Tractor log splitter build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motoman3b

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've been wanting to build a smaller splitter for my tractor for some time now, having my large stand alone splitter break down mid winter and kinda being dead in the water for a little bit motivated me to finally start building it!

A little background my tractor is a ingersoll 6018 (not john deere which obviously the previous owner thought it'd be nice to paint it to look like one) You dont see many of these small loader tractors around I got lucky a few years back and picked it up off CL, the case/ingersoll line tractors are all hydraulic driven and all the attachments are ran via hydraulic PTO instead of a mechanical PTO so a log splitter attachment will hook right up and ingersoll actually makes a splitter like the powerhorse or splitfire two way splitters but they are hard to find and often bring $800 or more!

While looking for parts on ebay I came across the cylinder which was manufactured by swisher for dirt cheap its a 3" bore 18" stroke so at this point its the only thing I have bought all the rest of the steel I had laying around or was given to me.

Here's some pics enjoy

IMG_20120506_124550.jpg

Here's a pic of the tractor and some forks I built for it awhile back

IMG_20130303_112049_zps7761ec8a.jpg

IMG_20130307_211839_zps826abdfa.jpg

IMG_20130307_211701_zpsdd374229.jpg

Almost finished gotta put some reinforcement into the rectangle tube for the push plate, now the cylinder mounting isnt my favorite design but it looks like the cylinder has been properly designed for the stresses a rigid non clevis mount may encounter. Plus the relief on my PTO is around 2200 psi so it will only see about 8 tons of pressure. The log opening is 20" and I'm going to chop the beam off behind the cylinder mount and weld up a 2" receiver to mount to my 3pt hitch bar.

Cant wait to finish it and try it out this weekend will post a video of it action!

Nice work. Somebody will probably squawk about the 18" cylinder, but if you split short wood that's all you need. Waitin' on the vid. :)

I like your Case/Ingersoll btw.

Nice work. Somebody will probably squawk about the 18" cylinder, but if you split short wood that's all you need. Waitin' on the vid. :)

I like your Case/Ingersoll btw.

Thanks Mac its one my best investments saved me alot back breaking work! I know 18" is a little small but I made the opening about 20" most the time on my other splitter it barely takes half the stroke to split the log.

My old train of thought with having an OWB with 24" door opening and 4 foot deep was cut as big as I can lift and load but after a few times of smashing my fingers in the door opening and wrestling logs towards the back with a shovel I've found its just easier to cut and split smaller! Not really that much more work and makes stacking in the burner way easier!

Pics are great!! Moving pics are better!! :popcorn:

And if your stove only takes 18", well.....

Last edited:
Looks good! Its a shame to see the green instead of POWER RED.

Looks good!

I hope to get mine made here in the next couple months.

I'd consider adding a larger flat area to the moving part of the ram for stability. Throw some beads of weld on there to prevent slippage or screw a few small screws into it or bolts and use the heads to prevent slippage :)

:rock:

Looks good!

I hope to get mine made here in the next couple months.

I'd consider adding a larger flat area to the moving part of the ram for stability. Throw some beads of weld on there to prevent slippage or screw a few small screws into it or bolts and use the heads to prevent slippage :)

:rock:

Not sure it needs to be larger, that'll just put more stress on the ram and beam. The welds stick out a little bit on it already so slippage doesnt seem to be an issue but I'm ready to add more welds if it does Thanks for the comments!

Back