This is difficult to admit...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm also going through more than anticipated. I had a huge pile (10' high x 25x 25) i thought would get me through this winter, but i think I will start dipping into next years stash by february. The wood under the tarp is 1/3 to half gone alreadyIMG_20131129_141511_019.jpg

I need the ported 2260 I've got coming from terry and sme vacation time to really focus on cutting and stacking:chainsaw::chop::D

Old farm house from 1857 and a greenhouse. In order to further insulate this house I would have to remove most of the inner walls and start from scratch. I've done some updating on the insulation but not enough to keep the wood usage down to normal levels. Can you imagine what my oil bills would be if I used the oil furnace in the winter ??? 250 gals per month was what it was before I put the boiler in. The wood is basically free since it's on the farm, just have to cut , split and stack.

Same predicament here, plus I don't own the place. Dang if I want to totally rebuild it for free. If I started tearing the walls down to put insulation in I would just as well jack the house up, stick it on dogs, drag it over, get a basement/storm shelter put in, and completely redo the plumbing and wiring.

Now, if I owned it I would, one wall a year starting with the coldest wall. Insulation and replace or add on to the windows. Leaky ain't the word for it here.....

Now, there is a way to do a much easier cheaper wall insulation job, tack on/glue one some sheets of foam insulation, then drywall or panelling over that, add some trim around the windows. You can do all that from the inside, not hard, not expensive, and you lose very little floor space. Not quite as good as a real proper job, but...it would work.

It will be close whether I make it through with the 6-7 cords put up for this year. Everyone I've talked to is pretty much burning through their supplies much more quickly this year as well.
Doing a test burn on a couple pieces of black cherry cut and split in August, just in case. Seems to be doing alright.

This winter is reminding me of the wicked winters we had in the late 60s and early 70s. Brutal. Those winters killed a lot of deer back then.

This is the first yr I've heated with wood in some time. I will have to stack some 2 yr old but still a little green(30 on the mm) oak in the basement and hope it dries to get me by. I'll be better prepared next yr that's for sure !

My first winter in the north in a long time, first time doing it for/by myself. I think I've already burned through near half of my wood, no reserve for next year to dip into. I think I'll be out there cutting this weekend too.

I got these stupid chilblains or whatever they are on my toes already I'm sure that won't help none.

Old farm house from 1857 and a greenhouse. In order to further insulate this house I would have to remove most of the inner walls and start from scratch. I've done some updating on the insulation but not enough to keep the wood usage down to normal levels. Can you imagine what my oil bills would be if I used the oil furnace in the winter ??? 250 gals per month was what it was before I put the boiler in. The wood is basically free since it's on the farm, just have to cut , split and stack.

This is the first year living in my house, was remodeling and doing some heating last year. Part of the house was probably built before civil war, there are maps with the road around where our house sits, would have been straight shot to go through it. Only found insulation on north side of original house but didn't open up all of the south side and the windows are so old the curtains practically flap when them wind blows.

I am filling OWB three times a day just to keep it going, I thought I was going to get enough wood to get ahead for next year. Burning this green oak isn't working. Going to go cut some hedge this weekend and try to keep getting enough to make it through the rest of the year so what oak I do have can season till next year and maybe I can even get some hedge to season over the summer

It's just dang cold already and the old house is not retaining heat very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the first year living in my house, was remodeling and doing some heating last year. Part of the house was probably built before civil war, there are maps with the road around where our house sits, would have been straight shot to go through it. Only found insulation on north side of original house but didn't open up all of the south side and the windows are so old the curtains practically flap when them wind blows.

I am filling OWB three times a day just to keep it going, I thought I was going to get enough wood to get ahead for next year. Burning this green oak isn't working. Going to go cut some hedge this weekend and try to keep getting enough to make it through the rest of the year so what oak I do have can season till next year and maybe I can even get some hedge to season over the summer

L-O-L
It's gonna' be a long-azz winter.
This board is gonna' be full of complaints... runnin' out'a wood... cold, drafty houses... plugged flues... smoke in the house... too much snow and can't get into the woods...
And then there's gonna' be the questions... how do I get my stove to heat better... how do I get the heat to the back bedrooms... I need a better stove, what should I buy...

