To build a trailer.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a 09 polaris 500HO and a 4x8 trailer with 24 inch sides. I stack two rows on the trailer, (towards the tongue) about a half a rank. Its all the weight I want to pull with my quad. Sure, it could do more, but I don't want to to have a big repair bill being stupid...

Not want you want to hear, but all chinese quads are junk. There cheap for a reason.

I put two thousand down on my quad, 1.9% for three years. $94.00 finance charge for the term of the loan. $85.00 per month. If I ever want to sell it, I can get 2/3 of my money back.... Something to think about.

Keep an eye on CL you will find a good deal eventually...

for $2k, i'd buy a tractor of some type before i bought a atv. i bought a farmall A for $400, and it would pull 10x what a atv could

If you have 2k to spend, look around and find something besides the talon. It will cost you more than that in the long run.

Try searchtempest dot com and you can search all CL within a certain distance of you. I have seen a lot of quads selling for around the 2k mark that would be far better pulling.

If you have the need, a small tractor would also do very well and pull a lot more than a quad.

Keep searching, and don't drop that 2k until you find what will work for you, otherwise just flush it down the toilet, it will save you a headache later on.

I have read lots of good advice here. Last summer I also wanted a small trailer to pull behind my ATV for the purpose of gathering wood. I didn't want to spend a lot either. I ended up buying a small, used highway traler for $50. The frame was bolted construction, so I took it apart and narrowed it up by 5 inches. It now has an overall width of 48 inches, so is about the same width as my ATV (2000 Honda Rancher 350). I put in a wood floor and 14 inch sides, and put a 2" ball hitch on it so it would be the same size hitch as my larger trailer. I think this trailer is plenty big for my needs. If I fill it pretty well with wood, it is a fair load to pull, especially in forest conditions that may be rough and go up and down hills. My Rancher is geared pretty low for an ATV, and I usually have it in 1st gear when pulling this trailer with a full load. The trailer tires are pretty narrow, but I only use this trailer in dry conditions so that has not caused a problem. By the way, I paid $2,100 for my Rancher two years ago.

Here are some before and after pictures of my trailer.

Here's an option that might be worth considering. I fitted a Home Depot lawn cart with garden tractor front axles and made it 4WS. I bought the axles used on e-bay and innovation take over.......

I've been looking at a Caribou trailer from Yukon Tracks and also thinking about just building one. Thoughts on a trailer with springs vs. un sprung for use in the woods?

Sundance

Mine works great
3ftx7ft no load on the atv's irs.

CIMG0641.jpg

I've been looking at a Caribou trailer from Yukon Tracks and also thinking about just building one. Thoughts on a trailer with springs vs. un sprung for use in the woods?

Sundance

I don't think you need springs on a trailer that is intended for hauling firewood out of the woods. In fact, I think you are better off without springs. A trailer with solid suspension won't squat down when loaded. If you have some long stuff sticking out the back, a high-riding trailer is more likely to avoid hitting the ground when going through dips.

I don't think you need springs on a trailer that is intended for hauling firewood out of the woods. In fact, I think you are better off without springs. A trailer with solid suspension won't squat down when loaded. If you have some long stuff sticking out the back, a high-riding trailer is more likely to avoid hitting the ground when going through dips.

I'm thinking in the opposite direction. If the wheels can articulate a bit, there's less stress on the structure & frame. I suppose it also depends on what type of terrain you will be negotiating. I tow mine through the woods and it has been able to walk over logs (maybe 10" dia.). I need to do more testing and tweaking, but so far so good........

My cart is probably smaller than you want, but here's a pic that shows how much in can articulate. The rear tire is almost 12" off the ground while the other 3 are still planted....

If you wan to use a 2 wheel drive quad to tow dont get a chain drive. Get one with a drive shaft the amount of extra torque is amazing. I have 2 running quads and a few that are being restored. My 2 runners are both 1980s suzuki lt230s one is chain drive and the other has a driveshaft and low range, they both have the auto clutch. The one with a driveshaft can do almost anything, I have pulled my brothers jeep out of a mudhole with it, and this is a 230. One other thing to remember is if it has the auto clutch to tow in low gears otherwise you will be replacing the auto clutch alot.

