Thinking I need a dedicated woods rig

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buildmyown

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well with access to 17 acres to cut on thats not mine I want to be as low impact as i can be. I also dont want to beat my truck up to bad. There are already some trails and paths but most are to narrow for my F-250 I could widen them and i will probally need to widen the main road in but thats mainly brush and some limbs. This plot of land abuts my property so whatever I get I dont need it to be road worthy. Id love a tractor and it really is the right tool for the job but I just cant justify the cost. ATV's both 2 and 4 wheel drive people must think they are made from gold with what they are asking in this area.

Id want something with a short and narrow wheel base so this is what I have in mind feel free to add or make suggestions. Budget less then $1000 more like the $500 range. Most of what I have in mind I will have to have a trailer in tow but I have a nice little 4X8 already with 3 foot sides. I can also use what I ever I end up getting as a skidder and pull whole logs backto the main road or right into my back yard and then process them there.

Jeep CJ or wrangler seen a few rotted out ones selling for cheap
S-10 or Ranger
Suzuki Sameri (SP)

I used a 89 gmc jimmy s15 with a 4.3 for years and pulled my trailer even fully loaded probably weighing 5-6k.What it lacked in power the 4wd low made up for.Finally had to sell it when it was way to rusted but it was nice having remote start because it was fuel injected and the ac worked good.

The guy who bought my dad's '68 Scout 800 made his own fifth-wheel trailer for it. Woods use only.

I'm thinking the Jeeps might be a smidge too short for that (but we're also going back 25+ years in my memory), but it should work with a Ranger/S-10.

I assume he did that to increase the load he could carry by centering the hitch over the axle instead of hanging off the rear bumper. If you can fabricate up your own trailer and hitch I reckon it can't be that terribly expensive (way beyond my skill level though!)

S10 or ranger are going to be the cheapest. Toyotas and sammis have a good following and hold there valve (meaning pricey).

Have you thought about a 4WD Subaru wagon or a Subaru Brat ? 5 speed manual , 30+ MPG , 2 wheel/4 Hi/4 Low, 3.90:1 axle ratio , plenty of ground clearance, 2700 pounds , reliable, can easily accept a fabbed receiver hitch and the wagons have plenty of room in the boot for dry storage.

The passenger compartment is a little narrow up front for 2 200+ Lb adults but I couldn't have asked for a better hunt'n/cutt'n wagon that will haul 4 adults and gear for cheap.

Last edited:
A small tractor with AG tires (not a lawnmower) like an 8n or farmall H or even an A or B would probably do the trick. That's what we always used to pull out stuck 4wd vehicles in the woods. They are simple and easy to work on. They may not quite fit your budget, but one could be had for close to what you want to spend. I just looked at an International 340 with FEL and the guy wanted $1000 for it.

The problem with a $500-1000 vehicle is it will probably need that much money put into it again in maintenance, even if you only want to use it in the woods. I would take a tractor places that I would never dream of taking a 4WD car or truck.

Jeep CJ's are stupid expensive. If you find one that's usable for cheap you're lucky. Most of the frames are rotted bad here in the northeast and finding a replacement frame for reasonable cost is like looking for gold in a mica mine. But the '80s to '90s Wagoneers seem to be less popular and I see them cheap on CL from time to time. Samurai / Tracker ok but small with no pulling power if mud gets thick or wood is big. Old Scouts work good but also hard to locate in the northeast. Toyota trucks work, work, and work some more but when they're priced at under 1k they probably have frame rot. S10 trucks are heavy for the size and don't usually have a bunch of ground clearance but they can be had for cheap. I'm not a Ford guy but Rangers do seem to hold up a bit better than the GM trucks.

If you want an older truck for cheap and don't want to spend a bunch of time doing rust repair work, try to find one from the south or midwest. IMO a small tractor as mentioned above has the potential to start working the soonest and require the least maintenance with the fewest amount of surprises.

I wouldnt count out the older larger garden/lawn tractors. The are smaller than the fords and ih's, but have torque and are menaeuverable. See the "lawnmower cutting/hauling thread" for some pics of garden tractors pulling 4x8 and larger trailers. You might be able to find one in your price range.

Watch want ads, craigslist, etc. Came across a Land Rover Dicovery 97, runs, drives, but ugly and no title. Was parting out or selling for $900 obo the other day. Wife would not aprove such an expenditure at this time:frown:

Shea

Im liking some of the ideas in here. Id really like a small tractor and maybe ill just hold out for one. The problem tractors in this area are selling for stupid money or if they are cheap sell fast. For example that International 340 w/FIL listed in here would be a $3000 tractor out here for a grand is probally be all over it. There is a John Deere 5300 I think sitting at my work its an old state tractor used for mowing. Has a PTO and 3PT 2WD needs some work maybe ill try to get that started and see what I can get it for. If i do go with a car truck jeep ect. as long as it runs and goes forward and reverse that all i really care about. Im really kicking myself for junking my old Ford yard plow truck now. That would have been perfect no brakes more rot holes then swiss cheese but ran mint and would pull anything.

