Three Cans of Husky Premix will make your saw last longer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why would anyone want to extend the warranty. First thing I do to a new saw is disassemble, tune the engine, and reassemble. Remove the carb limiters and tune the Carb. I call it my warranty and have had no issues yet on the few saws I have bought new. It breaks my heart to spend so much on a new saw and then scratch the plastic so I prefer used.

Why would anyone want to extend the warranty. First thing I do to a new saw is disassemble, tune the engine, and reassemble. Remove the carb limiters and tune the Carb. I call it my warranty and have had no issues yet on the few saws I have bought new. It breaks my heart to spend so much on a new saw and then scratch the plastic so I prefer used.

I hear ya there. When I bought my 455 Rancher it was tuned so lean that it barley had a any torque. After backing out the high a bit it does not spin as fast, but it sure has the torque to back it up. Not like I am in a rush to cut anyways so it works perfect.

Stihl was running the same program last summer when I bought my weed whip and later my back pack blower. And the oil was half price.

No.

Warranty - I want to buy one of the Husqvarna "XP" saws how long is the warranty?

However, for 2013 I believe this was changed again to a 1 year warranty for non-commercial use.

Well, it would seem from reading that; "All Husqvarna "XP" series chainsaws sold after 01 February 2010 carry a 6 month parts and labor warranty. This is for consumer or professional use.", that I should stand corrected.

However...., the first link I put up showing the 346XP standard warranty of 2 years was for through the 2011 model. Let's see what's said about the 550XP, which didn't exist in this country in 2010, when the link you refer to was dated: OM, 545, 545 TrioBrake, 550XP, 550XP TrioBrake, 550XPG, 550XPG TrioBrake, 2011-11 Document type: Manual Last updated:11/18/2011:

"WARRANTY PERIOD
Any warranted part which is not
scheduled for replacement as required maintenance, or
which is scheduled only for regular inspection to the effect
of “repair or replace as necessary” shall be warranted for
2 years.
Any warranted part which is scheduled for
replacement as required maintenance shall be warranted
for the period of time up to the first scheduled replacement
point for that part."​

Hmmnnnn, it seems we have a failure to communicate between the Husqvarna info sources, or, perhaps one might consider that Feb. 1 2010 info made invalid by later company literature?

Plenty of folks buy the XP saws for personal, non-commercial use. It would seem more than odd if a company's best, and most expensive products would be short-changed in the warranty department if used in the same fashion as their homeowner specific line. Of course, stranger things have happened.

I'm not convinced that the XP saws are truly limited to a 6 month (or 1 year) warranty if not used professionally and would and will be prepared with written documentation to argue the issue when next I purchase a saw... "I'll show you my date, if you'll show me yours..."

Last edited:
I correct myself, XP for consumer use got bumped up to two years, not one. However, obviously, it did not use to be that way. They definitely like to contradict themselves.

Last edited:
Both saws ported?

No, the 550 was stock and the 346 is ported and one of the strongest ones around. It has done extremely well in the GTG saw races, it is "Monkeyed".:clap:

So with that being said a stock saw holding it's own with a ported sold me. I ordered one the same week. Unfortunately it won't be in till the end of March.

No, the 550 was stock and the 346 is ported and one of the strongest ones around. It has done extremely well in the GTG saw races, it is "Monkeyed".:clap:

So with that being said a stock saw holding it's own with a ported sold me. I ordered one the same week. Unfortunately it won't be in till the end of March.

I did find an airleak in that saw and replaced the weak zama carb- ready for a redo Ron :hmm3grin2orange:

A month or two ago I was in the local Husky dealer buying something unrelated to chainsaws and was talking to him about the new saws. He mentioned about what's coming in the future with these Autotune saws......HAVING to buy their premix in order to keep the warranty in tact as well as having an onboard "computer" knowing everything about how the saw was ran. That's the jist of what he said, but I wish I remembered more of the details. I left glad to own a ported 346XP and ported 390XP before they turn these saws into a poster-board for the EPA.

Hi there jrhawk9,

I wouldn't discount the auto tune saws until you have run one. The 550XP is real strong for a stock saw. And for the dealer being able to see how your ran it, so what. It is either idling or at 100% throttle.:msp_smile:

I'm not referring to how they run or their performance.....I'm referring to "big brother". I don't care for being told which fuel to buy in order to keep it in warranty, especially when they have vested interest in the fuel which is req'd......lol Just seems they are headed towards having way too much control.

