top 5 must have saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ran my MS660 yesterday with a 28" bar on it and I just smile the whole time. Mine only has a muffler mod. I am thinking this fall it needs to be sent off for some port work:msp_ohmy:

What saw to get?

Wow!....I'm just a backyard/firewood guy...I only have my recently MM'd MS 310...Geez, I'm ashamed that I know (or can afford), so little!...Sigh!...Can I get a grant here?...

Last edited:
Wow!....I'm just a backyard/firewood guy...I only have my recently MM'd MS 310...Geez, I'm ashamed that I know (or can afford), so little!...Sigh!...Can I get a grant here?...

Yes you can get a grant type in chainsaw in craigslist search box and you will find one there:hmm3grin2orange:

Don't feel bad, all I have is my 440, but it does everything I need it to and it makes my arms big and strong.....:D

Here's my .02

50cc - 346 ex pee
60cc - Motorsägen 361
70cc - The Ledgend - The Great Bambino - The Ghengis Kahn of Chainsaws - THE 044!!
80cc - 064
90cc - 066 Red Light
100cc - Eh... I cant pack em that big anyways :laugh:

Here's my .02

50cc - 346 ex pee
60cc - Motorsägen 361
70cc - The Ledgend - The Great Bambino - The Ghengis Kahn of Chainsaws - THE 044!!
80cc - 064
90cc - 066 Red Light

wrong

it should read

50cc - 044
60cc - 044
70cc - 044
80cc - 044
90cc - 044
100cc -044

:monkey:

In all transparency, must say I am a little biased to this list.

:embarrassed3:

1. 460
2. 261/346
3. 660
4. 200/201T
5. Loaner saw, mine happens to be a Homelite XL at the moment.

If we are considering pole pruners in this list, I would replace for #5...the neighbors will have to be on their own.

Vibration, Vibration, Vibration...

Broken /cracked mufflers and brackets...

Stipped out holes on the front of the crancase where the muffler bracket attaches...

Stripped out bark spike bolt holes....

Stipped out top cover screws...

Worn out air filter cover snap clips...

Broken tank mounts...

Stripped out tank mounts...

More will come to me I am sure....

And all of these complaints are from vibration...

What about pullstart systems? That is what has been a problem on my 288 and 3120! And what about the mix and match bolt and screw sizes?

Last edited:
Blah Blah Blah... Everyone is quick to shout their favorite saws. Read the question and realize he's looking for a 3 saw plan. :msp_sneaky:

What kind of cutting do you do? To match a 3 saw plan with the cutter we need to know what kind of wood you cut and how big it is. Sorry but any top handle is probably not going to make the cut for a 3 saw plan... And the average wood cutter DOES NOT NEED a 90+cc chainsaw. I said NEED, doesn't mean you won't want one... In all reality having a 90+cc saws are for 45in+ diameter wood. The average wood cutter would have a 90cc saw sit on the shelf and not be used due to weight and not cutting wood big enough. There is a big difference between a good 3 saw plan and what everyone wants to own.

I'm with a shorter version of Neal's list... Strike red ones off the list...

Not counting lots of exotic, hard to find, don't want to run'em if you have'em, kinds of saws-

MS200 or 020AVEQ (best in class- not even open for debate)
346NE
036 or 262 (your choice, one's a little lighter, the other is a little stronger)
7900 (considerably stronger than a 044 or 372 without much weight penalty)
125 (speaks for itself, but will do anything a 394/5 or 066 will do and then a lot more)

50cc - 60cc - 80cc

50cc-16in bar
026/ms260/261 (if you want interchangable bars with the 361)
346xp if you want the best 50cc saw...

60cc -20in bar
You already have a great one 361

80cc - 24in and 32in-36in bar
7900 Dolmar (or get a 6401/6421 and put a 79cc top end and HD air filter on it) (also maybe get it ported)

You will use the snot out of all three of these saws day in and out and none of them will sit un-used on a 3 saw plan.

Last edited:
  1. Jonsered 2172 with heated handles
  2. Stihl MS261-16-.375/.050
  3. MS200T-14
  4. MS660-36
  5. HT131-12 Telescoping Pole Pruner.

If I had to get rid of everything else besides a couple of the West German 12mm 044's I'll keep these five..

With a handheld blower, a rake, rope and some climbing gear . You can handle any tree job within reason.

Just trying to give the OP a reasonable answer to his underlying question...

Who peed in your cheerios?
"Is it necessary for me to drink my own urine? No, but I do it anyway because it's sterile and I like the taste!" Patches O'Houlihan

Here's my .02

50cc - 346 ex pee
60cc - Motorsägen 361
80cc - 064
90cc - 066 Red Light

Well dang Wiggs......you left the M-tronic and autotune saws out. You must not have got the memo.......they are the next generation. :msp_sneaky:

My top five has changed a lot over the last few years......as I see it today.

50cc - This spot has to go to the 346XP. I wanted to throw the 550XP in there but it's not proven itself just yet. I think the 346 will be unseated by the 550 though.

60cc - If Stihl is your favorite grab a MS361. The quad port design makes this the strongest 60cc saw I've built....proven design, very reliable.....smooth spring av too.

The Husky 562XP is a damn fine saw too. The autotune technology makes this saw a very strong runner right outta the box.

If I had to pick between the two........the 562XP is my choice.

70cc - The MS441CRM is hands sown the winner here for me.....period. I would love to see Husky do a auto tune in 70cc though.

80cc - Not really needed........but I'm with Wiggs here. The 064 is a strong runner. I've seen stock 064s lay a smackdown on many a MS660. :laugh: Plus they only weigh a few ounces more than a MS460

90cc - Husqvarna 395XP without a doubt the strongest and smoothest saw in it's class.

100cc - Again......forget about it. Unless you a felling HUGE trees or milling what do you need with a saw that big? Really????

There are other brands out there that are fine saws too. I'm no saws snob that just likes that big two. These are what I see the most of and therefore can speak about with some level of experience.

If you want to be surprised go grab a Echo CS600 that's been tweaked a little.....that's the best value out there right now IMHO.

I am going to catch hell, but here it goes..

1. Stihl MS 200T Mastermind is doing his thing to it as we speak.

2. Echo CS500 P Mastermind did a great job waking this saw up.

3. Echo CS600 P Ported by Snelling, this saw flat kicks butt.

4. Stihl MS460 Bought brand new and ported by Brad, all I can say is WOW !!

5. Echo CST 610 EVL Everyone needs a twin.

These are saws I actually own. Next month I am going to send Randy my mint Husqvarna 266XP for a little wake up call.
My most "must have" saw is a mint condition Stihl 038 Mag. Still looking for one.

The There are other brands out there that are fine saws too. I'm no saws snob that just likes that big two. These are what I see the most of and therefore can speak about with some level of experience.

I was going to say Randy... Not even a shout out for the Dolly? But if you don't see them as much, then you can't comment. :msp_smile:

Back