Today's Road Trip

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I took a couple of days off work this week since I didn't get a single weekend home in July...worked in the shop on Monday and made a road trip today. I had some communications and did a little business with a gentleman about a year and a half ago following which he told me about several old shops and Amish dealers in his area (Southern Iowa).

I finally made it a priority and went to see him today. The first stop was fairly modern Stihl shop with a number of older saws put up on the shelves in the back room. They invited us to look and pick through and I came up with a total of 6 saws - D-36, 1-41, Super 44, and a couple of decent Pro Mac 6 saws with the banana handles. A bit of ####ering and they were in the truck. While we were there a customer came in an bought a new string trimmer and had a bit of trouble getting started himself. The staff were busy with other customers so we offered a bit of advice, had a conversation, and after identifying myself as a McCulloch collector gave him a card (he told me he had a couple of old McCulloch's he might be ready to get rid of).

When we stopped for lunch, Stihl customer above gave me a call with another suggestion for a stop today.

First stop after lunch was a bit like a trip back in time to a genuine Amish farm that happened to have a good bit of equipment around. Altogether I acquired three mostly complete saws, a couple of parts saws, and a large McCulloch technical manual.

Last stop was the guy mentioned by Stihl customer, who promptly left work a the elevator to lead us over to his place where I picked up two boxes of chain and a complete, older version of the 10-10.

Mrs. Heimann was quite understanding today and even saved some supper for me when I got home at 7:00 PM.

I will put up some additional photos of a bunch more saws and some of the ingenious work working machines in the Amish shop tomorrow when I get more photos on to the computer. For now, here is the stuff that came home with including the very nice D-36 with barely used 24" bar.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

After supper my daughter-in-law called to see if I was interested in a PM55 for $50, condition unknown, paint missing, I passed for now...

Mark

Last edited:
Nice score. I'd like to be the first to say congratulations and you suck. Lol can't wait to see what else you got. :msp_thumbup:

Congrats on the saws Mark. :cheers:
I hate to think of all the other saws you passed on because they weren't yellow. :msp_ohmy:
Happen to see any Pioneers or 655's?

Several big old Pioneers but no 655's, there was one 525? Additional photos will be up sometime.

Mark

I'd definitely be interested in the PP525 if the price is right and if your in that neck of the woods again.

The last group was from the last stop of the day (Goldie from the elevator in Bloomfield, IA); the Ford/O&R was not for sale...

attachment.php

attachment.php

The clever fellow in the shade is George Fountain. George bought a couple of carburetors from me 1-1/2 years ago and located the other stops for me today.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mark

I have the same story from several different folk concerning the Ford / O&R chainsaw.

Ford (tractors) had a promotion; when you bought a tractor they gave you the chainsaw. The O&R saws proved to be so unreliable that many customers threated to bring the tractors back. Some (many?) dealers went out and bought replacement saws (not Ford branded O&R) to keep their customers happy and keep the tractors sold.

If it is not the truth, it is still a good story...

Mark

I have the same story from several different folk concerning the Ford / O&R chainsaw.

Ford (tractors) had a promotion; when you bought a tractor they gave you the chainsaw. The O&R saws proved to be so unreliable that many customers threated to bring the tractors back. Some (many?) dealers went out and bought replacement saws (not Ford branded O&R) to keep their customers happy and keep the tractors sold.

If it is not the truth, it is still a good story...

Mark

An now.............................tractor collectors pay crazy money for those same saws on feebay. A fellow would be wise to pick those up (for flippin') whenever one in nice cosmetic shape comes up for a bargain price. They're often in good cosmetic shape, as they were seldom actually used (instead spending decades on the shelf).

Glad you dug up some stuff Mark.

Just drove back from Brainerd MN and stopped several times along the way to try and dig through some bone yards at small engine shops etc. and came up with nothing. I did see some stuff as a few people let me dig through their piles of stuff but nothing stood out at all and space was limited as we were on a family vaction so I needed to be carefull if I were to bring something home:msp_ohmy:

I did get some possible leads though and tripped over a place that had a lot of stihls but they were asking a pretty penny for the used ones. But I wasn't looking for anything running.

Found one more in a box, I had forgotten that this one came home with me. Echo CS-452 VL. What you see is what you get, if interested it can be yours for the shipping cost.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

It has reasonable compression from what I can gather turning it by hand, no way to test for spark.

Mark

Back