Top down burning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cliniford

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Could someone explain this to me. Have seen it mentioned a few times but not exactly sure. What are the benefits, how do you set up the wood for top down burning, etc?

From a cold stove, you put your wood in and start the fire on the top instead of the bottom. This obviously does not work if you have a bed of coals in the bottom. I use it all of the time.

What it does for you is starts your fire with less smoke. Less cool smoke means less creosote in the chimney. You also warm up the stove evenly and keeps from overburning. This is when you might have the draft door/ash pan door open. It also make a pile of wood last longer.

wish myth buster did show on this . works great , if you tell someone how it works they think your crazy. to burn top down take your big log's throw them on the bottem just build smaller up .

Thanks guys. I just got done trying this and it works awesome. I think i will be doing it this way from now on!

I have tried the top down method a few times, but prefer the bottom up method. Less fiddling around and no special sizes to contend with.

When i tried this last night i didn't have to change any sizes or anything, just stacked it backwards. Lit it and forgot about it. Worked like a champ. Not saying this would work for everybody as stoves very so much but with mine it was no problem.

Could someone explain this to me. Have seen it mentioned a few times but not exactly sure. What are the benefits, how do you set up the wood for top down burning, etc?

The BIG benefit is the reduction of smoke output. Not everyone appreciates a major point-source of wood-smoke in the neighborhood.

Back in the '70s, a neighbor who we'd set up with a little stove connected into her fireplace (blocked off) would start a fire bottom-up every day at 4:00 pm. Looked like the Queen Mary lighting off a boiler.

Like good little Boy Scouts, we showed her how to go Top-Down. No Mo Smoke. Good for the flue and those downwind. No need to stir up woodstove abolitionists, eh? :eyeroll:

Latest posts

Back