Today's Job...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matt, when dry it's as light as Balsa.

Makes good kindling, burns easily and HOT.

Yeah I thought that would be the case mate. Some of the dead parts were certainly lightweight.
I had the oilers wound up on everything and had absolutely no sap issues. Funnily enough the guy's MS250 bar was covered in chewing gum like sap. I remember another member here saying that he'd had sap issues when cutting Peppertrees so I kept that in mind but all good.

I threw some old Ironbark onto the coals tonight and couldn't get it going, so went out and grabbed some Peppercorn I have in the wood pile, placed beside the big lump of Ironbark and a few minutes later off it went.

SWMBO tried to kill herself a few years back by hitting a big branch on an old tree here with the ROPS on the tractor.
It's kept us in firestarter ever since :D

I threw some old Ironbark onto the coals tonight and couldn't get it going, so went out and grabbed some Peppercorn I have in the wood pile, placed beside the big lump of Ironbark and a few minutes later off it went.

SWMBO tried to kill herself a few years back by hitting a big branch on an old tree here with the ROPS on the tractor.
It's kept us in firestarter ever since :D

"Sent from my humpy via clapping sticks"

Bahahahahahahahaha...

Wife's friend from Sydney arrived in Chicago today to stay with us for a couple weeks but unfortunately she didn't bring any news from MCW. So what's going on down there?

Wife's friend from Sydney arrived in Chicago today to stay with us for a couple weeks but unfortunately she didn't bring any news from MCW. So what's going on down there?

Matt doesn't have any time for chainsaws these days....he's too busy changing nappies! :msp_tongue:

I'm 1100km from Sydney. I'm surprised your wife's friend didn't know what I've been up to :D

Matt doesn't have any time for chainsaws these days....he's too busy changing nappies! :msp_tongue:

Actually all going pretty well from a nappy front. I certainly now appreciate the testing, design, and engineering put into the good old Huggies disposable nappy though. Those things can take a hiding.
I'll be back on the saws soon so will get a few more piccys/videos up :)

Last edited:
Back again gentle mens (and ladies?).
Haven't been on the saws much lately and have been suffering mentally because of it!
Anyway, I got a call from the main property manager where I felled the Casuarinas in this thread asking if I could take a look at a few trees for them. They were around an old property manager's house that hasn't been lived in for some time (there are a LOT of properties in this company).
He called me and said there was a Pawlonia that was easy and a large Norfolk Island Pine about 40m tall and 2m thick. Normally when people give estimations such as these they really mean 20m and a 1m trunk. In this case with he wasn't "too" far off the mark. As yet I haven't properly measured the height of the tree but it would be very close to 40m tall (130') and the trunk diameter is just over 55" at about 1m off the ground so a couple of feet off the mark as far as his diameter although it is about 2 meters wide at ground level. It has got a fair bit of canopy mass and has a small amount of weight back over the house. I was asked to assess this tree to gve them a few options. As long as I can get a chain up the tree and attach it to their loader it will be fine (wind permitting). Another thing to watch for with trees like this that have a large canopy is moisture. Recent rainfall in a tree like this can easily add a few tonne to it's total weight.
If a chain and loader was not available I'd be calling a contract climber I know in Melbourne who has bought a lot of gear off me over the years to come and do the job with me being his groundie. In a domestic situation I would be calling this guy up from Melbourne with no questions asked but in this case the house is insured with nobody living in it, I'm insured by the companies' cover, and I have appropriately sized machinery to help.
There was another Norfolk Pine removed right next to this main tree a while ago and the local tree crew used a crane and charged $2500 to remove it. The crane hire was $1000 by itself and by all accounts the whole job was a joke with stuff ups the whole way through. This particular tree was only about half the size of the one I've been asked to fell.
The funniest part is that they want me to fell it straight over the orchard. The particular type of Navel Orange in the neighbouring patch is basically worthless in the current market so no great loss if I smash a few trees. There was even word from the main manager that he doesn't care if I take the house out. I don't really want that on my resume though!
Anyway, a few piccys with videos to come...

The large Norfolk Island Pine...

060720122499.jpg

The crusty Pawlonia...

060720122500.jpg

Plus a Poplar I dropped as well...

