Think I need a second saw!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

a 16" or 18" bar is plenty big enough to cut 30" logs. If you limb "the european way" and don't want to sharpen lots of teeth a 4.5hp saw with a fairly short bar will do the job only a little bit slower, hardly relevant for a firewood cutter.

Most of the time I use a 357xpg with a 15" bar and only rarely need to use the 460 with either its 20" or 24" bar. If I do get the 460 out then the 346xpg come out too with its 13" bar and the 357xpg stays at home. Besides my 460 is pretty thirsty...

Anyway I think a 361/357 with an 18" bar is enough, especially when it comes to sharpening, fuel consumption, weight, vibes, manouverability, cost etc. etc. I don't see the point in getting something like a 460 with a 25" bar just to cut a dozen 30" logs.

Bye

the longer bar is far safer when felling.. he can always buy a used saw, use it for a month or 2 and resell for most if not all the cash.. do you hate sharpening that much?? wow, I cut from 7:30 AM to 5:30 PM last saturday, needed to sharpen 4 times... saw was a stihl 066 with 28 and 36 inch bars on it..must be a Europe/US thing, I like longer bars than most..

Sounds to me you need more than one new saw. Also sounds like you got allot of trees to cut down. With that being said get some thing to pull a 20 inch bar in the 60 cc range. This will get you started on some larger trees and keep from over working the 250. In the mean time you keep an eye out for a larger saw like the 7900 or the Stihl 460. 30 inch log is a big log. Any thing less than the 460 I would use full skip chain with longer bars on a 30 inch log. Mind you I do not have BIG tree experience but have big saws if I need them. I don`t even cut them down because I lack the experience to do so. If there on the ground already I`ll take them but I will not fall them. I`m still working on my falling skills.

..do you hate sharpening that much?? wow, I cut from 7:30 AM to 5:30 PM last saturday, needed to sharpen 4 times...

Hi

try cutting logs that have been dragged through grit filled dirt or covered on the side of the track in the same stuff by a friendly person widening a track with a grader. You'll be sharpening at least once a log minimum. If you're cutting real dirty wood or just wood that had to be dragged about before it could be cut then you learn to appreciate the shorter bars when you reach for the file for the umpteenth time...

If I'm cutting clean wood then I can often get by all day without having to reach for a file at all with the stihl chains, oregon and Co. need maybe a light filing in the same conditions.

I just always go for the shortest bar that will get the job done.

Bye

You can never stop at Just One More Saw. You must have more!!!!! At least three. Or just get the 361 and get a couple different size bars and chains for it.

If you're cutting real dirty wood or just wood that had to be dragged about before it could be cut then you learn to appreciate the shorter bars when you reach for the file for the umpteenth time...

I've batted that one around my head many times and still have no conclusion:

All things being equal: Longer bar should have each cutter doing less work for each log, and last longer between filings, but take longer to file. Figuring out time for grabbing the files and doing it, the longer bar should be a slight time savings.

But are all things equal? Does dirty wood tend to dull cutters at some rate porportional to total cutting time rather than cutter engagement time? :dizzy:

Another vote for buying the Shindaiwa, especially if the dealer you use can support you with service and parts. A 757 is the biggest in their lineup, I think, and you should have no problem with the 30" hardwood. I dealt with a sawmill owner a few years back who had a whole stable of Shindaiwas, mostly 488's, and he loved them. Never did ask who his dealer was - I can't find them for sale locally at all.

If you get a good deal on that Shinny go for it. Everyone on here doesn't know anything but Stihl. You'll pay 3 times more for some clapped out 440 or 460 because parts are available when the Stihl dealer wants to order them for you.

If that Shinny is good get it, take care of it, and it will last you forever on your 8 acres.

I can tell you where the Shinny parts are. Right at your fingertips and in your mailbox.

If you get a good deal on that Shinny go for it. Everyone on here doesn't know anything but Stihl. You'll pay 3 times more for some clapped out 440 or 460 because parts are available when the Stihl dealer wants to order them for you.

If that Shinny is good get it, take care of it, and it will last you forever on your 8 acres.

I can tell you where the Shinny parts are. Right at your fingertips and in your mailbox.

:clap: I agree get the shinny its a great saw from what I have read from owners! Its not a stihl but its nice to have more than one brand so you can judge for your self which is better. And besides I think someone said the other day if you wanna be in the all stihl head group you have to smell each others farts!!!

If I were you, Id buy the 757, that would be an awesome saw for what you want to do, and keep your 250.

You have already said you have a shinny dealer, even if he does not sell alot of them he told you he likes them better so parts and service should not be an issue!

I know you got alot of , buy a big stihl or husky and some, you dont need a bigger saw, what ever if you want a bigger saw and you want a shinny get it!

Your not gonna get alot of support here on the shinny because, not alot of people on here have them. The ones that do love them.
Stihls are overated IMO and over priced!

I agree!!! Get the Shindaiwa 757 and use the money you saved on some PPE.
The 757 will not let you down, do a search on it.

Everyone on here doesn't know anything but Stihl. You'll pay 3 times more for some clapped out 440 or 460 because parts are available when the Stihl dealer wants to order them for you.

I feel a little Stihl bashing going on so I will make it quick. There is a good reason why everyone here knows Stihl, they are #1 along with husky coming in at a close 2nd. Stihl parts are high, yup, true. You got to pay for quality and I will bet the Shinny parts are marked up just as high. If you have a Stihl dealer that doesn't want to order parts, drive down to the next one and try them. Every brand has bad dealers, Stihl just gets most the flack because they out number the other brands 5:1 for dealers. So when you see the big boys drop their Stihls and huskies then grab a Shinny, come back and argue.:D

I feel a little Stihl bashing going on so I will make it quick. There is a good reason why everyone here knows Stihl, they are #1 along with husky coming in at a close 2nd. Stihl parts are high, yup, true. You got to pay for quality and I will bet the Shinny parts are marked up just as high. If you have a Stihl dealer that doesn't want to order parts, drive down to the next one and try them. Every brand has bad dealers, Stihl just gets most the flack because they out number the other brands 5:1 for dealers. So when you see the big boys drop their Stihls and huskies then grab a Shinny, come back and argue.:D

Here we go again.....:dizzy:

:popcorn:

shindiawa saws have good rep her for the most part. ive never ran one but alot of people like them. not to start a brand war here but if your looking for bang for the buck id go with dolmar or husky. stihl makes a fine saw but your gonna pay for it. i personally prefer huskys but i like em both. you could get a nice used 372 for well under the price of a 361.

soon youll have 15 saws and wonder what happened lol.
Shindaiwas (small and large) put out a lot less power than advertised, according to KWF dyno tests......:jawdrop:

Huskys, Jonsereds, Stihls or Dolmars don't do that - the power specs are mostly true.

The Shinnys also lost a lot of points in all other accounts, like handling, AV, air filtration, quality feel etc - they just are very inferior saws, when compared to the better pro saws.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back