Again this is just one of those I kinda need it but can I justify posts.

This would be perfect i know all you with real tractors wil laugh but this would work great for me but not at that price.
http://providence.craigslist.org/grd/2611591286.html

and this is just to cool
http://newlondon.craigslist.org/atq/2662549433.html

This one had me real interested but again I have other things to spend 1200 on.
http://providence.craigslist.org/grd/2684688896.html

Last edited:
Yeah, tractor prices are a little bit more reasonable around here. 10 years ago tractors from the 40's-60's were still working machines. There aren't as many small farms any more so lots of those tractors are on the market. Just to rub it in a little
:tongue2:

Nice tractor here. 8n sized with 45hp
Ford Jubilee Tractor

Row crop tractors are good for tight spaces
Farmall Super C

Another 45hp tractor
Farmall Super C

Ford 860 Tractor with Loader

My dad has one of these, nice little tractor
small farm tractor and brush hog

small farm tractor and brush hog

4wd! There was one that recently sold for $3400 with "powershift"
YANMAR 2202 Diesel !!!!

It might be worth getting a tractor shipped to you if the proices are what you say they are.

Im liking some of the ideas in here. Id really like a small tractor and maybe ill just hold out for one. The problem tractors in this area are selling for stupid money or if they are cheap sell fast. For example that International 340 w/FIL listed in here would be a $3000 tractor out here for a grand is probally be all over it. There is a John Deere 5300 I think sitting at my work its an old state tractor used for mowing. Has a PTO and 3PT 2WD needs some work maybe ill try to get that started and see what I can get it for. If i do go with a car truck jeep ect. as long as it runs and goes forward and reverse that all i really care about. Im really kicking myself for junking my old Ford yard plow truck now. That would have been perfect no brakes more rot holes then swiss cheese but ran mint and would pull anything.

Again this is just one of those I kinda need it but can I justify posts.

This would be perfect i know all you with real tractors wil laugh but this would work great for me but not at that price.
John Deere 420 with Loader

and this is just to cool
Ford Model A cut down tractor (DoodleBug)

Yanmar YM135 Diesel Compact tractor
---that yanmar is a deal. You could do much worse than that at that price (assuming it is as advertised of course). and that's just a CL asking price, cash in person is always a different ballgame....

Just keep looking, you'll find what you need. Tractors are just so useful...if they are rare and expensive where you are, consider buying out of state and just renting a trailer one way (back) to get it home. Even with traveling expenses, etc, you might come out ahead. Especially getting one someplace where they don't see a lot of snow or road salt or anything like that. Not saying it makes it perfect, just no or little rust on a used anything like that is a big plus ahead for the long term.

You know there are compact tractor forums and sites just like this is a chainsaw site. They got classifieds as well (well, guessing they do most likely). Just like here, getting a used one that some enthusiast has gone through and fixed what needed fixing could very well be a better deal than random craigslist ad from who know's who.

Ya, cost more, but would proly work more too... Or go ahead and get a small garden (not lawn, garden class) tractor that is whipped, not running or barely running, for real cheap and have you a winter rebuild project. Maybe those same forums/places might have someone near to you, or close enough, to part with a project tractor and tell ya all you might need to fix it up nice. I know some of the guys here have mentioned they belong to those forums, perhaps they can drop some useful links.

All I personally own is an old wheel horse, but I got that one specifically *because* it was a real tractor that could take a variety of implements, and not just a lawn mower. I know even that small and cheap (those are the cheapest/smallest real tractors you can find most likely) there's a big diff in how they are built and what they are capable of. Because I *worked* that guy, hard, for a long time now. I bet you can probably find a project one for a couple hundred most likely. One in decent shape with good ag tires and chains will pull a firewood trailer, no sweat. Plus do your garden, plow the drive, whatever. You can even mow with them...hahahaha!

Im with the tractor crowd. Once you have one you wont know how you got by without it. Old Case VACs and the like can be had around here for around $1000 and the N series Ford tractors are going for around $1600 to $2500. Best of luck to ya.

John Deere 420 with Loader

Yanmar YM135 Diesel Compact tractor

shoot these two would certainly get the job done! when i don't NEED my truck, i use old Sears garden tractors. load 'em up with weights and you'd be amazed at how much they will pull.

Latest posts

Back