To MOD or Not To MOD?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would be the devil :angry: on your lefty shoulder. MOD IT. Then go race it, you live in Washington so there are allot of races around you. Then you will have a sick new hobby that is a lot of fun.:rockn:

The new EPA style mufflers really restrict a saw's performance. Here are two $30-40 projects I did this year: I changed my Stihl 440 to a factory dual port, and my Husky 359 to a non-EPA muffler (Baileys) . A very noticeable improvement in both. These are just easy, low cost, and 5 minute, type of improvements. And if you want to step up a notch in performance, the pro's can do a lot more.
bob

BC - can you elaborate a little more on where you found the 359 non-EPA muffler at Bailey's? Do you know if they also have one to fit a 350? Thanks!

Part# 503 91 75-03 . If you have their new 2007 catalog, look at page 33.

The non EPA is as bad as the other. Contact someone and get your muffler modded.

Fred

I am seeking input from all of you guys.

I'm terribly conflicted whether or not to modify my 361. I don't race at all and I'm not a logger or arborist either.

I've seen a few guys here that have modded their saws and seem satisfied with the end results but can the "average cord-cutter" be justified spending money to modify an already exceptional saw beyond a decent muffler mod?

What are the risks and benefits? Is anyone else out there a cord-cutter that like me is considering a modded saw?

I cut alot of wood, most of which I keep myself while some gets sold off.

Please advise me as I would love hear all your opinions and I definately need to shoot either the devil or angel on my shoulder!!!

Thanks in advance!

Hey Livewire,
Did you ever get that muffler modified yet ?

Hey Livewire,
Did you ever get that muffler modified yet ?

AAAAhh!!!!!!!!!

No! Not yet! I have to stop using it long enough to pull it apart and try my hand at brazing! It's been a 'slow go' but it'll get there!

Thanks for the harassment, Kev!:sword:

Im a homeowner that just cuts his own wood, and looks for excuses to use his saws, and I have modded both of my used saws. Love the performance. Still chasin a few bugs on the 026, but I love the difference. Im lookin at buying a new or slightly used 361, and I will mod it soon after acquiring it

if you know anything about saws, mod it

Just mod it

The EPA has these saws running so lean and so restricted it is a wonder they last a month. Just look at the old saws that would not die, Homelite super XL and stihl 036. Their muffler was pretty much a beer can cut in half. My dads super Xl spit so much smoke from running rich he rid half of West Virgina of misketers. He put that saw thru hell and it still wont die.

In short a proper muffler mod and carb adjust gives you more power, and longer saw life. Therefore there is no reason not to do it other than noise. And as far as noise goes you should be wearing ear protection anyway.

I am tired of hearing "wait till the warranty is off", I think it is safe to say that if you run your choked down leaned out EPA friendly saw for 1 year its like putting 3 to 5 years on the same non restricted properly lubricated engine. Look at EPA restrictions like cancer, you would not wait a year to start treatment would ya?

Cost is 0 for a muffler mod and carb adjust if you do it your self so what are you waiting for.

Just mod it

The EPA has these saws running so lean and so restricted it is a wonder they last a month. Just look at the old saws that would not die, Homelite super XL and stihl 036. Their muffler was pretty much a beer can cut in half. My dads super Xl spit so much smoke from running rich he rid half of West Virgina of misketers. He put that saw thru hell and it still wont die.

In short a proper muffler mod and carb adjust gives you more power, and longer saw life. Therefore there is no reason not to do it other than noise. And as far as noise goes you should be wearing ear protection anyway.

I am tired of hearing "wait till the warranty is off", I think it is safe to say that if you run your choked down leaned out EPA friendly saw for 1 year its like putting 3 to 5 years on the same non restricted properly lubricated engine. Look at EPA restrictions like cancer, you would not wait a year to start treatment would ya?

Cost is 0 for a muffler mod and carb adjust if you do it your self so what are you waiting for.

Good sound advice there....

...but I have to tell you this thread is a couple months old already!

I've decided to open the muffler up per Lakeside53's detailed instructions!

(If anyone hasn't read it yet, go here) http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=33528&highlight=361+muffler+mod

To qoute someone elses post somewhere in here, "...I just want to get back what the EPA has taken away."

YEEEE HAAAWWWWWWW!

Last edited:
Good sound advice there....

...but I have to tell you this thread is a couple months old already!

I've decided to open the muffler up per Lakeside53's detailed instructions!

To qoute someone elses post somewhere in here, "...I just want to get back what the EPA has taken away."

YEEEE HAAAWWWWWWW!

You can not go wrong following lake's advice.

As far as the EPA quote, I could not say it better myself.

Kind words guys, but they are just "suggestions"... there are other ways to accomplish the same end, and if you do something different, post it on AS!!!

question

Hey i have a 361 and i was wondering what would happen if i just took out the screen in the muffler i tried it last night and you can hear a big difference. Do any of yall think that will hurt anything?

Hey i have a 361 and i was wondering what would happen if i just took out the screen in the muffler i tried it last night and you can hear a big difference. Do any of yall think that will hurt anything?

I do not run screens in any of my saws as they restrict the exhaust too much. It will not hurt anything as long as nothing gets in the cylinder which is very rare, for years and years saws did not even come with screens. If you plan on dragging your saw down a gravel road or burning it under a pile of stone dust, leave the screen in the muffler. :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:
The screen is meant to stop sparks so if you are cutting in a real dry area like the pine forest out west you may want to use it so as not so start a big fire. :angry2:
You do have to be careful that removing the screen does not allow you to run above maximum RPMs, you may need to richen up the (H) adjustment. Removing the screen is free Horse Power plus a cooler saw.

In short, Its against the law in some places and you may need to
rich'en up your carb........go to the search button at the top of page
use the advance search........type in screen.....titles only.....
you will have allot of info.

I've read most of the blog but one thought. Have you run a modded saw? You might want to hook up with someone who has one. Me I'd go with muff mod. The benefits are noticeable, and I wear ear plugs and ear muffs so the noise doesn't bother me...bob

Back