The "Official" 2012 YOU SUCK! Thread -- Pics Required

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of these deals were word of mouth. All my friends know I have CAD.

I bought a Homelite C-52 from a guy that said it hadn't run since 1980 for $50. I filed the points and got it running great. It is a fun saw to run and cuts well.

I got a bunch of chain loops from a guy that used to own a Husky dealership. He went out of business years go and was getting rid of all his stuff from his store. He old loops for $4 each no matter what the length. I got loops for two friends too, probably 50 total. I also got them a pair of chaps each and he seller threw in a pair of chainsaw pants that fit me to sweeten the deal. I won't need chain for a very long time.

I started cutting firewood at a friend's property. He said he had a bunch of old saws I could have. he gave me a very nice Husqvarna 55, a husky 136 (I think), a poulan that I don't remember and a Husqvarna cutoff saw. I also have a gate code and unlimited access for free firewood and hunting whenever I want.

I got a Stihl 028 from a guy that thought ATF would make good 2 cycle mix for $30. Fail. I rebuilt the saw and it runs like new.

We sold our house and moved in July. I answered an add and picked up a low hour Jonsered 70e that had been abused and left for dead. The seller told me the price was $30 if I fixed the saw and let him use it hen he needed it or $40 to buy it outright. I gave him $40. With no garage I didn't have time or a place to go through it. I finally found the time last week and got some borrowed space in a friend's garage. I was nervous that this one would have a bad coil because it had no spark but I found that one of the coil bolts was missing and it had swung away fom the flywheel. Once I replaced he missing bolt I had spark. I had to fix the air filter cover knob and have a very nice but dirty 70e. That saw had the smelliest varnished gas that I have ever experienced in an old engine.

On the way up to the Nor Cal GTG I picked up a Homelite Super XL Auto and a McCulloch 2-10 for $20 each. The XL needed the points filed and it had a mass of oil and sawdust that was packed against the clutch. It was baked hard from the heat developed by friction. The DPO sold it because it was low on power. I found out why. Now it runs great.

The Mac had been run with the clutch nut loose. It tore up the keyed crankshaft. I am still looking for parts for it. I took it and the XL out of the hands of a fool. I was too late with the Mac.

A friend told me about and older neighbor who was getting rid of "junk" including some old chainsaws under his house. He gave me 2 Homelite XL Autos, a C-51, and a Homelite 900G. He also had two NOS Homelite bars, a vintage Oregon bar and a 1/2" pitch chain that was almost new and a David-Bradley bar and chain for the 900G and a bunch of old Homlite 3/8" chain. He thanked me over and over for saving him a trip to the dump. He had a home break-in a few months before and the thieves stole a brand new Stihl saw he used to prune trees. I gav him the Husky 55 so he could maintain is property. He was elated. We both came out on top. Igot one of the XLs running and gave it to my friend who tipped me off on the del. many years ago he had a home obey and one of he items stolen was an XL that he had borrowed from his brother-in-law. He gave it to his BIL Sunday afternoon. Steve said he was floored when he received the saw. Another win-win situation for all involved.

Sunday afternoon I visited a fiend who is an arborist. He asked me to fix some saws or him. In return he gave me a used Husqvarna 257 and a bunch of brand new .404 chain. I just missed a 084 he gave away. DARN!

In looking back 2012 was a great year for me. I am looking onward to 2013. If you want to see pictures of these saws go through my started threads.

Bob

You all suck! Haha. Not only did I get ZERO deals.........EVER. But I overpaid for 2 big items in 2012 because I needed them and couldn't wait for a deal. DAMMIT!!:msp_mad:

I didn't get any "you suck" deals last year, however,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I found a little Honey hole.

After talking with the Gentleman, I can't see trying to get a you suck deal from him. I will probably pay him more than he thought they were worth.

Good. If he gets more than he thinks they are worth, he'll remember you and may have a referral for you, or another saw tucked back. If not, at least he won't remember you as someone who tried to take unfair advantage. Ron

Good. If he gets more than he thinks they are worth, he'll remember you and may have a referral for you, or another saw tucked back. If not, at least he won't remember you as someone who tried to take unfair advantage. Ron

That old dude is pushing 90 if he aint already there.

He's been in the OPE business since the end of the war me thinks.

He is frail but his memory is sharper than mine.

I think I may have got the best "you SUCK" just having a few talks with him:bowdown:

did pretty well on this one,
attachment.php
under $100.

These two Jonsereds and this grinder for under 5 bills

101_2752.jpg

101_2876.jpg

This 372 for 100$

IMG_20120720_114209.jpg

Both for a grand.

IMG_20120508_163257.jpg

and these too.
IMG_20120505_150613.jpg

The pay sucks at my job but these fringe benefits help make up for it.
Just remember, after the deal on that MAGII, I get dibs on all 2 series that come in the shop.

[video=youtube;KaD89X7CcU8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaD89X7CcU8&list=UUOsW3VE1FyuFwb0P9OEBNsQ&index=16[/video]

Found old basket case out by the curb. She takes the same spark plug as my Stihl trimmer. It was all there, though. I love the old Holiday
Pioneer. Contributing carbon credits since 1971. Happy new year.

I'm a "rookie" and only began the saw quest this year, but here are a couple finds.

two 394's, in parts but complete. 372xp, 365 special, 334xt, 020t and a running 044. Included a few bars and chains as well for 400.00
View attachment 270971
View attachment 270972
View attachment 270973

This pair (039 & 61) for 50.00
View attachment 270974

A 288, 372xp bottom, 268, 61, 362xp, 51, 43. Along with an assortment of 7 misc saws (smaller pioneers, craftsman and a Makita), alsp 3 Stihl straight shaft trimmers. Boxes of parts, bars and chains. $(I can't say online)
View attachment 270975

Very cool. This could lead toward a whole new trend of "sleeper suckage".

If you have way cool saws that you don't even remember you have?

Well..., guess what?

Yup.:laugh:

I just had that same thing happen as I looked at some older pics I had on photobucket... Saw a few pics of a J-red 910E that i totally forgot I had! ...Not exactly sure where it is right now... Or if I ever ran it... Pics showed it had good compression too!

I guess that means I may have too many saws

It's just wrong

You guys getting all these great machines, running or not, for what it cost's me to pee in a cup and have some poor lab tech report back to the Dr ................ yup, this guy is screwed in life .......... !!!

Jokes aside, congrats on finding and keeping CAD alive. One can never have too many hammers and screw drivers.

:ah:

Back