tools needed to tune earthquake chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerdoug

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I went to turn the "H" screw back out and realized that I need a special tool to do this. I have 2 earthquake saws and both are the same. What tool do you use?

P.s. Saw starts fine, but will bog down when you hit the throttle. Both saws act the same. I was told that the H screw is turned in too far and needs to come out a little.

Thank you for any insight you may have on this.

A hammer?

Probably some special type of screw. You could probably just open it up to get to the screws and cut a straight slot across the screws with a thin dremmel disc.

And if it bogs down when you hit throttle you probably have problems on the L side, but you should do a complete anyways.

Check out the "Dissecting the Earthquake chainsaw" thread on here. Will tell you how to adjust them.

58 pages that don't discuss this topic

Check out the "Dissecting the Earthquake chainsaw" thread on here. Will tell you how to adjust them.

This thread has 58 pages, but does not discuss this topic, so that is why I needed to start a new thread.

take the carb off,, take a dremel with a thin cut metal cutting disk and notch the end of it,, you don't even need to take the 2 needles out,, you will cut the carb housing but it won't hurt it

This thread has 58 pages, but does not discuss this topic, so that is why I needed to start a new thread.

Some have slotted screws, some splined, some D and some double D. If you don't have the exact tool you can do a couple of different things.

1- Use needle nose pliers to get each screw out, slot it with a Dremel cutting wheel, re-install to have a slotted screw.

2- Use a piece of automotive brake line (steel) and push it over the tip of one jaw on a pair of needle nose pliers, then form it to the shape of the pliers. This will create a "D" profile. It may take more than one attempt to get the right size of brake line.

3- Buy the double D tool and be able to adjust only double D screws.

4- Buy the single D tool and be able to adjust both single and double D screws. (My preferred option.)

5- If all else fails, you can use a cutting wheel on a Dremel to cut a slot in the screw while it is still in place. You will also cut the carburetor body, but it won't hurt anything.

Someone in the thread suggested several times to make one from a piece of car brake line just smack one side with a hammer and then stuff it on. you can bend the other end for a handle.

Not sure about the Earthquack saws but I recently bought a spline, double D and singe D tool from a local dealer. Sure makes life easier having the right tool.

Easiest way to make the tool is to take a piece of steel brake line and thin it a bit on a bench grinder, insert one leg of a pair of needle nose pliers in the thinned portion and squeeze it to shape in a vise, the steel will form to the "D" shape of the plier point and your tool is done.

take the carb off,, take a dremel with a thin cut metal cutting disk and notch the end of it,, you don't even need to take the 2 needles out,, you will cut the carb housing but it won't hurt it

That's what I do :msp_smile:

But it sure does bring down the price of a $35 saw to about $33 :jester:

JMO

Back