Time for a second saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Como

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I mainly block soft wood, this year at least 30 cords as my supply is getting low and I have the time and local sources.

Softwood, but at 10,000 ft.

My current saw is a Makita 50cc from Baileys, I was going to get a second one but Baileys have significantly increased the price of the big brother, $500 ish to $700.

There were no local good shops, however my local True Value has signed up with Stihl and I am on good terms with the people who work there, my dog is on very good terms, they have treats at the till.

A friend bought an Echo last year, he probably does 15 cords a year, and really likes it.

I called the servicing Echo dealer, them or HD and they seem to sell for the same price and asked what modifications they did for altitude. Was told none needed! WTF. I note Echo warranty includes tuning within 90 days.

Anyway the local now Stihl supplier said a 261 which will be c $600 out the door, vs a $415 CS 590 for the Echo. This is a size up on my friends Echo.

Echo has the cc and a 5 year warranty.

Stihl is a lot more expensive, 2 year warranty using their oil and possibly better made.

So which one?

You already have a 50cc saw. Get something bigger. MS460.

If you decide you want a dolmar I'd skip 6410 and 7310 and buy the 7910, sounds like a lot of saw I know but the weight is even across the board and personally blocking wood I like a big saw. Just seems like less wear and tear.

When I bought my Blue they were cheaper than the Red, seems other way around now.

I have 20 and 16 for my Makita, 16 is a bit zippier, but with a sharp chain both are fine. If was going a lot bigger, I would want a lot longer bar to save my back.

When I bought my Blue they were cheaper than the Red, seems other way around now.

I have 20 and 16 for my Makita, 16 is a bit zippier, but with a sharp chain both are fine. If was going a lot bigger, I would want a lot longer bar to save my back.
I think you get more for your money with the Dolmar, and what the lads have said with the previous pots is true.

I had not really thought about buying used, both those seem possible, maybe the 6400 has sold?

Latest posts

Back