top 5 must have saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are the saws that I that I would say need to be in a collection not so much saws to run all the time for regular cutting

4-POULAN 245A 74cc and only 13lbs...a bench mark to this day as far as I'm concerned.

And another TRUTH. :)

245A was my first saw and a very fine one.

I make it a practice to only recommend from personal experience, so my recommendations are:

1. Stihl ms200t
2. Poulan 361
3. Husqvarna 435
4. TBD
5. TBD

I'll fill in 4 and 5 once I've tried more saws. :D

I'm currently not recommending Homelite Pro (now Ryobi), but that may change once my carb rebuild kit comes in. :hmm3grin2orange:

HF

Last edited:
A nice saw, but disappointing in power, when compared to a 4200.

The 4200 powerhead is 3 lbs and small change heavier than the 245a. I've never run one though to compare, although I do have a 4000 now. Did you possibly mean a different saw?

The 4200 powerhead is 3 lbs and small change heavier than the 245a. I've never run one though to compare, although I do have a 4000 now. Did you possibly mean a different saw?

I'm just comparing cc size from the same manufacturer. I was quite proud of my 245 until I ran a 4200. I immediately knew I had to have a 5200, with just more of the same goodness.

A nice saw, but disappointing in power, when compared to a 4200.

The 245 is a much older design which I'm sure you already know and it was made by poulan to compete with saws of its era which it did very well. It was poulans cream of the crop on this design being the largest cc of the design weighing in at just over 13lbs.

The 4200 is a GREAT saw but it is a newer design and is only 69cc weighing over 16lbs which has been surpassed by many companies. Also it was the smallest cc on its design with 77cc and 85cc being available. This is why I would have walked right by the 69cc saw and bought the 85cc saw which offered more power with the same weight. Why? Because I am a chainsaw junkie like the rest of us and we buy the higher powered saw with the same weight...thats what we do right?:msp_confused: Then we have have a guy like you for example port it to make it have yet even more power. ;)Now why would I list a saw on the top five most desirable saws list that is under powered compared to it's bigger brother from the start? Notice the bigger brothers are listed in very high reguards on my list.;)

Once again the 4200 and 245 are not comparable saws IMO.

My list would be a fairly basic one, in chronologic order - not order of preference;

MS 361W (Euro)

372xpg

NE346xpg

560xpg

Maybe 550xpg - maybe.....

I have no use for a saw more than 70cc+, and barely that - but that doesn't keep me from "dreaming" about a ported + more (by my brother) 390xp/2188....

T540, 550, 372, 390, and an extra 550.

I'm just comparing cc size from the same manufacturer. I was quite proud of my 245 until I ran a 4200. I immediately knew I had to have a 5200, with just more of the same goodness.

That's cool, just askin'..I'm still impressed as heck with my 245a. If there were still a lot of new parts for them, I wouldn't have bothered looking for a more modern 70 cc saw.

Ya, I keep my eyes open for any larger of the upright cylinder countervibe saws. The 4000 is the largest I have been able to snag though, and unfortunately it has two cylinder fins broken off up at the sparkplug area. I took a chance mailorder on that one, it runs and was cheap, oh well, ain't complaining too bad.

My list would be a fairly basic one, in chronologic order - not order of preference;

MS 361W (Euro)

372xpg

NE346xpg

560xpg

Maybe 550xpg - maybe.....

I have no use for a saw more than 70cc+, and barely that - but that doesn't keep me from "dreaming" about a ported + more (by my brother) 390xp/2188....

what is a xpg model 372 ?

I would be very happy with three

Proper red and black color scheme and more comfortable (for me) handle design.

Anything else would just be for fun, so who knows?

660/066

or something with autotune, 562xp perhaps, just to check out the new technology

I'm thinking we are more ground based then tree work fans...

MS 200 t (starts and ends there in a tree or bucket)
Silky Sugoi ( when the 200t jumped out of the bucket)
Ht 101 ( when the bucket or climbing gear got lost in other truck)
660(x2 at least)

Who in their right mind would only have 5 gotta have saws anyway ????

Latest posts

Back