The principle of buying local.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your local dealer probably pays a lot more to get those items than the bulk buyers. He probably isn't higher by choice, but by necessity. You cant expect the guy to sell things a buck over invoice and make a living. So go ahead and buy online. Then when you need to get a hold of the little things that he carries because you dropped it in the woods and need to get the job finished, you can't complain when he is out of business, you cant finish the job, and your name gets a black mark with a customer. And they talk. You cant complain about having to mail things back and pay the shipping when there is a problem. You cant complain when you have to travel to find service. If we turn on local dealers, then welcome to the world of Lowes and Home Depot, selling crap for cheap. Do you always want cheap or quality? If you always want bottom dollar, then dont come complaining about there being no jobs, because that cheap stuff is shipped in from China.

I have an outstanding local dealer, great service, great and growing selection of saw brands and gear. A young couple starting out and doing it right- the old fashioned way. Yah, sometimes I can find something a few dollars cheaper online, but the service and support to help me get the job done and succeed is priceless. That's the choice.

I'd gladly buy a saw or other major serviceable items from this dealer. But when it comes to hardware like spurs and ropes and carabiners, those things don't need service. Blocks and spurs don't really break down. This guy is not going out of business, its also a shop that services diesels and specializes in performance parts. They work on a huge chunk of the local commercial truck fleets. This place is a very reputable shop and has been in business for 60 years. The staff are a bunch of old timers who know their stuff plus a bunch of master mechanics that can fix anything from a weed-whacker to a snowcat. The tree part of the business. Has 2 guys that have been doing that stuff for ages. As far as knowledge and service goes there is no better shop in the sate. But the prices on the non serviceable items are considerably higher than the online retailers. This place doesn't make money on hardware, I'll tell you that. I think they need to be more flexible on the items that they don't move alot of.

I have a Stihl dealer across the street, really he is about 200 yards away. I drive 15 minutes to another Stihl dealer just because they are nicer and treat people better. I buy all my chain on line though.

Buying chain

I should note... I am one seriously cheap guy that likes to sniff out a bargain.

I found my local stihl dealer will sell me ten 3/8-50 70dl chains for $15@ or one for 25ish. i buy bulk. He did mention the last time I was in that stihl has jacked his price on the more common styles and he is trying something else for a lower grade chain.

As a dealer with a retail store and a website, I can tell you that, yes my in-store prices are higher than the web price on many, but not all items. The reason is overhead. I'm here 12 hours a day to provide customer service - give the customer what he needs when he needs it. Coffees ready at 6:30 and if you need stuff before a big job it's here. If you need stuff in the middle of a job its here. If you have storm damage to cleanup ASAP, we're here for the duration. Can't get away from the job, but need something, let me know where you're at. Need to try on that cool saddle you saw on the web for a lower price, we got it and a tree to try it out on.

Need a place to warm up or cool off, come on in. Need a place to meet the crew before a big job. Need someone to vent to about the jackleg, low bid, ladder climbing meth head that you just saw at your biggest clients house - have a seat, confidentiality garaunteed. Want to see the latest on ArboristSite, come around here and look at my computer. Need to know what that funky stuff is growing on your customers tree, text me a pic. How do you tie a VT, here let me show you. But please don't ask me to come down 10 bucks on a rope because you saw it online cheaper.

Yes, you have to pay taxes on tree gear in the store, just like you have to pay taxes on gatorade, candy bars, groceries, fuel, clothes, beer, smokes, tires, etc. that you buy locally, most of which can be bought on-line, cheaper.

Yes, my web prices are cheaper. I buy direct from the manufacturers just like the big guys, and have to keep prices down to be competitive, on-line - none of the above included. I have to make a living, cover costs, and a little profit so I can take the family to the beach once a year. You run a business and know what I'm talking about.

Thanks for your time and we appreciate your business. Now, get back to work...:cheers:

That's why I buy locally whenever I can. My local Husky guy has fixed stuff that came from the factory as flaws and he's able to do it because he has a real live "knows his stuff" mechanic in the back room. I've bought plenty of stuff online but I've been burned by lack of support. I bought a very, very expensive Kohler laundry sink online. Within a month rust started breaking out on the inside bottom. Defective porcelain. Online guy says call Kohler. Kohler says crate it up and ship it back. 100 lbs. and I pay the shipping. Right.
Phil
And I'll never ever buy another overpriced piece of Kohler junk in my life.

I love our local dealers. Each one has done a lot for me and I try to return the favor whenever possible. I spend thousands upon thousands each year, but I wish I could spend even more!

Latest posts

Back