Today's Job...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never run a 385 but I know Al has ported and fitted a 390 top end to his 385 and said similar porting to the 390 top end didn't yield the same results as the 385. It would seem that the 385 may have more left in the tank as far as mods go than the 390. The 288's have a good reputation though for sure.

No I haven't changed the durations whatsoever as yet Matt. I did a little widening and port matched it then assembled it for the run in period to see where it's at.

Cool cutting board Matt! Agreed 390 bad ass! 385 too. Parrisw cool video man, been at the end of the rope many times. Fall em too, no climbing for me LOL! My two good buddy's climb. I love this thread!

I've never run a 385 but I know Al has ported and fitted a 390 top end to his 385 and said similar porting to the 390 top end didn't yield the same results as the 385. It would seem that the 385 may have more left in the tank as far as mods go than the 390. The 288's have a good reputation though for sure.

This last 390 I did changed that for me. I always thought the same before. I'm now getting results on a 390 like I have with a 385, probably more.

Just a quick one gents. I made up an impromptu chopping board the other night and have been wiping it with olive oil. Has come up nice making me even more angry that I didn't mill that log. Hand planed and sanded so a bit wobbley on the flat benchtop. I'm in the market for a decent thicknesser now! Some may say wobbley is dodgey craftmanship, I say it's got character ;)

131020111702.jpg

I would like to hear from others, I don't use olive oil it goes rancid

Matt router a slot through the middle of the end grain on the two ends of the cutting board you can inlay some wood to stop the end s from splitting, I like to use a contrasting colour.

Yes, oh boy do I ever know that! I run into people all the time working on cars for a living, that think they know what they are talking about.

Here is my friend up a tree, I'm the guy at the end of the rope!

He taught me how to climb too. Its funny, I actually feel more comfortable climbing a tree to take it down, then actually felling one.

He looks like a midget :D

Aldi have hardwood chopping boards for $25 that don't wobble Matt! :D

Yes. Thankyou Alistair for your wise, yet seemingly sarcastic little comment...

I would like to hear from others, I don't use olive oil it goes rancid

Matt router a slot through the middle of the end grain on the two ends of the cutting board you can inlay some wood to stop the end s from splitting, I like to use a contrasting colour.

I'm not sure what oil to use but any that tend to oxidise are the ones to avoid. This whole shebang took about 25 minutes so I'm not getting too excited about it. My missus wanted a chopping board so I snuck down the shed and before she knew it I presented her with one. Despite being cracked, wobbley, and potentially rancid in a few weeks bulk Brownie points were had. Gotta get 'em while ya can...

the best thing for putting a finish on chopping boards is parafin as its non reactive and doesnt go rancid. but most oil coatings will wash off after a few uses leaving the timber bare which is fine

heres a couple of quick ones i knocked up last year, not sure what the timber is( if anyone knows please tell) but it was just pieces of a small log we were gonna use for firewood at tallarook vic, once i saw the grain i freehanded a few small boards. ive included raw pics and pics after given a couple of coats of parafin

I would like to hear from others, I don't use olive oil it goes rancid.

My wife, who would know about these things, buys a clear food-safe mineral oil for her cutting boards. I don't know where she buys it, but the bottle says "butcher block oil".

View attachment 203410View attachment 203411 I posted thes on the Growing up in the redwood's thread, but wanted to share em with you brother's! A falling job from 1986. My good friend Will. I moved to Cazadero in 1987 when we first met. I learned alot about saws, and running dog's from him. His two sons grew up to be two of my best friends, and we have done alot together. Tree work as well. The boy in the pic is Brian he moved to Oregon, and became on heck of a timber faller. His older brother John still live's near me, and we still do alot together. Tree work, and running dogs.

My wife, who would know about these things, buys a clear food-safe mineral oil for her cutting boards. I don't know where she buys it, but the bottle says "butcher block oil".

I replaced my wife's old cutting board with a piece of oak treated with mineral oil and it has worked fine for her, going on several years now.

I almost signed up for it. But I wanted to spend some time in Europe before I got too old ;) So, instead, I spent the 10G's and ended up in Dorset.

I hadn't cut a lot of hardwoods in a long time. So, I had a bit of a learning curve here when I first started. You really can't get too fancy with your hardwood cuts. And unlike most tall firs that tend to lazily let go, I have had a few large Ashes that were in a huge hurry for a jump and pulled a LOT of fiber. Er.. Fibre. ;)

Taking down an Ash - YouTube go to 0:30

I am cutting thin on the far side so she'll come more towards the camera to save a fence. The backtrack is there because the boss told us to put it there when the land management asked us to put that particular ash down - she really wasn't needed. Well, it works, but look at all that cracking and pulling and you can hear the ash do a lot of complaining. A Fir would have held on longer and not pulled any fiber at all. That Ash has a 4' crack in it. It's only gonna end up as firewood and maybe axe handles, but it still doesn't look good when ya do that.

WYK

If I had the money and time I'd love to have a crack at the BC course - whether I passed or not I'm sure I'd learn more than any other course in the world.

Yeah that's a lot of coin. In all honesty I'm mainly doing my felling courses for the qualifications. Although I've learnt a few things along the way most of it is outlined in forestry manuals etc and is standard practice. The main thing I've learnt is that softwoods and hardwoods are different in the way they need to be cut and the things you can do to alter their fall. A softwood's hinge will hang on, allowing fancier cuts like Swinging Dutchmans etc. If you try the same cuts on our hardwoods they'll shear clean off and go where they want anyway. I rate myself as a pretty good chopper in those Casuarinas I've been felling however I looked VERY average when I started dropping the Pines on these courses. Due to the speed that my saws were going through the softer wood my cuts were getting away from me as I wasn't paying enough attention. It's good to be able to work with mates like yours who know what they're doing. Unfortunately there are a lot of guys around who think they know what they're doing and other gullible people unfortunately believe them - you just have to surf Youtube.

