The official 261 to 262XP conversion thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:spam:

ahh....

but did they have gas from the same pump in them? were both clean of oil and chips (inside and out)? did either of them have crud between the bar rails? exactly how many sharpenings had each chain had? were the rakers of equal height? did either saw have chipped paint?

it all adds up...

That is exactly why half a pound doesn't matter in the real world.
Those two saws are close enough in weight that it doesn't matter.
Probably in power too.
But the war goes on....................................:confused:

What's so fishy and hard to believe about this?

147734086_thvHY-M.jpg

147734095_QSCTn-M.jpg

That is exactly why half a pound doesn't matter in the real world.
Those two saws are close enough in weight that it doesn't matter.
Probably in power too.
But the war goes on....................................:confused:

That is right - but it annoys me when people weights two used saws that probably have same gunk in them, with different bars, and maybe not the same amount of fluids, on a bathroom weight - and conclude that it is the end of story about the empty powerhead weight........:censored:

I give up on this one. A year ago at the GTG in Southern Ohio we weighed and posted pictures of a 361 and a 357 both outfitted with the same length bar and tanks full ready to cut. They weight the exact same amount. How hard can this be folks?

So how does the stock 357 stack up against a stock 361 in timed cuts? I'm about to buy a 60cc saw soon and although I've been Husky guy I'm leaning towards the 361. It seems that nobody is all that impressed with the 357 and getting ahold of an unmolested used 262 for less than the price of a new saw is getting tougher. I hate to say it but Husky really dropped the ball on the 60cc saw when they ditched the 262.

Last edited:
That is right - but it annoys me when people weights two used saws that probably have same gunk in them, with different bars, and maybe not the same amount of fluids, on a bathroom weight - and conclude that it is the end of story about the empty powerhead weight........:censored:

So who cuts with an emtyp power head with no bar? These saws were setup ready to go cut wood, the only way a saw can be used.

I'm really not trying to make an enemy here.:cheers:

261 muffler mod

I love my old 261 and the thought of more power is very appealing. Can one of you coach me on how to best modify the muffler for best performance.
Thanks in advance!

So who cuts with an emtyp power head with no bar? These saws were setup ready to go cut wood, the only way a saw can be used.

I'm really not trying to make an enemy here.:cheers:

You are not, but the only fair weight comparisons is clean and empty powerheads, without cutting attachments, as anything else bring a lot of varieties into the picture.....

You are not, but the only fair weight comparisons is clean and empty powerheads, without cutting attachments, as anything else bring a lot of varieties into the picture.....

Sorry Troll but Mr Snelling is right on this one. What does it matter if the Stihl power head weighs less, but the Stihl bar weighs more so the whole thing evens out? When the saws are in the woods is what matters, not what the spower heads weigh on paper towels on the floor of a perfectly clean shop floor.

Brad knows what he is doing, and if he says both saws were full of fuel and oil then they were. Also both saws look pretty clean, not "full of gunk".

Sorry buddy, I know you REALLY want the 361 to weigh a half pound less, but gravity does not cease to exist around the 361, contrary to its reputation

So how does the stock 357 stack up against a stock 361 in timed cuts? I'm about to buy a 60cc saw soon and although I've been Husky guy I'm leaning towards the 361. It seems that nobody is all that impressed with the 357 and getting ahold of an unmolested used 262 for less than the price of a new saw is getting tougher. I hate to say it but Husky really dropped the ball on the 60cc saw when they ditched the 262.

I have never seen ONE complaint from a 357 owner about power or performance. Its a great saw.

I have never seen ONE complaint from a 357 owner about power or performance. Its a great saw.

I searched around and couldn't find much info on the 357 at all. With specs so close to the almighty 361 you would think somebody would be raving about one? I am not opposed to buying a 361 if its a better saw but I already own all huskies and its nice to standardize the fleet if possible. Has anyone ever ran a 357 stock for stock against a 361? It seems the weight is so close that it wouldnt matter much. Its all about performance now......

I searched around and couldn't find much info on the 357 at all. With specs so close to the almighty 361 you would think somebody would be raving about one? I am not opposed to buying a 361 if its a better saw but I already own all huskies and its nice to standardize the fleet if possible. Has anyone ever ran a 357 stock for stock against a 361? It seems the weight is so close that it wouldnt matter much. Its all about performance now......

When the competition was the MS360 and not the 361 - there were lots of "rave" rewiews on the 357xp here.
Search, and go back to 2003 or 2004.......

There is at least five years worth of threads on the 357XP, I suggest you try different search parameters. Sometimes the 361 can be had a little cheaper than the 357XP, especially since Husky no longer sells online. I would handle them both and get whichever you think feels better in your hands, you wont be disappointed with either saw. The reason the 361 is a good runner is because its designed like a Husky. Performance wise they are about the same

There is at least five years worth of threads on the 357XP, I suggest you try different search parameters. Sometimes the 361 can be had a little cheaper than the 357XP, especially since Husky no longer sells online. I would handle them both and get whichever you think feels better in your hands, you wont be disappointed with either saw. The reason the 361 is a good runner is because its designed like a Husky. Performance wise they are about the same

Exactly!

The 361 engine has more in common with the Husky xp ones, than with the traditional 2-channel Stihl engines.

Back