Things you should not say about a saw you're trying to sell...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taxmantoo

Plays with chainsaws
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
What things make you run away screaming when a saw seller mentions them?
Here's one, from an ebay ad:"Have not put gas in saw, the saw fired up on starter fluid."
---Wonderful, the saw was run, at least briefly, without even the lubricating properties of raw gasoline. Does anybody know how many seconds you can run a saw on ether without damaging the rings or cylinder?

What things make you run away screaming when a saw seller mentions them?
Here's one, from an ebay ad:"Have not put gas in saw, the saw fired up on starter fluid."
---Wonderful, the saw was run, at least briefly, without even the lubricating properties of raw gasoline. Does anybody know how many seconds you can run a saw on ether without damaging the rings or cylinder?

Let me go find it. I'm bad about buying eBay saws like that. Then I can have $400 in another $150 saw.:)

This subject has come up several times about the guy on eBay that starts the saws he sells with ether, why does'nt someone send him an email and tell him it's a no-no?

How about:
"It starts MOST of the time"
or
"It's well lubricated, look how easy it is to pull the starter cord"
or
"They say gas goes in that hole and oil in that hole, but in my experience, it doesn't matter"
or
"It was lightly used by a timber company in Oregon".
or
"It's one MEAN saw. Look at the blade on that sucker!"
or
"It's the first one I ever TRIED to mod. I think it came out OK."

How bout
"only dropped from a sequoia once"

"turned out what I really needed was a concrete saw"

"saw is being sold without air filter to increase performance"

"361 w/48" bar for the big timber"

"only used for clearing fencerows"

"gently used"

.... in my experience that has too often translated to "ran it WOT whenever I could and cut whatever was in my way."

"original chain"

"upgraded to a bigger poulan"

"professional quality"

"see my video on youtube"

"never needs servicing"

"uses 3 tanks of gas to every 1 tank of chain oil"

Latest posts

Back