Thinking I might trade in the MS310

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggenius29

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I got my 310 two months ago and figured I might be using it way more than I originally intended on. After doing some talking and research I am thinking that the 361 or maybe even the 441 might have been a better choice.

After talking to the dealer he said that Stihl has a buy back program that if I will upgrade to a different saw and am willing to take a 10% loss on it they will buy it back from me.

So, would I be better off with the 361, or should I pay some more and go with the 441?

Next winter we are going to get either a OWB or a Gassifier, so the saw will be used for cutting wood for our house, and also I am a farmer so it will be used for cutting treelines and ditches.

What saw would you all suggest getting. Right now I am leaning to a 361 because it is a little lighter, and from what I forsee should be plenty for the cutting I would do, but on the other note, if I get a bigger saw that means more power.

Thanks
Ross

Having ran a 361 and do own a 441, I would pick the 441. (Might be a power fix sort of thing.)

This is going to be a tough call. I'm not sure you would see that much of an improvement from the 310 to the 361 in power.

For general all purpose firewood cutting, I'm guessing the 361 would serve you just fine. If you have a lot of trees in the 24" and up range, I would stay in the 70cc+ class of saws.

Almost forgot:

Welcome to AS.

Notice: If you get a bigger saw, you might want a bigger saw, then you will need a bigger saw, then you will have bigger saw(s). Kind of spooky, but I was warned about this.

So far I'm only in the 80 cc saw range; so I have quite a bit of room to work up!

It is a hard choice for me. I am a believer of buy the best you can afford. I know the 361 will service me 99% of the time, but I know there will be the times in my future where I will say "Why didnt I go bigger?"

On the other hand, I am also thinking of getting the 361, then also a smaller saw say a 170 or so for the smaller stuff. Or, just go bigger right away, I dont know yet.........

I am listening..........

Ross

Tough choice, LOL.

Feeding a OWB, 441

Clearing/cleaning ditches, 260

And then you have this>:dizzy:

The 361 is a great saw but "if" you think you will need a bigger saw, go big.

The 361 is a better saw than the 310 no doubt. But, you are not gaining much of a power difference. The 441 would give you a decent gain in power. On the other hand, the 441 will be tiresome to use for small stuff or for long periods of time. You will definately need a 2 saw plan if you get the 441. You can get away with the 361 as your only saw, but will be limited in big wood. I'd opt for the 2 saw plan myself. A 260 and 441 would be a nice combo!!

It's a much bigger gap in power from the 361 to 441 than it is from 310 to 361. I've never been impressed with the 361. If you ever try a good 70cc saw after you get a 361 you will regret your purchase.

The 361 is a better saw than the 310 no doubt. But, you are not gaining much of a power difference. The 441 would give you a decent gain in power. On the other hand, the 441 will be tiresome to use for small stuff or for long periods of time. You will definately need a 2 saw plan if you get the 441. You can get away with the 361 as your only saw, but will be limited in big wood. I'd opt for the 2 saw plan myself. A 260 and 441 would be a nice combo!!

Yep, I have the 026/441 combo. (With a couple of other saws thrown in for good measure.)

Logged off about 12 1/2 acres of Hemlock, and cut a lot of firewood, with the 026/441 set up. It's a good'n.

You might consider a 460. It doesn't have the anti-vibe or cool air filtration, but weighs the same and has more power. Add a dual port muffler and get even more power yet. I've got a lot of cool stuff in the garage, but the 460 is my go-to saw.

Forget the 361

Get the 441 (440 if you can find one) then later get a 260/280 class saw.
To me my 028S/044 is the best 2 saw plan.
It's the 2 saws I always grab oh yeah and the 5100 for backup.

It's a much bigger gap in power from the 361 to 441 than it is from 310 to 361. I've never been impressed with the 361. If you ever try a good 70cc saw after you get a 361 you will regret your purchase.

361--too big to be a little saw and too little to be a big saw. :cheers:

Get the 441 (440 if you can find one) then later get a 260/280 class saw.
To me my 028S/044 is the best 2 saw plan.
It's the 2 saws I always grab oh yeah and the 5100 for backup.

If you can find a 440, go that route. I love mine. The 440 is light enough to use for long periods. Any more weight (441,460) is starting to get to be too much. The 440 is similar in weight to the 290/310 saws with alot more power on tap. Most likely your dealer doesn't have any 440's left though.:cry:

My problem is that if I get the 441 that is about all I will be able to afford for quite some time. I will not be able to go with the two saw plan for quite a while.

But, I am worried that if I go the cheaper route and get the 361 then in a little while I will be in the same boat that I am right now, wishing I got the bigger saw.

I guess what I could always do is get the 441, then also get a real cheap saw untill I can afford a better one. I know Craigslist has tons of saws for $50. But I might need some serious theropy if I go in the woods with something like that.

If you get the 440/441 you can put it down and take a break if it tires you out. When you get back to work, its a 440/441. If you get a 361, its always a 361.

Latest posts

Back