Tilton Equipment no longer Distributing Jonsered Equipment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(Assuming this is true . . .) Tilton will continue to be an important player in this market: Total, Tecomec, etc. That includes a lot of the common products we see: grinders, file guides, bars, etc. They may also be a non-exclusive distributor for some other, related lines.

I'm a little worried for our area Jonsered rep who is a long time veteran in this industry and a good guy. Hope guys like him don't fall through the gaps in any change-overs. I hope that shops that have invested in the brand can also keep the line, or at least still get parts for their customers who have also invested in these saws.

Philbert

(Assuming this is true . . .) Tilton will continue to be an important player in this market: Total, Tecomec, etc. That includes a lot of the common products we see: grinders, file guides, bars, etc. They may also be a non-exclusive distributor for some other, related lines.

I'm a little worried for our area Jonsered rep who is a long time veteran in this industry and a good guy. Hope guys like him don't fall through the gaps in any change-overs. I hope that shops that have invested in the brand can also keep the line, or at least still get parts for their customers who have also invested in these saws.

Philbert

I share your concern about that, and hope that Husky won't cut guys like that off - likely not! What happens to the rest of their product line when Tilton is out of the picture may be a different story....

Last edited:
I'll put two rumors out there just to stir the pot, 1st, about a year ago at the Canadian power equipment expo the husky rep said that US sales of Jonsered will be direct just like husky, but didn't have any specific info about the dealer network. 2cnd and more recently I heard husky is pulling out of TSC and putting Jred in its place. Either way I'll be looking at Stihl as I have a close neighbor dealer that has the full line of husky.

Tilton still has all of the Jred info on their dealer site, dont know for how long.

I sent a few forms and emails to Jonsered stating that I was interested in becoming a dealer again if Tilton was out of the picture. I will let you know if I ever get a reply.

Later
Dan

Tilton dropped the hammer on their reps last night; they are done as of this coming Thu. Some good guys there and I feel bad for them. A letter from Tilton is on the way to Jonsered dealers. Guys in New England might see it today. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm told Tilton will sell what they have in stock, both parts and saws til Feb. 15. Husky will also contact dealers soon. Pretty easy for guys like me that have both brands; it will just be something else I can order. Everyone else will have to sign up; shouldn't be a big deal.

All product codes and pricing are in the system, but are not yet available to ship. Don't have a date on that yet. They still have some of what we would have to consider "outgoing" models like 2159's and 2153's, and I'm hoping there might be some deals on them. (Just hoping, I have no info). The 2258 is in the system, so we are finally going to see some of the new AT models in Red. I have no info on what/when we will see the other stuff such as the 2260 and 2253.

Will this be anything like the Echo/ Shindaiwa merger where all the Echo dealers
were offered Shindaiwa, and Shindaiwa dealers offered Echo?

Just curious what it means for the two local Jonsered dealers who aren't Husky dealers.

Tilton dropped the hammer on their reps last night; they are done as of this coming Thu. Some good guys there and I feel bad for them. A letter from Tilton is on the way to Jonsered dealers. Guys in New England might see it today. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm told Tilton will sell what they have in stock, both parts and saws til Feb. 15. Husky will also contact dealers soon. Pretty easy for guys like me that have both brands; it will just be something else I can order. Everyone else will have to sign up; shouldn't be a big deal.

All product codes and pricing are in the system, but are not yet available to ship. Don't have a date on that yet. They still have some of what we would have to consider "outgoing" models like 2159's and 2153's, and I'm hoping there might be some deals on them. (Just hoping, I have no info). The 2258 is in the system, so we are finally going to see some of the new AT models in Red. I have no info on what/when we will see the other stuff such as the 2260 and 2253.

You said this should be good for Jonsered fans. I clearly have no idea how the supply channels/distributions works for OPE. Could you tell us why this is a good thing, or should be? Is it good for the dealer, consumer, or both? Just curious because I am ignorant to things like this.

. . . I heard husky is pulling out of TSC and putting Jred in its place. . . .

The Husqvarna group needs to do some straightening out of its many lines. They need to decide which are 'Pro' lines; which are only going to be sold through servicing dealers; which can be sold mail order or big box stores; etc. It's pretty confusing for the consumer as is, and actually slightly deceptive when they sell a saw as a 'Husqvarna' and it's really another brand in orange dress.