If you wan to use a 2 wheel drive quad to tow dont get a chain drive. Get one with a drive shaft the amount of extra torque is amazing. I have 2 running quads and a few that are being restored. My 2 runners are both 1980s suzuki lt230s one is chain drive and the other has a driveshaft and low range, they both have the auto clutch. The one with a driveshaft can do almost anything, I have pulled my brothers jeep out of a mudhole with it, and this is a 230. One other thing to remember is if it has the auto clutch to tow in low gears otherwise you will be replacing the auto clutch alot.

Less maintenance the better. Suzuki has a 2wd utility 250 shaft drive that I have had a lot of time on, someday ill get one. there a lot of fun for a small quad.

Polaris sucks don't get one. Can am is good but i don't like there 4x4 system. Grizzly is all inline, no ball joints, power steering, diff lock, no belt slip or ware, belt is 2 years old and looks brand new. Try that with a Polaris HA.

Less maintenance the better. Suzuki has a 2wd utility 250 shaft drive that I have had a lot of time on, someday ill get one. there a lot of fun for a small quad.

Polaris sucks don't get one. Can am is good but i don't like there 4x4 system. Grizzly is all inline, no ball joints, power steering, diff lock, no belt slip or ware, belt is 2 years old and looks brand new. Try that with a Polaris HA.

I love suzuki quads, the shaft drives have so much low end to, I even plow with my shaft drive 230. I agree with you on polaris they suck really bad. One of my buddys has a grizzly 450 (somewhat like yours). He was all into 2 wheel drives but then bought it and loves it, I have driven it and it is wicked nice. His dad decided to get a 4 wheel drive and bought a polaris nothing but problems, he sold it and bought a yamaha.

personally I kinda like 2 wheel drive quads, just so much fun

I love suzuki quads, the shaft drives have so much low end to, I even plow with my shaft drive 230. I agree with you on polaris they suck really bad. One of my buddys has a grizzly 450 (somewhat like yours). He was all into 2 wheel drives but then bought it and loves it, I have driven it and it is wicked nice. His dad decided to get a 4 wheel drive and bought a polaris nothing but problems, he sold it and bought a yamaha.

personally I kinda like 2 wheel drive quads, just so much fun

Mines a 700, more power then I need but I used to ride it for fun. Iv had raptors, ltz, 400ex etc... the 4x4 is a must for working what is its primary job now.

So, tell me why Polaris sucks again? Because you 2 dont have one? I have had 3 Polaris Sportsmans in 500, then 500HO, now 800. Never had a problem (other than an electrical issue on the oldest 500) with any of them. Yeah, I have blown out a couple CV joints...but i expect to for the kind of riding i do. It has the best AWD system and suspension in the industry. Can Ams are screamers, and I like Yamis and Suzukis. Dont bash a brand you have no experience with. Any of the top mfgrs are making good quads in the big-bore utility catagory. Your posts that Polaris sucks is really irritating as you state no reason why. I am not bashing a Yamaha or Suzuki because i have seen problems on a Grizz and a King Quad. Polaris was the first Utility with automatic trans and IRS and it revolutionized the industry. Yamaha was the first out with power steering and it is the next wave. Polaris Sportsman has been the number 1 selling Utility quad for quite a few years, and they are still putting out new ground breaking machines every year. Problems happen on all quads when you ride these things hard. Dont brand bash if you dont know.

I have a old suzuki King Quad, rear independant suspension, 4x4, manual gears. Paid maybe $1300 for it. They hold up really well and you can work them hard. Trailer is a wrecked pontoon trailer that the back end was cut off of and axles moved forward. 3500# capacity axle. Its only about 4x6 now. I dont have sides on it, just stack em up and strap em down. The set up gets a lot of wood moved. Paid $600 for that.
I also have a a Isuzu rodeo. 6 cylinder motor, 4wd, heat, radio, locks in case I want to leave the saw in there. Paid $500 for it, and I can move a LOT more wood with that beast than the quad. Its not that much bigger in the woods. I originally wanted a tracker for size, but it worked out fine. If you want to go cheap, theres a lot better options out there than a quad. MAybe not as much fun though....

Back