Think I need a second saw!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kavery

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am not a professional. I own 8 acres of hardwoods and own a Stihl MS250. The saw runs well and seems pretty light but it cuts SLLLOOOWWW. I have been using green chains from Stihl(for 2 years) and just bought 2 yellow RSC chains. I am hoping that will speed things up considerably, but I have alot of cutting to do. I have perhaps a dozen 30+ inch logs to cut into firewood. My guess is they will produce a dozen cords and I have more down throughout my lot. I am thinking I need a larger saw. Cutting through each of these logs 1 time can take 10 minutes. They are maple, hickory and oak. The hickory is really slow. I have my eye on a very clean Shindaiwa 757 on ebay. It is alot of saw. I really am having difficulty justifying a MS361 at 675 bucks after tax. SO here is my question? Should I buy another saw and if so which one? Should I just sell the 250 and get a 260? Will the 250 with a non safety chain be all I need to save my back? I sawed several hours nonstop last weekend bent over and have been in serious pain all week, that is what has drawn me to a bigger faster cutting saw. I will probably live on this 8 acres the rest of my life, although after 3 or 4 more years I may have it relatively clean. I love the site and look forward to hearing the answer.
Almost forgot, the dealer I use does Toro mowers(I have a ZTR), Stihl, and Shindaiwa. That is why the Shinny caught my eye. I know this is blasphemy but my dealer actually told me he preferred the Shindaiwa saws to the Stihls, but he said he rarely sells a Shinny saw. He said he has to SELL Shindaiwa saws and Stihl trimmers, while people BUY Shindaiwa trimmers and Stihl saws.

Keith

Mahindra 2516
Toro Z500
Stihl MS250
Stihl BR320

shindiawa saws have good rep her for the most part. ive never ran one but alot of people like them. not to start a brand war here but if your looking for bang for the buck id go with dolmar or husky. stihl makes a fine saw but your gonna pay for it. i personally prefer huskys but i like em both. you could get a nice used 372 for well under the price of a 361.

soon youll have 15 saws and wonder what happened lol.

Ha Keith,
If you wont to cut 30'' stuff your going to need a saw to pull a 25'' bar so that means something like a MS441 or bigger,you are on the right track with the RSC chain and go 3/8 .063.Keep the 250 for smaller stuff and limming.

Looks like a 70cc saw (441 or 460) would be a good match for your wood and current ms250. I have a 260 and it's a great little saw w/16" bar, but about the same power as your 250, and not suitable for 20+ hardwood. My stihl dealer swears that safety chain cuts just as fast as yellow chain. The main difference is you can file the rakers on yellow chain when chain ages.

If you have a Husky dealer nearby, the 372XP is a good option. I saw a mint 441 on craigslist go for $500 recently in Knoxville area.

I am not a professional..... I have perhaps a dozen 30+ inch logs to cut into firewood..... I am thinking I need a larger saw. Cutting through each of these logs 1 time can take 10 minutes. They are maple, hickory and oak. The hickory is really slow.

Keith

Mahindra 2516
Toro Z500
Stihl MS250
Stihl BR320

You need at least a 70cc saw for some 30"+ logs, or you are gonna work a saws butt off. I would find the closest dealers and go talk to them. I would not buy the shindawa, unless there is dealer support close.

If you wont to cut 30'' stuff your going to need a saw to pull a 25'' bar so that means something like a MS441 or bigger,you are on the right track with the RSC chain and go 3/8 .063.Keep the 250 for smaller stuff and limming.

Hi,

a 16" or 18" bar is plenty big enough to cut 30" logs. If you limb "the european way" and don't want to sharpen lots of teeth a 4.5hp saw with a fairly short bar will do the job only a little bit slower, hardly relevant for a firewood cutter.

Most of the time I use a 357xpg with a 15" bar and only rarely need to use the 460 with either its 20" or 24" bar. If I do get the 460 out then the 346xpg come out too with its 13" bar and the 357xpg stays at home. Besides my 460 is pretty thirsty...

Anyway I think a 361/357 with an 18" bar is enough, especially when it comes to sharpening, fuel consumption, weight, vibes, manouverability, cost etc. etc. I don't see the point in getting something like a 460 with a 25" bar just to cut a dozen 30" logs.

Bye

Last edited:
I am not a professional. I own 8 acres of hardwoods and own a Stihl MS250. The saw runs well and seems pretty light but it cuts SLLLOOOWWW. I have been using green chains from Stihl(for 2 years) and just bought 2 yellow RSC chains. I am hoping that will speed things up considerably, but I have alot of cutting to do. I have perhaps a dozen 30+ inch logs to cut into firewood. My guess is they will produce a dozen cords and I have more down throughout my lot. I am thinking I need a larger saw. Cutting through each of these logs 1 time can take 10 minutes. They are maple, hickory and oak. The hickory is really slow. I have my eye on a very clean Shindaiwa 757 on ebay. It is alot of saw. I really am having difficulty justifying a MS361 at 675 bucks after tax. SO here is my question? Should I buy another saw and if so which one? Should I just sell the 250 and get a 260? Will the 250 with a non safety chain be all I need to save my back? I sawed several hours nonstop last weekend bent over and have been in serious pain all week, that is what has drawn me to a bigger faster cutting saw. I will probably live on this 8 acres the rest of my life, although after 3 or 4 more years I may have it relatively clean. I love the site and look forward to hearing the answer.

