This is difficult to admit...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the offer!

I know its a good ride but there's a tractor on site and the owner wants it gone...I can help split and load ifn ya tow the TW.
if ya get real low I got 30 cords split (seasoned) and piled in another farm we can trade out for.

I'll gladly trade you a seasoned load of ash today for an unseasoned load in the spring.

I went out and cut a small load today... seven, maybe ten days worth of "daytime" burnin'.
Some of that elm was just a touch past the "premo" stage... but it'll do.
Thinkin' another load tomorrow...

I've got my eye on a big Red Elm standin' on the fence line along the road... bark just fell off this past summer. The problem is it's leanin' out over the road... so I'm gonna' block any traffic for a bit. Thinkin' an early sunday mornin'... real early... so we'll see how much beer and whiskey I toss down tonight.

also wanted to add, this is why I am not a woodsnob, and don't firepit much. Now I did firepit this summer, maybe two to three cord total (hard to measure really, a lot though..), but that was from the sheer volume of branches in the yard, and all the wild privet sprouting up, both my boss and Gf were ragging me on it, so I burned a lot. the branches got the green privet going. if it was all up to me, branches would have sat until crispy super dry and got burned in the stove, along with the privet stems. Some really super rotten termite brand pine as well went, but not a lot of that, ten big branches worth maybe.

Hmm..another expensive firewood tool needed..need something to process branches into firewood logs, a compactor, wrapper dealie. Something that will suck in odd branches, squish and wrap (like baling twine) and cut to uniform size logs. A branch processor.

Chips are OK, but need a special chip stove then, rather have normal logs.
You can through chips onto a nice fire. Not smother it but a constant shovel or two won't harm a thing. But a branch log machine is a cool idea!

Well, I'm about out of seasoned wood.....

With my old Warm Morning 520, I had to run it half open and nearly glowing all the time to keep the garage halfway warm.

Never had to worry about the chimney, even though I was running less than ideal wood through it. Usually c/s/s in the summer and throw it in there come winter time. Chimney was clean as a whistle, no buildup at all.

However, that's a no-go now with the 30. I've already cleaned my chimney once with less than a couple dozen fires, and its probably needing it again. It won't burn it well at all unless its under 25% or so on the moisture meter.

You get some good dried wood in there though, and that thing's a beast at heating....

I talked to my Dad and he says he doesn't have enough either. I never did make it out this weekend.. We got about 6 - 8 inches of snow this weekend. It wouldn't have slowed the tractor down, but it sure put me in a slump, lol

I went thru about 20 cords of red oak last winter this winter should be interesting. I burn green oak in the OWB, just throw a bunch in, clean the chimney often. I have about 15 cords cut split and stacked in the wood shed and probably another 20 cords sitting around in logs. I just cut about a cord or so of logs this weekend.

I didn't cut that Red Elm hangin' over the road yesterday mornin'... but I walked 'round it maybe two-dozen times... L-O-L

Man‼ That thing is hangin' straight out over the road and will fall with the top in the far ditch... blockin' the road from fence line to fence line. Well, after walkin' 'round it, and 'round it, and 'round it I've formulated another plan... I'm gonna' pull it back the other way into the woodlot. I figure I'll let it stand and drop some more off the top first, to lighten it up some, and wait for a strong northeast wind to help it in the direction I want it to go. There's another (even larger) standing-dead in the way of doing that though... an American Elm that's just now starting to drop bark. I figure I can take that one down anytime, but it'll likely be a bit to wet for burnin' this year. Sometime later this winter I'll take it down, buck, split and haul it out'a the way, then pull that Red Elm right into the same work area... that way I only need to clean one work area for two trees (work smarter ya' know).

So anyway, I ended up walkin' the wood lot and found more than half a dozen, smaller, easy to access, standing-dead... most of which should be ready to toss directly in the basement. Those should easily keep me busy 'till the New Year... with minimal splitting required (10-20 inch diameter elms). I did manage to take one small 10-incher down and get it in the basement before noon... and then decided beer and football was in order (yeah, I got lazy... but it was friggin' cold out there).

Well, I missed out on both the beer and the football... three swallows into the beer and two minutes into the game I was snoring up a storm on the couch.

Yup, that'll do it every time...sittin down in a nice warm spot after being out working in the cold for a while. I'd have been catchin flys too! :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back