Top reasons not buy a 290 farmboss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotta ask the question because of your signature . . . what HK combat handguns do you own and were they made in the United States? I believe I was told that HK has stateside manufacturing, but I have no idea what is produced there?
I think New Hampshire. I got a laugh and was wondering the same after seeing his signature. Best is an awful strong word.

Some folks do not want a used pro saw. They want a new saw with a 20" blade (yes, that was intentional) and a warranty. They also want to bring it in for service and sharpening. Many times that type of customer needs an entirely new chain due to rocking of the old one. They get green chains, bars, and even (gasp) MotoMix at $65 a case. To 95% of the world, an MS290 is s big saw. If the guy has the coin to spend, why not? A 290 or 455 will walk away from a modern "Homelite" anything, and/or his buddies WoodShark.

Truer words were never spoken! It's funny that when so many folks look at this truth all they can say is that the guy is an idot and they can better educate him. Only if they plan to instantly make him a mechanic (shade-tree, of course) who seems to have nothing better to do than work on used stuff because he has no time/interest/knowledge to repair things. Not everyone is like us.

Just the other day I had a guy call about a CL ad I had for an MS260 Pro. Great running saw in great condition - was asking $275. He asked me a ton of questions about it, and other new Stihl saws he could get from the dealer. I told him everything I could about the new saws he was asking about and I explained to him that for the money he couldn't touch a Stihl saw anywhere close to this one in terms of performance and reliability. He politely explained to me that he would probably pass since it was a used saw. He said if my saw broke down in a month it would cost $100 for almost any repair at a dealer and for that same $100 extra he could get a "decent" new saw with a warrantly. I told him I would be happy to fix it for him if it laid down and he gave me the old "I'll think about it" and I obviously never heard from him again...

The biggest reason is there are way better saws for the same or close money. Steve

Thank you for the informative response. I wasn't complaining about the experience, or singing the praises of the MS260 Pro, although we all know it's a wildly popular saw amongst folks who know exactly what they're doing. My point was that a LOT of people are just leary about used saws and would rather get a new homeowner grade saw with a warranty for the same or more money than a very nice used pro saw. I was making the point because so many of the nay-sayers of homeowner saws scoff at the purchasers of them because they could get a good used pro saw instead.

Maybe you're right and there are "way better" saws for the same money or close, but I sold it that same day for just $15 less than asking price. I came down a little since the purchaser requested a 16" bar instead of the 18" I had on it and I was happy to off-load the short bar & chain. Good saw - good price - quick sale. Opinions from others are great, but the proof is in the puddin'.

Saw Dr. hit the nail on the head and I was reinforcing his point by sharing a pleasant experience I'd had with a potential buyer of one of my saws who likely decided to get a new homeowner instead. He was leaning towards an MS251.

Why start a thread like this about an obsolete model saw? Are you an agent for the Troll? I mean, you may as well post a thread like this about the $50 Chicom Earthquake saws that people are buying up like crazy here? :dizzy:

The 290 was the most popular saw Stihl sold, and for a really long time. So from a marketing perspective it was a huge hit. I ran one for years, and I do not regret running it. They are easy to use and easy to modify, and they hold up over time. I see these saws used more than any other saw by county and road crews here. Yah, there are better saws, but for far more money. That is the same with just about any saw as well. I like my 361s better, but they are not so much better than a 290 that I would not be able to cut wood or sleep because I did not own one. And compared to many saws I used for years previous to the 290, it was miles ahead. It also has some pro features, like a fully adjustable oiler. It can also be easily improved with a 360 clutch drum and rim drive. Poke some holes in the muffler in the right places, and they improve rather well for zero cost.

I have owned/run all of the 1127 saws. Comparing the saws in the series, I like the 310 the best and I still have one. It is the smoothest running of the lot, and with a simple muffler mod they can have the power of a stock 390. The 029 was too underpowered for me, even with a muffler mode. The biggest fault of the 390 is overly high vibration. The 029 and 290 rev lower than the 310 and 390, mainly because they have smaller carbs in them. I have had over a half dozen 026 saws as well. I dunno why you think they are so great, as they do not even have the power of a 290. Compare 3.2 HP < 3.8 HP: 19% more power to the 290. I cannot say that my 026s have held up any better over time than my 290/310s have. The 026 is far easier to modify and work on, but they had a much higher price tag as well. From a new price perspective, I never saw the 026 or 260 as being worth the money. Used, the 026/260s sell for about the same price as a 290s around here, in the $200-300 range. So over time, the 290 has held its value way better than the 026/260 has.