I never have run Shindaiwa. May well be they make a good saw for you. I would say try handling any you might consider in your price range, the same for any other brand. Keep in mind someday you will need some service and parts. Get a powerhead with enough power for the size bar and wood you'll cut. Stihl pro saws feel the most comfortable to me when pointing the bar straight ahead. The left hand seems more relaxed at that position.I had a Makita 6401 with a 20" bar wasn't very comfortable on my back pointing it straight ahead reaching out for limbs. My 044 Stihl with a 20 " felt very comfy doing the same. The 6401 with a 24" bar I could hold the power head closer to me when cutting straight ahead and just miss the ground with the tip standing straight up bucking. This was far more comfortable on my back then the postioning of the 20" on the 6401 in most cuts. If you have Makita-Dolmar service availuble or do your own service the 6401's can be found at very reasonable prices. If you decide you need more power for a couple hundred dollars it can be upgraded to the 7900 and you should have more then enough. The 6401 with the 24" buried in pin oak felt far from a slug to me. Hickory or white oak would slow it down a bit. If you were felling for logs extra power would be worth spending extra as splits in the but logs happen less when you power through the final part of the cut faster. Cutting for fire wood I don't mind the splits as long as it doesn't put me in danger.
For me at 6' tall 22 to 25 " bars feel the best for my sometimes aching back. Position effects how my back feels very much more then average weights. I had a Husky 55 with an 18" bar for a short while that seemed always triggered back pain when I used it. I was falling a small tree 1 time with it and as I finished the cut I let loose of the top handle for back pain and some how the blade bounced off my carharts cutting through them,my jeans , long johns and making just a shallow cut in my skin. I recently had a couple 22" HU mount bars milled to fit my Stihls as that has always felt the ultimate comfort range for my back.
Keep your ms250 and get your self something bigger for your bigger wood would be my advice. When your getting tired running a bigger saw it feels like a break to run a tank through a smaller saw and you are still making progress. If you pinch your saw or dull it etc. a back up saw is nice to have along to finish things up .

I don't see the point in getting something like a 460 with a 25" bar just to cut a dozen 30" logs.

HUH? :monkey: I cut most of my firewood last year with a 56cc saw with a 20" bar. That said, I now run only 70cc saws with 25" bars. Not much heavier, I love the extra reach, and LOTS more power. I dont even reach for my smaller saws now, except my little 40cc limbing saw when cleaning up branches in the yard.

Ive cut with a 021 with a 16" bar for years.This winter I put an 044 together with a 20" bar. Iam very inpressed with the power of it. I bought a 25" bar for it to cut up some big stuff I had and it did great.
If your going to buy one saw get an 044/440 . Then after while when you get CAD youll find you need another saw and another and another. The 025 is close enough to the 026,I know they arent comparable, to go big. :cheers:

Go with a 70cc like a Stihl 440, 441, or 460. You could get 2 bars, a 25" and 32" for just about any wood ya come across. The Dolmars have the best performance for the price, like the 5100 and 7900. Stihl and husky have very similar prices. Shinny makes a good saw but I would go with Stihl.

FYI: There is a nice 460 in our classifieds.

Last edited:
Well said! Not much those saws can't do. Light and very powerful.
+1
I have many saws smaller and also many larger but the 044 and 440 are my main go to saws for the last 10-12 years for every day cutting. They are powerful, especially woods ported + muffler modded.well balanced and relatively light and nimble. From felling,limbing and bucking they suit my needs to a tee. Only question left is what do I need the other saws for, well CAD is my excuse.
LOL
Pioneerguy600

If I were you, Id buy the 757, that would be an awesome saw for what you want to do, and keep your 250.

You have already said you have a shinny dealer, even if he does not sell alot of them he told you he likes them better so parts and service should not be an issue!

I know you got alot of , buy a big stihl or husky and some, you dont need a bigger saw, what ever if you want a bigger saw and you want a shinny get it!

Your not gonna get alot of support here on the shinny because, not alot of people on here have them. The ones that do love them.
Stihls are overated IMO and over priced!

Last edited:
OK, I'll be the odd man out here. If you only need to cut the 30" stuff once in a while, I'd find a decent Stihl 038. There are a TON of parts out there, and you won't have alot of $ into buying it. I really like my 038, and it will happily pull a 24" bar all day long. If that does not appeal to you, then start looking for a rental Makita 6401. They're easy to find, and there's always that 80cc bolt-on option if you like.

As already said, the 250 will not do the job for you.
You will see marked improvement with the RSC chains on the 250, no doubt.
However on 30" diameter logs, you will need something like a 441.
I run a 20" bar with RSC chains on my 441 and I cut red and white oak logs on my property very nicely and easily.
At first I was hesitant in buying it because of the price, but that saw has paid for itself with all the nice wood I cut with it. When I see low gas bills come in during the winter, I figure the 441 was worth it and I will be able to cut many trees for many years.

Last edited:

My recommendation is MS460 and 20" bar and 28" or 32" (multiple) bars, and 3/8 Stihl Non-Safety Chains.

I used to cut (bucked) 40"+ Oak for firewood with a 46cc saw with 20" bar, and .325 safety chain.

I made as much cut as I could, then swang my axe side ways to make a crack/dent to put a metal wedge, drove the wedge holizontally, split/remove some pieces, then finished cutting.

No more after I got MS460 and 20", 28" and 32" bars.

At first, MS460 felt heavry, but I quickly got used to its weight.

Now, I put 12" bar on the 46cc and use it as my limbing saw.

Noko

Back