070720122503.jpg

Mega crusty trees these things...

070720122506.jpg

The stump (Andrew wins with his pine stump)...

070720122504.jpg

070720122505.jpg

Funniest part with the poplar was that the lady neighbour was out emptying her bin. As I was smacking wedges into it I could see her looking around wondering what the noise was. When it hit the deck it made a fair bit of noise and I saw her nearly fall over in fright. She was about 100m away but it still gave her a shock...

Plus a photo of a Radiata Pine that blew over and took some powerlines down a few months back. The electricity guys trimmed the top out of the tree and fixed the lines. Upon inspection I found it was still just a bit too close for comfort without some extra trimming so I came back the following day and cleaned the balance up a bit with the HT131 pole saw. It was then easy to swing away from the lines (gotta love these softwoods and how easy they are to swing around on the hinge!)...

070720122507.jpg

I took a lot more pictures of this pine and the cleanup but didn't realise at the time that my crappy Nokia phone's camera memory was playing up. A heap of photos weren't saved :(

I also cleaned up a small and scraggly cedar with Wayne's (gmax) Dolmar 6400. I fitted my original Snelling ported 7900 top end to it plus a HD filter kit so decided to give it a run on this tree. It's still running pretty rich until the ring seats properly. I have a video of this uploading too.

Great work matt as usual. Good stuff. You managed to get some time away from the little one to do some tree work.

Thanks mate and I did manage to escape for a few hours. It's all money so handy after having a little tacker :)

Good to see ya getting back on the bike champ,that stump wasnt to bad.:biggrin:

Stump was OK I suppose mate but you have set a lofty standard lately!

First video is a quick walk around the area I have to drop these trees in. Bit easier to explain in a video than a heap of pictures. In all honesty the camera doesn't do the Norfolk Island Pine's size any justice. When you are standing under it there is a fair bit of canopy above your head. It should be fun but whenever you're dropping bigger trees like this where property can get damaged the old butthole does tend to pucker up a tad...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ghOQ0zsayTs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This saw is Wayne's (gmax) Dolmar PS6400. I fitted the original 79cc ported top end to it that I got from Brad Snelling. It's still running too rich but this is fine as I fitted a new ring so it will help to bed it in. It's actually running richer in the video than I would have liked and didn't pick up on the smoke until I watched the video. It let out a squeal in the clutch area towards the end of the video which you can see me checking out. It definately needs new clutch springs and I think that is what the noise was...I hope :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EKp6M2KZ_Bw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last video is a crappy Poplar that they asked me to fell. I trimmed the bottom out with the 200T and I didn't realise till halfway through that there was dirt and other garbage everywhere. By the end the 200T was hardly cutting. It didn't want to start the other month and I started to panic as it's the first time this saw has missed a beat since the dealer replaced the carby. Upon closer inspection the choke rod had popped off so after a quick bend with the pliers and reattaching it all was good.
I felled it with the 390XP into a slight cross wind. I was a bit worried about any back lean so was a bit more cautious than usual, especially with the way I did my backcuts and wedging.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CdqIMMFf4_0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Matt, I hope 6400 hasn't busted another clutch spring, when I first got it I found a busted clutch spring rolling around behind the clutch drum which also snapped
part of the oil pump drive.
It sounds nice though :msp_thumbup:

Matt, I hope 6400 hasn't busted another clutch spring, when I first got it I found a busted clutch spring rolling around behind the clutch drum which also snapped
part of the oil pump drive.
It sounds nice though :msp_thumbup:

You didn't happen to use an old washing machine spring to fix it did you Wayne like that old Mobilco? :D Something definately started squealing in the clutch area so will check it out when I get time. I even had a few new Dolmar stickers here for the clutch cover so jammed one of them on for good measure.
She'll sound even better once it's leaned out a bit mate!

You didn't happen to use an old washing machine spring to fix it did you Wayne like that old Mobilco? :D Something definately started squealing in the clutch area so will check it out when I get time. I even had a few new Dolmar stickers here for the clutch cover so jammed one of them on for good measure.
She'll sound even better once it's leaned out a bit mate!

I was all out of washing machine springs..I used one from a tumble dryer :D.
Thanks for the sticker, Kyle was out of stock of those when I last made an order.

Back