This is difficult to admit...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
...but I've been watchin' it over the lat couple weeks.
Being it's been so cold, this early, for this long... and no real relief from it in sight...
I've already put a small dent in the hard maple, even tossed in some oak... and it ain't even Christmas yet.
I'm near completely out of the "lessor" mix of stuff... the stuff we usually burn during the daytime... heck, that might be gone by the new year.

At this rate... this early...

I DIDN'T BRING ENOUGH FRIGGIN' WOOD IN THE HOUSE‼

Ain't no way around it... I'm gonna' be out there cuttin' standing-dead elm this weekend or the oak and maple I do have in the house won't last the winter. And, because all the "lessor" stuff will be gone, I'll be burnin' that good oak from the outdoor stacks in April... I'll be burnin' next years wood‼

!!"LAZY"!!... see what you did now? every one that reads this will now know that all us saw operators are !!"LAZY"!!..... next we will be buying wood from one of them fly by night wood jockeys that will be inferior to the junk wood we usually save for the first early burns??.... so I say !!"LAZY"!!;)

FBN firewood sales.now delivering to NE Iowa.:ices_rofl:

!!"LAZY"!!... see what you did now? every one that reads this will now know that all us saw operators are !!"LAZY"!!..... next we will be buying wood from one of them fly by night wood jockeys that will be inferior to the junk wood we usually save for the first early burns??.... so I say !!"LAZY"!!;)

Funny you should start this thread. As of this morning I am 100% OUT of wood. Yes you read that right. OUT!
I spent to much time bowhunting and then deer gun season came in and while I was out chasin Bambi around I went through a little more wood than expected. I have a small stash at my shop in town that i keep for the barrel stove I use there that I will rob from this morning to get my house through till tomorrow.
This weekend will be cut, cut, and cut some more.

I'm out as well...of the stuff I had to sell. Given the temps, the pile I'm keeping for myself for this year may end up being a little light. Gotta get over to the slash pile real soon and get the "just in case" pile all set up.

We have all been there buddy ! Thats what happened to us last year..but around March . This year......over prepared !! But..I always like going out and cutting dead standing Maple or Ash....or even Tulip Poplar !! Beggers cant be choosers at that point ! Anything to keep that house furnace off .Good luck out there..and make it fun !

I'm out as well...of the stuff I had to sell. Given the temps, the pile I'm keeping for myself for this year may end up being a little light. Gotta get over to the slash pile real soon and get the "just in case" pile all set up.

Pony, i got about 30 cords of rounds sitting in a farm field in flemington if you get real low. Cut last year during sandy. Most should be ready to split and burn. Message me ifn ya need.

I'm chewing through lots of real good hardwood now.
Feel like late January here but weather says back to more normal and above temps on the way in a few days.
Just like the entire year warm spell, cold spell then precipitation spell.
Global warming is happening but I think only on Venus. LOL

No doubt I've been burning way more than planned. Been way colder here than it has in years. And winter is yet to start. Piles are shrinking fast. Been burning oak and hickory already. If this is fall, how dang cold is winter going to be? I won't be selling much if any "extra wood" this year. Gonna need a ported saw to keep up with demand;-) anybody port splitters?

Temps are varying here a lot. Burning from punky poplar to high end hickory...ain't gonna run out any time soon though. I made a big point after I joined this site to get some years ahead, all grades of firewood, and start making dedicated piles of shoulder season then primo.

Basically, what I was doing before, stacking anything I touched, but since I started taking much larger trees the stacks expand much faster.

Well, got a fiskars..switching from 100% anything that needed splitting with the heavy maul to 90% is fiskarized, it is much easier to stack now.

Everything else is the same, just adding some larger saws and a fiskars dramatically increased the stacks. And that is just putzing at it once in awhile. If I worked it like a part time job I could do 50 cord a year easy. If I used a mechanical splitter and perhaps a dump trailer or truck and just spread out piles of splits, man..lots more than that.

i just threw some 14month red oak on to see how much it hisses cause im gonna need it in feb

Same boat here. I use wood as a supplemental heat source. Last year I burned three cords all winter. I've burned a little over a cord so far this year. I had three cords ready for this year and a couple more in rounds that were cut last year. I split the last two over Thanksgiving . I'll probably be burning some of it in late Feb-early March.
I've got four or five cords in logs that I need to get going on for next winter.

Latest posts

Back