Back again gents.
Haven't been doing a hell of a lot of chainsaw work lately as I've been flat out so any spare time has been spent around the house.
I had a client of mine ask me yesterday to knock over an "Athol Pine" for him so I decided to do it after work before sunset. I got there just after 6pm. Turns out his "Athol Pine" was actually a Redgum. I asked why he'd said it was a Pine and it was because he thought it would be illegal to fell (he's a bit of a joker this guy). In reality it wasn't as the row of Redgums here was planted by the original land owner after the 1956 flood so not naturally occurring - in our area they are therefore legal to fell.
The worst part was that I expected a crappy small Athol Pine and only brought the little 241C and 7900 with 20" bar. If I'd have sighted the tree prior I'd have brought the 390XP and 32" bar.
He only wanted one half dropped as a winegrape irrigation sensor of his was having trouble sending it's signal back to the base station at his house - it's line of sight was getting blocked by this tree.
It was on a fair slope so I cut down the middle between the two halves then felled it as per normal with a plunging backcut. Somewhere in the middle I hit something nasty and the near new RSC went off the cut immediately with some pretty funky cutter damage. I swapped to some Carlton A1-EP semi chisel and had another go at it with no issues. Once it started to move I was out of there as there was a lot of interlocked branches in the canopy. Those who have worked or spent a lot of time around Redgums will know that these things drop big, heavy branches at the drop of a hat. A houseboat on the river in my region was completely written off a year or two ago with a load of Netballers on it enjoying their end of year trip when a massive branch fell on the front of the boat. Luckily they were out the back! It is well known in our area (and others) that in hot weather you DO NOT camp, park your car, or sit under Redgums. As the sap expands with the hot weather they will just shed big limbs like there is no tomorrow. While out fishing on the Murray River here in my boat I've seen limbs up to 3' in diameter just crash to the ground. Redgums don't often get very tall, maybe 100' at the most, but they do have some super fat trunks and big limbs.
Anyway it went where I wanted (which was pretty easy) and then I got stuck into cutting it up a bit with the little 241C Babytronic. This is an awesome little saw. This grower also has a big loader with a 5 tonne lift capacity so the log that was left will be milled later. The part of the trunk I cut off was probably about 2' in diameter, maybe slightly larger...

H1020002.jpg

H1020003.jpg

H1020004.jpg

And a nice sunset...

H1020006.jpg

Plus the little 241 video...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LUtGaleuKB4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This little saw is awesome and has appealed to me instantly, unlike the MS261 I owned which I gave a number of chances but sold it in the end.

The other part of my "Today's Job" (ie: my real job) is looking for and recommending controls for little bastards like these...

Katydid nymphs that damage young citrus fruitlets. These have been going nuts over the last few weeks and causing big issues and lots of damage...

011120111750.jpg

And native Spined Citrus Bug nymphs in Lemons. They stick their proboscis into the fruit to feed on it so it looks fine on the outside but goes brown on the inside. They love Lemons...

011120111753.jpg

Exciting stuff huh? :D

Last edited:
[snip]

Once it started to move I was out of there as there was a lot of interlocked branches in the canopy. Those who have worked or spent a lot of time around Redgums will know that these things will drop big, heavy branches at the drop of a hat. A houseboat on the river in my region was completely written off a year or two ago with a load of Netballers on it enjoying their end of year trip when a massive branch fell on the front of the boat. Luckily they were out the back! It is well known in our area (and others) that in hot weather you DO NOT camp, park your car, or sit under Redgums. As the sap expands with the hot weather they will just shed big limbs like there is no tomorrow. While out fishing on the Murray River here in my boat I've seen limbs up to 3' in diameter just crash to the ground. Redgums don't often get very tall, maybe 100' at the most, but the do have some super fat trunks and big limbs.
Anyway it went where I wanted (which was pretty easy) and then I got stuck into cutting it up a bit with the little 241C Babytronic. This is an awesome little saw. This grower also has a big loader with a 5 tonne lift capacity so the log that was left will be milled later. The part of the trunk I cut off was probably about 2' in diameter, maybe slightly larger...

Those redgums can be dangerous for sure, back went I was working in SA one of the guys parked a tractor under a nice big red gum and not long after that it dropped a 2' branch on the tractor and trailer. The panels on the tractor needed replacing but the trailer was flat... even the rims where squashed. Its a wonder OH&S hasn't gone around and put "caution falling objects" signs on all those trees... that should keep them busy for long enough and out of our hair :msp_biggrin:

The baby-M is going well to, amazing how well it cuts that hardwood. I would like to see how it compares to your 353, probably not as snappy but close I would think.

Those redgums can be dangerous for sure, back went I was working in SA one of the guys parked a tractor under a nice big red gum and not long after that it dropped a 2' branch on the tractor and trailer. The panels on the tractor needed replacing but the trailer was flat... even the rims where squashed. Its a wonder OH&S hasn't gone around and put "caution falling objects" signs on all those trees... that should keep them busy for long enough and out of our hair :msp_biggrin:

The baby-M is going well to, amazing how well it cuts that hardwood. I would like to see how it compares to your 353, probably not as snappy but close I would think.

Yeah they drop a lot of limbs for sure. Below the other Redgums at this guy's place lay a truckload of good wood that had simply fallen out of the canopy over just the last few years.

I agree on the 241 vs. my 353. My 353 has been muffler modded and that made a fair bit of difference and stock I reckon it'd give a it a good run for sure, probably beat it actually.
Put it this way, I do not regret selling the 261 at all. I still miss my 5100-S though, I should have kept that thing in hindsight :(

Latest posts

Back