to all you i cut 300-400 cords a year

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NDtreehugger

NDtreehugger

ArboristSite Guru
If the trees are available and their big trees, it’s easy.

Farmer had a row of dead elms; he said get it or they’ll burn.
He didn’t care about clean up everything left would be pushed into a pile and burnt.
I had a week to get what I could after that the equipment would be there; I had to be out of the way. 1 week and almost 25 cord of wood piled in the side yard.

All the trees were big tall dead Elms, I fell all the trees, cut all the tops off, bucked them all, that was 5 days worth of work, then over the weekend loaded and hauled.
Everything else was splitting and stacking. Total time spent was 4 weeks, 3 weeks splitting because I split by hand and the wood was at home and safe, no need to hurry.
I can see where 1 guy could do 200-250 cords a year with the right equipment.

Dogsout

Dogsout

Can't Fix Stupid!!
Farmer had a row of dead elms; he said get it or they’ll burn.
He didn’t care about clean up everything left would be pushed into a pile and burnt.
I had a week to get what I could after that the equipment would be there; I had to be out of the way. 1 week and almost 25 cord of wood piled in the side yard.

All the trees were big tall dead Elms, I fell all the trees, cut all the tops off, bucked them all, that was 5 days worth of work, then over the weekend loaded and hauled.
Everything else was splitting and stacking. Total time spent was 4 weeks, 3 weeks splitting because I split by hand and the wood was at home and safe, no need to hurry.
I can see where 1 guy could do 200-250 cords a year with the right equipment.

You split 25 cords of Elm by HAND. My hat is off to you sir and your Elm badge is in the mail!

NDtreehugger

NDtreehugger

ArboristSite Guru
You split 25 cords of Elm by HAND. My hat is off to you sir and your Elm badge is in the mail!

I should add it was Red Elm.
I do split American elm by hand with a 20 pound sledge and wedge but try to avoid it.
On the real tuff American elm, if it still has moisture the splitting is real tuff and the wedge sometimes becomes a big nail.

Yup I want that badge, I have videos of that splitting round, my sons thought it would be fun to share with the rest of the family me swinging a big hammer sweating a river.

editpost.php

Last edited:
PA Plumber

PA Plumber

Addicted to ArboristSite
Well, this one time after bowhunting all evening, there was this tree that had blown down blocking the lane and keeping us in, and it wasn't a very big tree, but sure enough, it was across the lane and we couldn't get out, so I talked to a neighbor and he wouldn't let us borrow his saw, so another neighbor did let us borrow his saw and we were able to get out.

Total time to make 5 cuts on a single spar, about 1.5 hrs. At that rate, I don't we could process hundreds of cord a year.:monkey:

PLAYINWOOD

PLAYINWOOD

ArboristSite Guru
If I may,myself and two other fellows and a Gripo mechanical splitter did 8 cords in a day and it was already cut and piled.
We slugged our guts out... made 1200 but we were whipped.
I challenge anybody on here to try it.
To cut /split a cubic cord in a day in the woods would be a really good day, in every weather with no mechainical help..
I believe 260 cords a year is possible but your one tuff SOB and then you get to deliver it.

I do 45 cords a year in my spare time myself, with the logs delivered its a ton of work,but to do it in July and January to keep the daily average up.. no thanks

morewood

morewood

ArboristSite Guru
. AS Supporting Member.
Did someone say "pile brush"??

254077d1348502024-mornin-jpg

:hmm3grin2orange:

It's a shame you're going over to go pull that Ford/trailer off that flat field with the tractor......and it's not even muddy:msp_smile:

Shea

:msp_mad:I wish I had somewhere flat to cut, I can't turn the tractor around without backing out some of the skidder paths I cut off of:msp_mad:

DSS

Cowshot
My next door neighbor does around 300. He has an old (very old) skidder and a trailer with a log loader. Bucks it all with the saws, 575 huskies.

I do 30 or so. Thats enough, thanks.:msp_smile:

Turkeyslayer

Turkeyslayer

Smells Great
If I may,myself and two other fellows and a Gripo mechanical splitter did 8 cords in a day and it was already cut and piled.
We slugged our guts out... made 1200 but we were whipped.
I challenge anybody on here to try it.
To cut /split a cubic cord in a day in the woods would be a really good day, in every weather with no mechainical help..
I believe 260 cords a year is possible but your one tuff SOB and then you get to deliver it.

I do 45 cords a year in my spare time myself, with the logs delivered its a ton of work,but to do it in July and January to keep the daily average up.. no thanks

Strong of back, weak of mind. Thats me, lol. I try to fell, cut, split and pile 2 cords a day when I'm going at it.

indiansprings

indiansprings

Firewood Purveyor
It takes between four and five of us to cut that much year. One draggng up tops with a tractor, one sawing, sometimes two and then we run two splitters after we get what we think we can get split and load the truck and trailers up. It's dang hard. Due to my health issues we're cutting way[ way back this year. If we do 100-125 this year I'll be happy. Just not up to the daily grind this year. Have already let some customers know we're cutting our business way down this year and that they might be thinking of finding another source.

'

Hedgerow

Hedgerow

HACK
My next door neighbor does around 300. He has an old (very old) skidder and a trailer with a log loader. Bucks it all with the saws, 575 huskies.

I do 30 or so. Thats enough, thanks.:msp_smile:

That's a heck of a feat when you think about it!!!
How do you hold the saw with yer hooves???:msp_confused:

DSS

Cowshot
That's a heck of a feat when you think about it!!!
How do you hold the saw with yer hooves???:msp_confused:

I think I could do 40 iffin I had some thumbs.:msp_sneaky:

I gave hdpowers rep because the post was the funniest thing I read all day. Almost as funny as that other dude that used to spew his gobbitygoop here with pointless threads. I forgot his name.

Woodcutter TV?

Hedgerow

Hedgerow

HACK
It takes between four and five of us to cut that much year. One draggng up tops with a tractor, one sawing, sometimes two and then we run two splitters after we get what we think we can get split and load the truck and trailers up. It's dang hard. Due to my health issues we're cutting way[ way back this year. If we do 100-125 this year I'll be happy. Just not up to the daily grind this year. Have already let some customers know we're cutting our business way down this year and that they might be thinking of finding another source.

'

I'm not even advertising this year... Only got about 30 cord squirreled away, and maybe another 10 out in piles, and a fella who wants 6-8 cord green...
Now, if I could sell fresh cut Hackberry, I'm pushing up alot of that!!!
I'm running out of time!!! Pretty soon this is gonna go from past time to work...
Can't be havin' that...

farmboss45

farmboss45

ArboristSite Operative
Not sure why the OP is pickin' this fight, or who with, or, for that matter WHY????

With that said, I manage 1-2 full cords a weekend, by myself, knock 'em down and cut em' up one day, split and haul to the woodshed and stack the next 1 1/2 days, [I work 4 10's w/3day weekends] AND thats plenty for me to fill my free time.:D. Glad I don't have to make a living doing it, that would take all the fun out of it!!

Latest posts