Think I need a pro chainsaw for firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would you buy one ?

I own one. An MS390 from right at the change over from the 039. No decomp. Slightly heavy for the output, but after 13+ years of trouble free service, I had to replace the fuel line. What piece of ****, right?
Mine runs a little better than most though with a muffler mod, and port shaping from Cottle Lane in 08/2011.

I just sent my 029 down the road. It gave me many years of good service and was as reliable as a rock and still running great. If I could have afforded my new saw with out selling it I would still have it.
But!!! I liked the Dolmar 6100 a lot more so the 029 had to hit the road!

No offense. I got a little bash happy. Like some other people on here. I like you you seam like a cool dude it was more of a poke in the ribs to rock jock and he knows why.

Cool. I wasn't taking offense.

At least you didn't say the OP should have bought a CS590.......LOL!

Thanks gents, my education progresses daily here. Love this site!

Crank seals leaked air? I've found it takes about as much time to vac test an old saw as it does to just go replace the seals. If it's an older saw, the seals are approaching the end of their service life anyhow. I just replace mine and then have it vac tested at a shop. For me, the vac test is time consuming and annoying.
Yup I understand that now, but a a year ago I did not...it was the first time I bought a used saw and I checked what I could at the time from what I knew and now call it lesson learned. Everyone has to start somewhere right? And now I have a saw to rebuild or sell for parts to buy more stuff...either way, learn and add to the pile of saws - win win if you ask me..Just don't ask my wife.

Sorry for the digression...

I just purchased a 461 Stihl with 20" bar just because it's SO much faster than my 281 farm/ranch saw. And supposed to last longer, tougher. Yes it's twice the price but twice as fast. Worth it to me

461 is a pretty awesome saw. I would.like to play with one for awhile. Enjoy it will do a ton of work.

What kind of budget are you workin' with? I'd say Husky 562. Butter smooth in the cut and can wield a 24"b/c.

And where ya @ in the USA? I've met up with quite a few really cool fellers in my area. Got to run some cool saws so maybe you could do the same.

dont you guys know anything,,,,,,, he said he wants a pro saw,,, there is only one pro saw on the market worth buying,,,,,,,,,,,, poulan wild thingy:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

I've got a couple of those light green poulans. I use 'em often for firewoodin'. They start and run just as nice as the Huskies and Stihls, and they are very light.

I've got a couple of those light green poulans. I use 'em often for firewoodin'. They start and run just as nice as the Huskies and Stihls, and they are very light.
Yes and with enough vibration to make any triple x star jealous.

I wanted a 70 cc saw but none were available and reasonably priced. I picked up a nice clean 2186 (85 cc) out of the trading post for a fair price and am very happy with it.

Poke around in the trading forum there are some great saws on there right now. Thankfully I'm out of saw money at this juncture, wait maybe not thankfully, crap I'm out of saw money :(

I just went through this "buy a better chainsaw" and I truly appreciated all the advice I got. But in the end I just got plain lucky and found a guy who had a ported 266, a 272, a 288 and a 365 for me to try. There was no replacement for putting the different saws in my hand and cutting with them. I arrived thinking I wanted the 288, but after cutting with them I realized it was bigger and heavier than I needed. Of the others I really liked the 272 (but it was his personal saw and he wouldn't sell it) and the 365 and 266 were very similar and $200 different in price, so I bought the 266 and I know that I will be very happy with it because I ran it for a while. Get out there and run a few saws side by side and find what feels good to you. Personally I would recommend the 272, but it's a personal thing.
Have fun.

Yes and with enough vibration to make any triple x star jealous.

Aw, they ain't all that bad. They're just 30cc+ saws. My Husky L77 vibrates a bit, but it's more than twice as big and its all metal. If I was cutting 8 hours a day with the little Poulans, maybe I'd change my mind. But for my purposes, I've got no complaints.

If you are not in a hurry shop around and be patient. If you know how to turn the screws keep an eye on Tractor Supply on-line. Sometimes they have really good sales on Jonsereds and often times if you are spending $500 they will give you interest free for a year.

I 2nd the motion on the Husky 365/ J-Red 2165 saws. Best bang for the buck out there. Parts are available on-line and they will handle a 24 inch bar when needed.

I have to admit, while I enjoy a lot of Husqvarna tools, I'd like to get a Stihl. The 555xp really sings to me but I don't know what I'm missing on the Stihl side... you know? Plus the local pro shop is all Stihl... no-one works on Huskies for miles around.

Latest posts

Back