They certainly have enough brands to differentiate. Heck, they could give Home Depot, or Lowes, or TSC (etc.) 'exclusive' lines if they want to, aside from the private labeling they do for Sears / Craftsman.

As for the Husqvarna / Jonsered thing, they also need to decide if these are really going to be 2, distinct lines of saws, or go the way of General Motors (Chevy/Pontiac/Buick/Oldsmobile) where for many years the differences were just cosmetic.

Philbert

Husqvarna Group Brands
Husqvarna, Jonsered, McCulloch, Poulan, PoulanPro, WeedEater, Gardena, Diamant Boart, Dixon, Bluebird, Flymo, Klippo and Zenoah (others? some brand names they own but not currently using?)

(Edited/Snippets combined from company web pages.) In North America the greater part of sales to consumers are channeled through major retailers such as Sears, Lowe’s, Walmart and Home Depot.

Husqvarna-branded products are sold mainly through dealers, i.e. small independent retailers who also offer technical service. The main end-users for this brand are professional garden/landscape maintenance companies as well as municipalities and institutions.

The greater part of production is at Group production facilities in the US. Handheld products such as trimmers and chainsaws in the low-end segment are manufactured at the Group's plants in China. Handheld products such as chainsaws and clearing saws are supplied by the plant in Huskvarna, Sweden. Handheld products are also manufactured in Brazil.

In Sweden trimmers, clearing saws, chainsaws, lawn mowers and ride-on lawn mowers are manufactured. Electric lawn mowers and the robotic lawn mower Automower® is manufactured at a facility in the UK. Gardena products are manufactured at three production facilities in Germany and three in the Czech Republic. In China handheld products such as trimmers and chainsaws in the low-price segment are produced. The Group also has a facility in Japan where chainsaws and other handheld products are produced. As of 2011, parts of the production of walk-behind and non walk-behind lawn mowers have been moved to a new production facility in Poland. These facilities are specialized and highly flexible, in order to enable response to seasonal and weather-related variations in demand.

Production is located mainly at the Group's plants in Sweden, Belgium, Portugal, the US and China.

Will this be anything like the Echo/ Shindaiwa merger where all the Echo dealers
were offered Shindaiwa, and Shindaiwa dealers offered Echo?

Just curious what it means for the two local Jonsered dealers who aren't Husky dealers.

It's my understanding that they will be buying Jonsered from Husky. It won't be a case where eveyone gets both lines though. I will because I've already got them. As soon as those product numbers go live, I'll be placing one huge Jonsered order.

Last edited:
You said this should be good for Jonsered fans. I clearly have no idea how the supply channels/distributions works for OPE. Could you tell us why this is a good thing, or should be? Is it good for the dealer, consumer, or both? Just curious because I am ignorant to things like this.

No more waiting 2 years for the Jonny version of every new Husky.

Dealers will have longer terms than from Tilton. They'll be able to stock more product and look like a real store.

The brand was doing a slow fade and needs some life breathed into it. Some markets have remained strong, but in many others Jonsered has all but vanished. IMO this is more a case of rescuing the brand from oblivion.

Possible negatives........

My guess is the small, part time, out of the house dealers won't be invited to the party. They are going to want real businesses. Not a guy who works all day and then runs a shop out of his garage in the evening.

While the parts situation is already sketchy on older models, you have to wonder how many of the older parts Husky will decide to catelog. So, that situation might get worse.

They certainly have enough brands to differentiate. Heck, they could give Home Depot, or Lowes, or TSC (etc.) 'exclusive' lines if they want to, aside from the private labeling they do for Sears / Craftsman.
)

Yup! You're right on target. Did you attend the meetings??????? :msp_wink:

Jonsered consumer models, 2255 and down, will replace Husky in TSC, with Husky units staying in Lowes. The brand needs exposure desperately, so this is not a bad deal for me, and should be the same for most guys. Most other dealers I know do far better with the pro stuff than the homeowner models.

The pro models are all still in the system: 2166, 2172, 2188, 2153 and the new 2258, including full wrap and WH models on some. I don't see them turning this into a consumer only line at all.

