This is difficult to admit...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm gonna run out also unless I trudge my butt out in the snow and dig through the pile of stuff I was supposed to split and never did. I spent my allotted splitting time this seasons working up the next two years wood that fell into my lap.

It was one of my biggest blunders in my wood burning career..trying to jump ahead and not taking care of this year fuel...

I wouldn't necessarily call that a blunder. When an opportunity to score some wood comes along, you have to grab it while you can. OK, you've got to split in the snow to catch up for this year, but that wood you scored might belong to somebody else if you didn't move on it when you did.

My dad has always burned hedge and cut as needed, he just got a load Wednesday, we have access to a bunch of it along a friends dry creek. I don't know where I could get any ash or tulip, the thought of buying seasoned wood is so appalling I couldn't even do it. I burned hedge some last winter cutting about a truckload a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You mean you can just cut that stuff green and burn it? If so, sounds like a plan to me!

With all the home improvement projects this summer, things are looking in our favor. I'll find out at the end of the season, but it seems we have cut wood usage. The house is more comfortable that's for sure. I haven't heard from anyone local how they are doing yet, but with the cold I'm sure they are using some wood.

I am using more this year, will have to move another trailer load to house this weekend.I donot want to pull it in on a sled when snow is to deep. The early cold has put a damper on my dead wood cutting oak and cherry in the woods and fence rows. I might be looking for heated handles on a saw soon

I stacked my wood in logical order...some poplar, silver maple, and sassafras on the outside where I can grab it first. Thes some black cherry and then the hickory...I wish I could get to the hickoy because its too cold for this lighter stuff...that and I want or maybe need a bigger stove thinking of upgrading from 2.5 cuft to 3cuft insert or even getting a mason over to open the hearth so I can stuff a BK king in it.

Sounds like you need a modern, clean burn, high efficientcy, EPA furnace there Spidey! (said while ducking) then you wouldn't have that big empty hole in your stacks! :eek: :p :D

:chainsaw: ...:chop:<---Spidey this weekend

I stacked my wood in logical order...some poplar, silver maple, and sassafras on the outside where I can grab it first. Thes some black cherry and then the hickory...I wish I could get to the hickoy because its too cold for this lighter stuff...that and I want or maybe need a bigger stove thinking of upgrading from 2.5 cuft to 3cuft insert or even getting a mason over to open the hearth so I can stuff a BK king in it.

One of those big blaze kings, now you're talking!

I too am surprised to hear of insufficient quantities, considering some of y'all probably burn more wood than the sawmill i work at uses in a week. And we make 650k board feet per shift! Down here in Louisiana winters are usually much milder... we have cold days, but not teens, and not for weeks on end either. I too have burned more wood during November and into December. I usually don't need but 2 cords for a winter, but this year I may get into next years stash of 2 cords of hardwoods, but I guess it probably needs to be burned because it is leftovers from the previous couple of winters.

Last edited:
9F right now, just came in from moving the splitter to inside the shop so she starts tomorrow as it'll get a workout; just came out of a below zero snap and the old woodpile has taken a hit so far and it ain't even January; 4 dead popples down and cut up, will split them tomorrow morning and get them out of the way then head in the woods to retrieve a downed oak and maple and whatever I can find that is standing dead, and maybe do some bowhunting later in the day. About half of that popple will be saved for making syrup....I better not have to steal that for house heat as the kids will be ornery if we don't boil any sap this spring. I have a few cords of firewood cut from last year and under tarps protected from the snow, but rather than split and move into the woodshed I'll be heading into the woods......less than a foot of snow now and the thought is to get some extra trees out of the woods to the landing before the snow gets too deep; then it can snow snow snow and I can cut and split at a more leisurely pace and hope we don't get too many more below zero days in the next couple months.

lol! Actually I'm feeling pretty good about it right now. Got a nice big pile of good hardwood - oak, hickory, mulberry and other stuff. I think I just might make it.

I never pass-up an opportunity to make a buck or two...

OK guys... I'm takin' bets and givin' 3-to-1 odds that uncle don't make the season... any takers??

We are going through a lot more than planned this year as well. When we filled the basement this fall we looked it over and figured that would last till the end of January. It is now looking like we will make the end of December instead. So....December isnt over and I am already coming up a month short. I do have a backup plan in place though. There is an Amish sawmill 3 miles down the road from me. They have huge bundles of slab wood that will make my dually squat for $15 a bundle. All I have to do is cut it up to firewood length and burn it. If they were a little thicker I would heat entirerly with that stuff. I cant hardly go to the woods and kill by back for $15

You mean you can just cut that stuff green and burn it? If so, sounds like a plan to me!
This time of year if it is above freezing it oozes a white sap that kinda looks like Elmer's glue. It has enough BTU's it will burn and throw out the heat. I don't have any idea how it burns after it has seasoned a year :) my dad told me it seems to burn hottest about two weeks after it has been cut. He said a good bed of coals puts off a nice blue flame. I don't know if the sap has sugar in it or if it is just the wood. Of course by the time it gets down to a bed of coals all the sap is gone

My diminished pile sure wan't from a lack of cutting/splitting/stacking. I might have gotten a little greedy when it came to selling figuring there was no way I'd go through it all. Well, I didn't post a single add this year and I've been sold out of seasoned for a week or so now. Everyone that bought last year, bought again and bought a little more. I'm even going with what I call "The Zogger Plan". If I have to put a saw into it or load it on a truck from a job, then it's getting split and stacked. The more "junk" wood I send up the chimney means I have more premium stuff going into my wallet!

Latest posts

Back