lots of people out there with "bad hands" that have no probem running saws. it's the small fuel and oil caps with small grips on them that is more of a complaint than anything. even people with 'good hands' have problems fumbling the caps. then add gloves to the mix and it gets worse.
case in point: worked with a fellow who was born with no thumbs. ran a chainsaw ( homelite xl 12 and xl922) no issues for years and years. goes in and buys his first new chainsaw in 20+ years (this was maybe 15 years ago), the main complaint from him was ONLY about the oil cap. couldn't open it without the scrench. that was the only complaint. fast forward to last summer. he goes and buys a stihl ms260. last one on the shelf at 1000 islands rental. loves the flippy caps. now the only complaint is not enough oil to the bar/chain.
he still wishes companies would put nice big 'jar lid' style caps on saws like they did way back when.

Seriously this excuse only works for thumbless folks with husky because; if folks took time to see their caps need only slightly snugged there would be no problem. I barely snug mine never came off easy to remove and I'm getting carple tunnel so if I can anyone can!

Seriously this excuse only works for thumbless folks with husky because; if folks took time to see their caps need only slightly snugged there would be no problem. I barely snug mine never came off easy to remove and I'm getting carple tunnel so if I can anyone can!

Same here. Been running saws since 1976, Homey, johnsy, husky, stihl, pullon, Never had a cap loosen on any of them and I don't 'reef' on 'em. Never have understood why people use screnches to tighten them - IMO that should be classified as abuse of equipment.

Harry K

carple tunnel is a minor ache compared to arthritis where it deforms your fingers to the point turning small caps is almost impossible. after a while the pain subsides but the fingers are left crooked. big difference there.
weather or not somebody is ham fisting their caps into place isn't the argument. it's ease of use for some.

carple tunnel is a minor ache compared to arthritis where it deforms your fingers to the point turning small caps is almost impossible. after a while the pain subsides but the fingers are left crooked. big difference there.
weather or not somebody is ham fisting their caps into place isn't the argument. it's ease of use for some.

Well that may be but I only know what my pain is and at times I can barely hold the saw also have old boxer fractures that kill my wrists from my stupid years.
I really feel chainsaws should be a controlled substance instead of mass marketed to all the wanna be's but then I'm biased :)

I am constantly amazed at mankind's ability to adapt to new technology, natural disasters, war, pestilence and famine.....but cannot get their minds around the operation of a flippy cap.:confused:

I am constantly amazed at mankind's ability to adapt to new technology, natural disasters, war, pestilence and famine.....but cannot get their minds around the operation of a flippy cap.:confused:

I find it interesting that you compare the flippy cap to natural disasters, war, pestilence, and famine. Seems kind of harsh to me, at most they are just a small mis-step in human history, hardly a Hitler level event.

Mr. HE:cool:

I find it interesting that you compare the flippy cap to natural disasters, war, pestilence, and famine. Seems kind of harsh to me, at most they are just a small mis-step in human history, hardly a Hitler level event.

Mr. HE:cool:

The analogy was meant to emphasize our occasional unwillingness to adapt to new ideas (flippy caps) until forced to, as in natural disasters and so-on. Flippy Caps are certainly not a Hitler level event. Kodak did not think digital photography was ever going to "catch on" either. I have a friend that buys flippy caps by the bag for his MS440 and MS260 because he will not take the time to make sure the cap is orientated correctly. I like them....I don't have wonder where I put the scrench.

I think Husqvarna should not have done this(customer POV)-should result in massive increase in new style gas cap sales in the near future- engineering for higher parts profits).

:mad2:
I dont think you can loosen the cap with the scrench like on their old style?

Another solution in search of a problem.

Does anyone know why Husky switched from the green
o-ring sealing ring on the gas caps to the black o-rings? I really liked the green o-rings.

Iv been using these caps for over two months over 150litres plenty of refills and no problems I find them a godsent as the oil cap especially is easier to remove without the need to take off your gloves . Iv got quite large hands so maybe the guys with smaller hands wouldn't have this trouble anyway they do help in cold weather and like everything things break if not treated correctly.

But, the only similarity between the two is the flip up grip. They are completely different in operation. The Husky version is nothing more than a standard cap with a handle on it. To say they are "pretty much the same" is way off the mark.
I totally agree this would have been better for stihl to have done. Huskys are not gadgets, good job husky as usual better engineers :p

Latest posts

Back