Tilton Equipment no longer Distributing Jonsered Equipment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Husqvarna Group Brands
Husqvarna, Jonsered, McCulloch, Poulan, PoulanPro, WeedEater, Gardena, Diamant Boart, Dixon, Bluebird, Flymo, Klippo and Zenoah (others? some brand names they own but not currently using?)

The Partner brand still is "active", but likely on the way out(?) - and I assume they still have the Pioneer rights.

Zenoah is branded as Redmax in the US.

Up here in Canada we got rid of the Jonsered middle man distributor (Buccaneer Industries) well over 10 years ago. It was a win for both Jonsered and Husqvarna dealers alike, not to mention the consumer.

Entire countries? No. There is strong regional sales for the Jonsered brand, even in the US. I see just as many Jonsered saws here in Maine as Stihl. Here in the US, Jonsered has a strong following in the northeast and great lakes region. On a worldwide scale it is not that significant, but it is still a large market share that would be foolish to give up.

Quality and brand reputation.

Just my .02. :cheers:

Jonsered is strongest in Scandinavia, and the parts of the US you mentioned. I doubt it would be wise by Husky to remove the brand from those areas, like you said.
It is what Husky describes as a "tactical brand".

In my little neck of the woods, Jonsered is king, but Husky has been closing the gap in recent years. Stihl is a distant third. Most loggers, homeowners, and dealers for that matter, don't know that Husky's and Jonesy's are the same. I have a small but loyal local following who have been begging me to get a Jonsered dealership, but they don't understand that just because the local one is bad, doesn't mean they will let another one open up 5 miles away. That guy may be in trouble.

im a jonsered owner,,i buy one a year. i will not buy husqvarna if jonsered is discontinued here. i will go back to an axe! i choose jonsered over husky because this local husqvarna dealer is crap! i mean bad service, bad prices and worse warranty. hope husky thinks this thru very good. gm would suffer terribly from discontinuing gmc even though there models are alike . same in this situation.

PB did a pretty good job but I will chime in.

1. We have to think back to the creation of Jonsered. It was originally a separate company with unique models. Following the acquisition by whatever the husqvarna conglomerate was back when, the husqvarna models were folded into the jonsered line. The jonsered brand still has a strong following in some areas, and certainly with some users. Some people don't openly acknowledge or don't know that they are internally all but identical to husqvarna, at best they may admit some sort of collaboration or similarity.

In many places, you have a Stihl dealer, a husqvarna dealer, and then a more "off" or "smaller" brand dealer. At least locally here I do. Some echo, some jonsered, maybe some dolmar, shindaiwa...smaller lines. If you get rid of jonsered, husqvarna loses that shelf space in all those dealers. Nobody is going to want to open up a husqvarna dealer right next to a husqvarna dealer. More dealers in the same place is a good thing.

2. Normally industry market share is closely guarded--maybe bob can chime in with something that's been presented at a trade show. The closest thing I have seen, which was a preference poll, rather than a sales poll, showed the following results:

"With over 3,100 votes cast, Husqvarna was the chain saw of choice as voted on by About Forestry readers. Here are the percentages preferred and ranked by brand of saw through October, 2001:
Husqvarna - 41%; Stihl - 40%; Jonsered - 7%; Echo - 4%; All others - 8%

As you can see, voting for a favorite saw is extremely close when separating between first and second place brands. Husqvarna and Stihl are by far the most popular saws in America."

Very imprecise, from a website, and it's preference, not sales. But maybe this gives SOME idea.

3. Not sure. Probably. I imagine with how big EFCO/EMAK is it must be pretty popular in southern europe like italy.

4. The russian designs that I have seen have been fairly archaic. In that WLC there was some eastern european saw and there was literally one participant who had them. Presumably they are technically inferior. Regarding the chinese, there certainly are various saws manufactured in china for sale and in operation--even stihl and husky have plants there. The chinese brands that I have seen are largely copies of other designs. They cant bring in a blatant copy of a stihl or husqvarna or dolmar saw and sell it here--they will be subject to patent, trademark, etc. At this point in time you have to really have your #### together to meet EPA and safety requirements--most of the chinese designed and chinese manufactured goods probably cant do this.

There are some cases of chinese manufactured goods as a brand gaining ground in the US. If you look at LIUGONG loaders, they have been able to gain some buyers because they are basically 1/2 the price of a Deere or Cat machine. Not great for a quarry, but some say they are OK for snow.

LOL!! Well the poll may be only a preference poll..but it tells a story that corporate likes to see.....Husky 41%....Stihl 40%...Jonsered 7%......that means that since Husky and Jonsered share the same corporate parents......combined totals 48%........8 percentage points ahead of the best competition.....that looks good at the board table....but it takes Jonsered to make it happen....and some people like Jonsereds better that all the others...........I believe you would see Jonsered rise in sales if the distribution was better...used to be 6-7 dealers around here in the 70's.....now only 1..... 25 miles away and they don't stock much of anything....once they were King around here .....nobody ever heard of Husky or Stihl....just Mac, Homelite, Lombard, Pioneer, Partner....and Jonsereds....

Kind of the same reason that no one else has heard of the dist. Sunbelt!!!!

They had too many idiots picking up their phones for way too long!!!!!!!!!!

If you have customers on the phone, you do not come up with reasons for them to hang up!!!!!!!!!

Loved the saws, just saw no reason to try and sell them in the 90's, went with Shindaiwa, not a good choice either.....

I would argue there is a deep seated brand loyalty to Jonsered that Husky doesn't have...but that might be from the 70's when the 49,52,621,70e, etc. were state of the art-and real Jonsereds. Look at the member signatures on this site and look how many Jonsered(s) are listed. Of course maybe I've just got rose colored glasses on being a fan myself.

Either way I hope it works out and Jonsered stays a premium saw brand.

I worked with a guy in the 1990's who now owns a successful Husky dealership near me. Need to get back in touch with the fellow and ask him if he'll carry the Jonsered line. On second thought.........I better not. The temptation to throw close to a grand (that I really don't have any business spending) on a shiney new 2188 would be much harder to fight off if the nearest Jonsered dealer was significantly closer to me. Right now the nearest Jonsered dealer is Baileys in Woodland. That's 100 miles plus....:popcorn:

I would argue there is a deep seated brand loyalty to Jonsered that Husky doesn't have...but that might be from the 70's when the 49,52,621,70e, etc. were state of the art-and real Jonsereds. Look at the member signatures on this site and look how many Jonsered(s) are listed. Of course maybe I've just got rose colored glasses on being a fan myself.

Either way I hope it works out and Jonsered stays a premium saw brand.

The 70's was 40 years ago!!!!

I worked with a guy in the 1990's who now owns a successful Husky dealership near me. Need to get back in touch with the fellow and ask him if he'll carry the Jonsered line. On second thought.........I better not. The temptation to throw close to a grand (that I really don't have any business spending) on a shiney new 2188 would be much harder to fight off if the nearest Jonsered dealer was significantly closer to me. Right now the nearest Jonsered dealer is Baileys in Woodland. That's 100 miles plus....:popcorn:

LOL!! The "Sting" of the price is relieved quickly buy the soothing quality of the purchase............That's what I tell myself........works usually.....unless the wife finds out......then the "Sting" is eternal........

Latest posts

Back