This-n-that

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.
Reaction score
I've been cleaning up some trees I cut down for a friend last fall. I've got 3 pickup loads on the ground waiting to split already. This morning I went over for another load. It was all bucked, but I had to noodle most of it to get it into the truck. It's black Locust, not common around here, so a neat grab for me,

dcm9zF-SVpgdfRyD2GVSF4PipC5GJ7DPvPJ5pGGg7PU=w629-h354

Next will be some #### box elder - but there's another locust hidden behind it.

20140426_111903.jpg

Middday, I took a break to go get myself a "new" commuter car:

20140426_153955.jpg

Last year's stacking method on the left, this year I'm putting 4x4s crossways underneath, this area ain't too bad, but in another spot I don't mow often, I had mice living under the stacks. This should get more air - and cat access.

20140426_160853.jpg

I wasn't gonna throw the big stuff on the ground then pick it back up to split it, so I split straight off the back of the truck.
All done splitting, stacking started:

20140426_171326.jpg

Then it was break time again. I had to run to Menards for some house hardware for tomorrow, and a Papa Murphy's take and bake pizza. When I got back, it was time to watch the NASCAR race on TV. Not having that stuff stacked bugged me though, so I hit pause and went back out and finished stacking. 12' between posts, a solid 1/3 cord there:

20140426_202801.jpg

Time for a couple cold ones and the end of the race.

wow, real good score, plus a new ride, plus pizza and couch potato action!

having some hours of sunlight really helps!

True! The sun is gonna be pretty rare the next week, if the weatherguessers are to be believed. Rain 8 of the 10 days coming up.

steve, that's way to nice ! but shame on you for making the rest of us wood cutting wanna b.s look bad with all your efforts an ambition.... if the other boss,s ever caught wind of what you got finished were all doomed! so please refrain from any more extra curricular activity from now on till hot weather will you? lol btw, nice ride !

Don't worry, Chucker - the ambition tank's running low already. I've got 1/2 cord of oak split that needs stacking too, but it can wait a bit Guess I just needed to do useful stuff since I skipped out on the IA GTG due to needing to get work done at home.

It's been so long since we've seen bare ground that even stacking wood looks inviting. Got to love "spring enthusiasm". Liking the 4x4 cross pieces too.

Nice score all the way around... Looks like you was a bit on the busy side but mother nature is going to slow you down for a few days unless you got a good pair of boots. That be a nice ride you got there. Should be good on gas and a smooth ride at the same time.

Nice score all the way around... Looks like you was a bit on the busy side but mother nature is going to slow you down for a few days unless you got a good pair of boots. That be a nice ride you got there. Should be good on gas and a smooth ride at the same time.

Gonna be great weather for grinding chains, tinkering on old saws, and other "fun" indoor stuff.

Car's nice, but does have a couple little bugs I need to get fixed. Speed sensor is flaky, and found out today that there's no delay in the delay wipers. Minor details.

i don't even know if locust grows here in carolina. Poison oak sure does.How does locust burn?

black locust is right up next to coal it burns very hot and slow. good overnight wood in winter.

Takes a considerable length of drying time as well, 2 + years, Box Elder on the other hand could be ready by fall although maybe not optimum. Had a weasel working the wood stacks last year, haven't seen any so far this year. When I saw it last year, at first glance I thought it was another chipmunk then it turned a bit and the head was a bit different shape, Hope they are back this year. Haven't seen the red fox yet this spring either.

Red fox only live 4 or 5 years in the wild. Yours has been around since 2008. Odds are he took a dirt nap already.

Latest posts

Back