I've seen it save people alot of money on a couple of Stihl products, we just want the consumer to get in the habit of using Ultra which has 20% more lubricity than the orange bottle dino, 40% more detergents to keep the carbon out and a additive that protects all the brass and copper parts in the fuel system from water and ethanol, you can buy a six pack of one gallon bottles or a two or two and a half it doesn't matter and we register it for you. With the Stihl program, you don't need to buy the quarts of pre-mix.

I had a customer last Thursday come in and say the local Husky dealer voided his warranty because his week old 460 locked up and the dealer tested the fuel and said it was 12% ethanol and that voided the warranty, couldn't help him. I realize there are two sides too every story but we were glad to give him 40.00 for his 460 for a parts saw and sell him a new 311, we have the same policy anything over 10% voids the warranty, but I'm not voiding a warranty for 2%, a person could add a drop or two of water above the line for water and throw the test off.

Remember the warranties are only for mfg defects, I've seen the added warranty get a person a new carb after 3 years on a blower due to a leaking welch plug and also seen it get a carb replaced on a bad needle seat.

I've seen it save people alot of money on a couple of Stihl products, we just want the consumer to get in the habit of using Ultra which has 20% more lubricity than the orange bottle dino, 40% more detergents to keep the carbon out and a additive that protects all the brass and copper parts in the fuel system from water and ethanol, you can buy a six pack of one gallon bottles or a two or two and a half it doesn't matter and we register it for you. With the Stihl program, you don't need to buy the quarts of pre-mix.

I had a customer last Thursday come in and say the local Husky dealer voided his warranty because his week old 460 locked up and the dealer tested the fuel and said it was 12% ethanol and that voided the warranty, couldn't help him. I realize there are two sides too every story but we were glad to give him 40.00 for his 460 for a parts saw and sell him a new 311, we have the same policy anything over 10% voids the warranty, but I'm not voiding a warranty for 2%, a person could add a drop or two of water above the line for water and throw the test off.

Remember the warranties are only for mfg defects, I've seen the added warranty get a person a new carb after 3 years on a blower due to a leaking welch plug and also seen it get a carb replaced on a bad needle seat.

What I would really like to see, but never will, is some sort of accountability for excessive levels of ethanol in pump gas.

This is the sort of thing where if there is any liability, it will probably be limited to replacing your gasoline, but it will be extremely difficult to get a gas station to pay for a blown up saw.

It's totally unreasonable to expect a consumer to go and test their gas before each purchase. A lot of people, especially in the north east, simply do not have access to ethanol free fuel.

I'm not referring to how they run or their performance.....I'm referring to "big brother". I don't care for being told which fuel to buy in order to keep it in warranty, especially when they have vested interest in the fuel which is req'd......lol Just seems they are headed towards having way too much control.

The manufacturer is not requiring you to purchase the oil or the fuel mix. If you want to increase the warranty by 1 year you can purchase the oil or an additional 2 years by buying 3 quarts of the mixed fuel.

Life is full of choices, if you don't like the promotion, don't participate.:greenchainsaw:

The manufacturer is not requiring you to purchase the oil or the fuel mix. If you want to increase the warranty by 1 year you can purchase the oil or an additional 2 years by buying 3 quarts of the mixed fuel.

Life is full of choices, if you don't like the promotion, don't participate.:greenchainsaw:

yeah, I understand it's a choice, and my beef was not about that at all. Like I said in my original post.....according to the local dealer it's just the tip of the iceberg in terms of what the --future-- is going to bring. Saws are potentially only going to be warranted if you use the pre-mix sold by Husky and supposedly the saws will have the technology (ECM) to determine so. If this is the case and this does happen, it's a little too much for me. For example, I run Bel-Ray H1R @ 32:1 because I feel it offers better protection & burns cleaner than Husky's XP oil @ 50:1. If what I heard becomes reality, we won't have a choice if we want to keep the warranty....even though there are better options out there we will all be forced to use Husky's pre-mixed stuff. Who knows, maybe the dealer I spoke to is off his rocker, but what he told me did not sit well with me. I don't like it when big brother tries to protect us from ourselves......it seems the knowledgeable/informed ones are the ones who suffer the most.

It makes sense to me that this promotion is just a way to "test the waters" so to speak and is just the first step in what I was told and what I mentioned above.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back