The official 261 to 262XP conversion thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i can't see how you can argue with bsnelling.

he is 100% right.what is the point on an empty powerhead?

the 357 and the 361 are so close it isn't funny.the only deciding factors on which one to purchase are..................

dealer location and the Husky has better fuel and bar oil caps.

Thanks Spike

Just want to say thank you for the posting. My friends 261got fried last year. I just got done rebuilding using Bailey's piston and cylinder. Drilled out the muffler as well but did not do the clutch for now. He was grinning from ear to ear when he laid it into some walnut today.
Thanks again.

Steph

i know this is an old thread, but will the 261 really be the same as a 262. or is it still just a 261 trying to be a 262?

thanks

I need to look.....but I think I will do a 359/2159 to 262 conversion.......more updated

Did you ever pursue this? 261/262 builders are getting harder and harder to find, but 359's are common and have the more updated Husky chassis, two-point mounted brake handle, etc.

I am very curious as I am trying to build a 262XP now and I'm having fits finding parts.

i know this is an old thread, but will the 261 really be the same as a 262. or is it still just a 261 trying to be a 262?

thanks

Am sure if Spike says so, it will be!

TT

It will be, if you change what Spike said - basically change the piston, muffler and clutch (+ some decales)! :msp_smile:

The number plate will still reveal what it originally was though, if the model number and/or the product number is on it.

Let me know what 261/262 parts you are looking for I may have it. I'm not a dealer but I have more Husky saw parts than my closest dealer. I also have other 200 series saw parts.

Shep

Did you ever pursue this? 261/262 builders are getting harder and harder to find, but 359's are common and have the more updated Husky chassis, two-point mounted brake handle, etc.

I am very curious as I am trying to build a 262XP now and I'm having fits finding parts.

To answer my own question the answer is no, not a chance - the 262XP top end will not bolt up to the 359 bottom end.

New guy here, but have a blown 261 I was gonna rebuild and someone pointed me here.......definately gonna do this conversion, THANKS!

Yeah, I forgot about that. The 262/262 block is 503544161 and the 257 is 503832502. The gaskets are probably different also, but I didn't check.

Hi, I know this is an old thread, but does this part # tell you that this is a 261/262xp intake? Part #503544101 I'm doing the conversion from a 257. Thanks!

Haha! Took over 2.5 years but someone finally replied to your testing 1,2,3. Thanks for not taking nearly as long to get back to me! Thank you, I already have an oe cylinder, I'll order the manifold while I have access to a good used one and when then time comes all I'll need is a Metor piston.

Back