Ticks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Majorpayne

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I use Permetherin 10% mixed i ounce to 16 ounces water. Spray your clothes and boots and let dry before wearing. I have tried this and it works. I read the dosage on a turkey hunting forum.

ive had lymes twice now and it is not a fun ordeal. it has put me out of the logging business because of not being able to work in the heat . I feel like im about to die in hot weather now.

ive had lymes twice now and it is not a fun ordeal. it has put me out of the logging business because of not being able to work in the heat . I feel like im about to die in hot weather now.

Man that really sucks. Lymes is a terrible affliction. My SIL contracted it 3 years ago and still has issues from it. I wish you the best!

Been following this myself. Sounds like a fix is around the corner.

Potential Lyme Disease Vaccine Shows Promise

A vaccine for Lyme disease may be on its way, following a promising phase 1/2 clinical trial from investigators at the Stony Brook University School of Medicine and Brookhaven National Laboratory.

The research team consisted of scientists from Stony Brook University, Brookhaven National Laboratory, and Baxter International Inc. They analyzed the safety and immune response potential of the vaccine in a range of doses among 300 people living in Germany and Austria.

Study volunteers received three primary immunizations and one booster. All types and doses - some of which had an adjuvent, an additive that triggers an immune response to the vaccine - resulted in significant antibodies against all species of Borrelia.

my mom got a form of this, and spent a year on I V antibiotics, her immune system is crap and now she is
diabetic and kidneys are getting weak :msp_sad: ticks can make you very sick

I have a lot of ticks where I live. This spring I would always have 3 or 4 on me until I sprayed my clothes and boots. It lasts for 6 or 7 washings too.

My wife and I both have lyme. Neither of us can stand even warmish to hot weather any more.

My wife and I both have lyme. Neither of us can stand even warmish to hot weather any more.

Interesting! I contracted lymes nearly 2 years ago, treated it, and havn't been able to take hot weather since. I just figured it was my age kicking in and thought nothing about the lymes till now. No other symptoms seem to have lingered but the intolerance for humid hot weather.
Glad i tuned in. :msp_thumbup:

I have several large trees in my yard and thought ticks fell out of the trees and got on me. I googled "ticks falling from trees" and from what I read they do not. They like grass and weeds.

I have several large trees in my yard and thought ticks fell out of the trees and got on me. I googled "ticks falling from trees" and from what I read they do not. They like grass and weeds.

They do come out of trees. I have a big cedar that when ever I get near it I can count on a half dozen or better on me.I keep the grass mowed tight in that field.

My wife and I have had lyme going on little over 2 years now. It sucks period. I've always been a very busy person as long as my eyes were open. Now it's a struggle to put one foot in front of the other.................

I had lymes arthritis and thought I was having heart problems before they initially treated me. I stayed in a fog for months after the first go round. they had to give me anti-depression medicine just to get me out of bed and moving in the mornings.

They do come out of trees. I have a big cedar that when ever I get near it I can count on a half dozen or better on me.I keep the grass mowed tight in that field.

My wife and I have had lyme going on little over 2 years now. It sucks period. I've always been a very busy person as long as my eyes were open. Now it's a struggle to put one foot in front of the other.................

Google "ticks falling" from trees". I did last year because I was going to spray for them. I have a picnic table under a maple tree and everytime I sat there I would find a tick on me is why I googled it. It makes sense cause if they jumped out of the tree looks like one would miss and land on the table. They are climbing your leg.

I have read that before modern insect repellents came about it was common to drink flowers of sulfur mixed with water to repel ticks and fleas.

you guys got me wondering now. symptums sound familier. i have logged here for over 20 years and prolly had thousands on me, never a rash tho. what does it mean when any tick that bites ends up dead by the end of the day?

When I was a kid we owned a farm in North Carolina. We all had ticks on us, all the time. My mom even made us boys carry combs to comb our hair ever once in a while to make sure there weren't any we couldn't see. At lunch we'd perform tick checks on each other. I hated ticks too.

Glad I live up here.

I have a lot of ticks where I live. This spring I would always have 3 or 4 on me until I sprayed my clothes and boots. It lasts for 6 or 7 washings too.

I hear Cook County has a ****-load of bloodsuckers.

you guys got me wondering now. symptums sound familier. i have logged here for over 20 years and prolly had thousands on me, never a rash tho. what does it mean when any tick that bites ends up dead by the end of the day?

Too much of that cheap ass Md. "Hooch" :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

You may not always get a rash. My wife had the bullseye rash, but mine was a bite on top of my head.

If you know that you had a tick bite, even with no rash, many doctors are now prescribing short term Doxy proflactively.

Trust me the inconvenience of taking antibiotics for a few days sure beats having lyme... Chronic Lyme disease will kick your ass.

Mike is correct...I nearly died from a tick born disease while working in the tropics 26 years ago. I was hospitalized at Gorgas Army Hospital in Panama and treated by the researchers at the Gorgas Memorial Lab for Tropical Disease Research there.

Since then, when my wife, my dog or I get a tick attached we take one doxycycline 100 mg profalactically. I worked in the tropics for some 27 years and live part time in WV and Virginia where ticks are now a year round problem. I've pulled as many as 38 off me after just a short walk down a trial and earlier this year we pulled dozens off our selves and our dog after walking on trails in the Roosevelt National Grasslands in North Dakota. If taken within 48 hours of the initial bite one doxycycline is the profalactic we choose. I'm not a doctor or giving advice just stating what has proven to work for me.

Back