Just a couple of questions from an outsider looking in. First, why does Jonsered exist if Husqvarna covers all the models. Second, what percentage of the global chainsaw market belongs to Josered? Third, are there places in the free world where Stihl and Husqvarna don't dominate the commercial market? Fourth and lastly, how come neither Russia nor China have entered the chainsaw market in the USA and flooded the market?

Just a couple of questions from an outsider looking in. First, why does Jonsered exist if Husqvarna covers all the models.

Not an expert, but will give my .02 anyways. :) If Jonsered goes away, it is not guaranteed that all those customers will go to Husky. They could lose customers to Stihl or even Dolmar. Same reason there is GMC. It gives you more dealers where there is a strong history of a brand.

Second, what percentage of the global chainsaw market belongs to Josered?

No idea, but is has to be pretty low but probably above Dolmar.

Third, are there places in the free world where Stihl and Husqvarna don't dominate the commercial market?

Entire countries? No. There is strong regional sales for the Jonsered brand, even in the US. I see just as many Jonsered saws here in Maine as Stihl. Here in the US, Jonsered has a strong following in the northeast and great lakes region. On a worldwide scale it is not that significant, but it is still a large market share that would be foolish to give up.

Fourth and lastly, how come neither Russia nor China have entered the chainsaw market in the USA and flooded the market?

Quality and brand reputation.

Just my .02. :cheers:

Just a couple of questions from an outsider looking in. First, why does Jonsered exist if Husqvarna covers all the models. Second, what percentage of the global chainsaw market belongs to Josered? Third, are there places in the free world where Stihl and Husqvarna don't dominate the commercial market? Fourth and lastly, how come neither Russia nor China have entered the chainsaw market in the USA and flooded the market?

PB did a pretty good job but I will chime in.

1. We have to think back to the creation of Jonsered. It was originally a separate company with unique models. Following the acquisition by whatever the husqvarna conglomerate was back when, the husqvarna models were folded into the jonsered line. The jonsered brand still has a strong following in some areas, and certainly with some users. Some people don't openly acknowledge or don't know that they are internally all but identical to husqvarna, at best they may admit some sort of collaboration or similarity.

In many places, you have a Stihl dealer, a husqvarna dealer, and then a more "off" or "smaller" brand dealer. At least locally here I do. Some echo, some jonsered, maybe some dolmar, shindaiwa...smaller lines. If you get rid of jonsered, husqvarna loses that shelf space in all those dealers. Nobody is going to want to open up a husqvarna dealer right next to a husqvarna dealer. More dealers in the same place is a good thing.

2. Normally industry market share is closely guarded--maybe bob can chime in with something that's been presented at a trade show. The closest thing I have seen, which was a preference poll, rather than a sales poll, showed the following results:

"With over 3,100 votes cast, Husqvarna was the chain saw of choice as voted on by About Forestry readers. Here are the percentages preferred and ranked by brand of saw through October, 2001:
Husqvarna - 41%; Stihl - 40%; Jonsered - 7%; Echo - 4%; All others - 8%

As you can see, voting for a favorite saw is extremely close when separating between first and second place brands. Husqvarna and Stihl are by far the most popular saws in America."

Very imprecise, from a website, and it's preference, not sales. But maybe this gives SOME idea.

3. Not sure. Probably. I imagine with how big EFCO/EMAK is it must be pretty popular in southern europe like italy.

4. The russian designs that I have seen have been fairly archaic. In that WLC there was some eastern european saw and there was literally one participant who had them. Presumably they are technically inferior. Regarding the chinese, there certainly are various saws manufactured in china for sale and in operation--even stihl and husky have plants there. The chinese brands that I have seen are largely copies of other designs. They cant bring in a blatant copy of a stihl or husqvarna or dolmar saw and sell it here--they will be subject to patent, trademark, etc. At this point in time you have to really have your #### together to meet EPA and safety requirements--most of the chinese designed and chinese manufactured goods probably cant do this.

There are some cases of chinese manufactured goods as a brand gaining ground in the US. If you look at LIUGONG loaders, they have been able to gain some buyers because they are basically 1/2 the price of a Deere or Cat machine. Not great for a quarry, but some say they are OK for snow.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back