Thesis Outline Suggestion Opinions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMBetz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I think you have the basic framework in place. Under obstacles, you may wish to address technology limitations from a benefit-cost standpoint. Mills that can accept small diameter timber have made significant capital investments, and this may be an obstacle that you have not yet considered, or have, and opted to avoid. If the latter, you should at least make mention of this being outside the scope of your study.

If I think of anything more, I'll follow up.

CB

DTE,

What are the thoughts in CO about getting a small diameter timber market right now? I ask because there seems to be a glut of small diameter timber in the south that is difficult to move. The south would seem to have all the advantages: quicker growth rates, lower harvesting costs, better markets, and yet much of the small diameter material isn't economical to harvest. How can CO hope to compete?

Seems to me that even giving this small material away isn't going to attract much industry interest, not to mention the state of politics on federal land.

This isn't really a comment on your thesis outline, just wondering what the current thought processes are. I ask because there has been a lot said the last few years about the great opportunities for small diameter timber harvests on western land, and I just have difficulty seeing it.

How many composting operations for retail humus are already in the area? Are there small scale organic operations that could use cheap/free compost?

This way the materrial would not nessesarily be generating a cost reduction in the operation, but it would be benefiting the local economy. Maybe the farmer covers transport form the composting/screening operation.

Are there any retail baging operations in the area?

bugs

DTE, bugs and there effect on the market, trees and shipping quarantines. That is about hte only thing you did not cover that was covered in the book Trees, Yearbook of Agriculture, 1949.

Latest posts

Back