Of course y'all can have no worries boys (and girls)... I'll be here a-waitin' to stir the pot whenever the opportunity presents itself... L-O-L
Yep... a long-azz winter... might just as well make the most of it and have some fun when I can.

So... anyone in the mood to talk bias-ply vs. radial tires?? :cool:

L-O-L
This board is gonna' be full of complaints... runnin' out'a wood... cold, drafty houses... plugged flues... smoke in the house... too much snow and can't get into the woods...
And then there's gonna' be the questions... how do I get my stove to heat better... how do I get the heat to the back bedrooms... I need a better stove, what should I buy...

Of course y'all can have no worries boys (and girls)... I'll be here a-waitin' to stir the pot whenever the opportunity presents itself... L-O-L
Yep... a long-azz winter... might just as well make the most of it and have some fun when I can.

Whichever my chains fit on :)

Been burning the hell out of some wood, too. Will also be cutting on sunday, and hopefully not in a foot of fresh snow. Sure is comfortable in the house, though.

First year burning wood in this house and I've been raiding my dad's pile. Should have been cutting for him all summer, but I've been busy as hell. If I can get this damn tractor running right, I have some log piles up on the mountain behind my house stashed away I cut last week I can bring back. Either that or get a pulling harness for the Shepherd.

Ash and tulip poplar will dry the fastest after splitting. As will standing dead pine and some others. But for green wood, ash and tulip.

I'm way ahead on wood and in no danger of running out, but the usage around here is also high. Folks have burned a lot of wood for this early in the season.

People who went for "just enough" are going to find themselves running short this year. How and when they react to that could be interesting. DIY'ers will have to get out and do some cutting just like some of you plan to do this weekend. But we're gonna get hit with a big snow storm this weekend, and there's not much melting in the forecast. People that buy wood are going to have a tough time finding anything seasoned around here. Most of the guys I know who sell wood are completely out of seasoned stuff. People that realize they are going to run out should order wood now, so at least some seasoning can take place before they need to burn it. But as we know, most will wait til they have 4 pieces left and then start calling around for seasoned.

L-O-L

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tweel

I'm not looking forward to the gas bill this year. Several times I've been out to the shop and the heaters been running. Normally it only runs a couple times a day.

Got the snowmobile running so I can get in the woods when the white stuff gets too thick. I have already been through a cord and working on the cord I stacked outside the door. Still trying to get rid of all the super dry, lightweight ash and maple I picked up last winter. It was almost too far gone but I have managed to salvage some BTUs from it. Good news is I have plenty to get me through the year but was hoping to roll some of this years wood onto next years wood. Going to start cutting in a week or so. Should be able to get 2-3 years worth split and stacked this winter. Just did a 45 day clean out on the flue. Looks good and I will repeat every 30 days. Stove is heating entire house thoroughly. Very happy so far. I never have to re-light a fire. There is always coals glowing when I wake up or come home from work! Coldest house has been was 66 and we had a rash of lows in the 9s and 10s for 2 weeks.
I must say the information I have gleaned off this site the last 2 years has helped me be an educated wood burner.
Thanks to everyone who posts here.

I'm gonna run out also unless I trudge my butt out in the snow and dig through the pile of stuff I was supposed to split and never did. I spent my allotted splitting time this seasons working up the next two years wood that fell into my lap.

It was one of my biggest blunders in my wood burning career..trying to jump ahead and not taking care of this year fuel...

Ash and tulip poplar will dry the fastest after splitting. As will standing dead pine and some others. But for green wood, ash and tulip.
My dad has always burned hedge and cut as needed, he just got a load Wednesday, we have access to a bunch of it along a friends dry creek. I don't know where I could get any ash or tulip, the thought of buying seasoned wood is so appalling I couldn't even do it. I burned hedge some last winter cutting about a truckload a week.

Spidey
I know what my problem is an old drafty house, just gotta keep shoveling wood into the stove.

It will be interesting to watch all the newbie questions. Just hope it doesn't increase the number of house and flu fires due to creosote build up.

Latest posts

Back