OK, so what' the muzzle velocity on that short barrel? I'd rather see another inch of barrel sticking out of the action to get the slug up to speed. Actually, I'd rather see another two inches of barrel.

Function over appearance, in chainsaws and firearms.

I have not shot my Kimber through a chronograph so I did a little research. The velocity range was listed at 830-1140 for 165-230g bullets. I carry 230 Federal Hydra-shock in my Kimber. In a defensive carry weapon I want reliability, concealabilty over muzzle velocity. The velocity of the .45acp in either the 3,4 or 5 barrel is not fast by any means! The 3" barrel works very well for me. I can conceal it very well and it is a pleasure to shoot. When it comes down to it if I have to use a firearm to protect the lives of my family and myself I know I can trust my 3" Kimber! I'm not sure about this so ill ask...would giving up a couple hundred fps give the bad guy time to get out of the way of my bullet?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

The biggest reason is there are way better saws for the same or close money. Steve
Correct. Actually, you can buy a really good Stihl 029 Super that runs very well for about $150. That's about $300 less than the price of a new MS290. How do I know this? I did it last week and got it shipped to my house for no additional cost. This vintage saw cleaned up very easily and still runs like a bandit.

Correct. Actually, you can buy a really good Stihl 029 Super that runs very well for about $150. That's about $300 less than the price of a new MS290. How do I know this? I did it last week and got it shipped to my house for no additional cost. This vintage saw cleaned up very easily and still runs like a bandit.

Yup. Super is my favorite of the 1127 bunch, with MS 310 right behind. I guess this is no secret, though.

I have not shot my Kimber through a chronograph so I did a little research. The velocity range was listed at 830-1140 for 165-230g bullets. I carry 230 Federal Hydra-shock in my Kimber. In a defensive carry weapon I want reliability, concealabilty over muzzle velocity. The velocity of the .45acp in either the 3,4 or 5 barrel is not fast by any means! The 3" barrel works very well for me. I can conceal it very well and it is a pleasure to shoot. When it comes down to it if I have to use a firearm to protect the lives of my family and myself I know I can trust my 3" Kimber! I'm not sure about this so ill ask...would giving up a couple hundred fps give the bad guy time to get out of the way of my bullet?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

It surprises me that is a 3" barrel. If we are talking about a revolver, the round in the cylinder is not part of the barrel, but I know most people consider the chamber as part of the barrel on a one piece system. Anyway, the .45 is a good round and the figures indicate the round does get up to sufficient speed in the barrel. For your close range self defence concerns it looks like a good choice.

Choice in guns is like the choice in chainsaws, much depends on the intended use.

Gotta ask the question because of your signature . . . what HK combat handguns do you own and were they made in the United States? I believe I was told that HK has stateside manufacturing, but I have no idea what is produced there?

HK45 for sure. Makes sense to have a U.S. factory they are often competitive for U.S. military contracts and private firearms ownership has a lot of restrictions in Europe. German company with U.S. manufacturing seems pretty consistent with his signature, but I get your question. I find their handguns chunky, but reliable. To each his own I guess. Still compared to a 1911 or a nice blued S&W revolver...

Oh and I buy used saws for the same reason I buy used trucks. I can get something way nicer for the same amount of money, let somebody else eat the first few years of depreciation. All machines need periodic maintenance, new or used

290 was my first Stihl, after a 017, still have it, don't run it as much as I used to, got spoiled with the 20" bar on the 460. Decent saw, for most, their entry point into the Stihl market.

Oh and I buy used saws for the same reason I buy used trucks. I can get something way nicer for the same amount of money, let somebody else eat the first few years of depreciation. All machines need periodic maintenance, new or used

I'm happy people like their lil' plastic Stihls.

Makes picking up much better saws for far less money easy!

Latest posts

Back