Time to Burn One!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have had my stove for 8 yrs now. Heats up livingroom and kitchen area well.
Went with a dealer in Rockfod.

Does not get the heat to the bedrooms though. Once you start down this road it is hard to turn back. ;-)

http://www.bensonstone.com/fireplaces/stoves.html

Now the downside is I get barked at that it is too hot in these rooms, just this morning...But the upside is she is still wearing short shorts as she is complaining! ;-)

Thanks for the link. Maybe i'm weird but I get excited when looking at or talking about anything to do with heating with wood.

We are currently renting do to moving alot over the last couple of years. Hopefully we have settled down and will be buying a home in the next year or so. I will def. be heating my home with wood. For now, I will do the best I can with the fireplace.

:hmm3grin2orange:

My first fire of the season is burning down to embers just now. Just some small pine to knock off the chill.

Nice to finally get things going! :cheers:
I finally gave up waiting for LOML to warm me up with a snuggle. Then she said, "Doc, get that stove lit tonight. A man and his wife cannot live on love alone!"
:blob2:

I probably should clean my chimney, load the basement with wood, cover my wood pile with a tarp so I have to shovel snow off of it, fill my barn with wood, get my splitter ready, split a ton of wood.

I was hopeing to get all that done in March or April, it is October now.

Dang, this year flew by.

I hope I can burn all winter this year, I have 3-4 cords ready, with about 2-3 of maple split a month ago (rounds have been cut last summer)

I wont fire my stove up untill we are done harvesting, hopefully in a few weeks I can start a fire.

Then come Jan or Feb I will be ready to quite burning.

It got down to around 38 here in Oxford, Maine saturday night. It was 61 in the house when I woke up sunday morning so I got a fire going in the wood stove to warm the house up for the day.

In my nice big drafty house, it was 58 degrees yesterday morning. I cleaned the chimney, the stove pipe, and the stove. Then a split some elm up and fired the first break in of the year. It was cool enough for another break in sized fire yesterday evening. I'll do one more a little longer this evening and I'm ready for the season.

I love this time of year. Not too stressfull, just burn the stove for an hour or two and forget about it. Sooo much paper dry wood this year, it's going to be a good year for burning for me.

First two nights of firing the stove of the year this last weekend. Had a low of 25 Sunday AM, and 33 this morning.

Burning some year and a half seasoned horse chestnut, not much heat (expected, and what I'm looking for this time of year), but decent burn time for what it is. It's not a native wood to this area, came from a friend's yard, her grandmother planted a smorgasborg of "exotic" trees many years back, and these two came down to make room for a shop. I've got a little over a cord of the stuff to get me through till I need to break into the "real" wood.

It went down to 45 Saturday morning this weekend but it was sunny enough to warm the house for night so didn't think I'd need the stove for another couple of weeks. But after coming home from work this afternoon to a 2nd day of raw and cold 50 degree drizzle, and a house in the mid 60's, I finally got tired of the wife dropping subtle hints so I lit 'er up (the stove). The Napoleon 1402 has cherry nuggets in it right now and the house is 75. I use the short 6-12" stubby pieces under 16" that I can't/won't sell. Also those hard and dense knotty pieces get saved for us to use and give lots of heat.

We had a lot of stink bugs this year and when I opened the stove to clean out last year's ashes today I found a dozen or two that were alive and must have entered the chimney. The neighbors must have smelled a cherry/stink-bug blend :laugh: It's great to be burning again.

Got a fire going tonight in the woodstove. The baby (almost 7 months) and the other baby (my wife, who said it was cold at 71 the other night) couldn't handle the 65 degrees in the house this evening without the heat on.

With the temps in the 40s and it being damp and raining outside, I figured it was a good night to play with the new stove.

Got a fire going tonight in the woodstove. The baby (almost 7 months) and the other baby (my wife, who said it was cold at 71 the other night) couldn't handle the 65 degrees in the house this evening without the heat on.

With the temps in the 40s and it being damp and raining outside, I figured it was a good night to play with the new stove.

Ditto. Central Maryland is at 50 going down to 45. I've been burning some crap silver maple I was trying to give away all day. My daughter says we're the only ones with a toasty house in Brunswick today cause nobody wants to fire the oil furnaces this early in the season.

Ditto. Central Maryland is at 50 going down to 45. I've been burning some crap silver maple I was trying to give away all day. My daughter says we're the only ones with a toasty house in Brunswick today cause nobody wants to fire the oil furnaces this early in the season.

This is my first attempt at a long burn, maybe even overnight with the new stove. Just came down to check it before going to bed for the night and it's a comfortable 72* upstairs. Stove temp is just under 500*, a new high for this thing. I'm really curious to see what's left and what the temps are in the morning.

This is my first attempt at a long burn, maybe even overnight with the new stove. Just came down to check it before going to bed for the night and it's a comfortable 72* upstairs. Stove temp is just under 500*, a new high for this thing. I'm really curious to see what's left and what the temps are in the morning.

What are you burning?

Same here. I have a couple neighbors, typical penny pinching Yankees (typical except that they don't burn wood) who don't turn the heat on at least until the first hard frost. With an over abundance of wood, I'm enjoying not having to wear my flannel lined Carhartt's yet.

What are you burning?

Basically, I had some rounds and splits that were cut to length for the old stove before we knew we were going to replace it, and the wood needs to be a few inches shorter for the new stove. I just cut off the inches I needed to from the rounds and splits and I was burning those pieces. It's hardwood, some black locust, some walnut, whatever it was that needed to be shortened.

I posted this on the thread where a couple of us new to the EPA stoves have been asking questions:

I enjoy heating the house this way, but it's even more enjoyable now that I don't HAVE to reload the stove in the middle of the night to still have heat in the morning.

I came down around 6:45 or so this morning and there were some coals left, not a lot, but enough I could have rekindled a fire, but the best part is the house is still 71 throughout the upstairs.

I happened to wake up around 2:15 and figured I'd check on it and I could tell there wasn't going to be a lot of coals left, but it was still nice and hot, 74 in the hall upstairs.

I'm very content that burning some ugly chunks, basically pieces that were cut off the ends of splits/rounds that were too long for the stove to be left alone fueled this stove this well. The stove was last loaded around 9:30 and not touched again.

I imagine a load of splits will either still be burning or have a couple inches of coals left in the stove. Such a different experience compared to the old stove.

http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?p=2486869

Yup! If Mrs. Rudedog has to wear anything more than the sheerest of nighties, I'm not doing my job.

Same goes for me...I'm in the South, and it's not even cold yet (Hi:75-80 , Lo:45 at night), BUT I'm starting to fire it up just because I can...

thought I was done burning.

but not yet! Highs in the low 30's this week.....

Back