Tractor splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A 2000 is a very good small tractor. Does it have a gas engine or the Dexter Diesel? If it's in good shape mechanically it sounds like a bargain to me. If you use it a few times a year it's worth that price. I don't know about the transmission but I haven't ever heard anything bad about them. My brother has a select-o-shift on his 4000 and I've never heard him say anything bad about it.

I've got a 2810 and I think it replaced the 2000. I bought it new in 1989 and it's been a great piece of equipment.

I was going to buy a splitter for my tractor quite a few years ago and the guy was honest enough to tell me that my pump would make for very slow cycle times. I bought the unit with the pump and engine and am glad that I did. If I take it somewhere else to split wood I don't need the tractor.

BTW, if you get it how much would you take for that front end loader?

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with the select-o-speed transmission. Makes a nice tractor to rake or bale hay with because of the extra gears. You just need to be aware of what gear your are in when going down a hill. Free wheeling can be a little dangerous with a load behind you.

I have a stand alone splitter and a splitter that I barrowed that runs off the remote hyd. couplers on my john deere 2010 the main thing I see is that the splitter that runs off the tractor is inconvenient , everytime you want to split some wood you have to go get the tractor and hook up the spiltter ,and what if you have a trailer hooked up to the tractor now you have to unhook the trailer and hook the splitter back up , if the splitter is on the tractor and you want to use your trailer same thing back and forth , the stand alone splitter is much handier .

I think I may take the plunge tomarrow and pick this tractor up. I guess the worst that can happen is that I resell it in the future. If nothing else it may be a fun winter project making it pretty.
If I do (and it's still an "IF") I'll post some pics.
If anybody has any opinions on this tractor please post em before I spend beer money. Man I'd hate to lose beer money!:givebeer:

Would you post a picture of how you mounted the splitter onto the boom.
Backhoes have better hydraulics than older and/or smaller tractors.

A diesel at idle does not take a lot of fuel, might even be cheaper than a poorly tuned B&S.

Here is a link to an older post of our Backhoe Splitter...

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=59485

backhoe1_400.jpg

Last edited:
Go get it

$1500 for a ford 2000 with a loader, sounds cheap, why?. Tilling, hogging, grading, cruis'in and booz'in well worth it. Everybody has opinions on 3pt splitters good and bad. Owning a tractor is way better the not owning a tractor. The splitter issue can be sorted out later, the other tasks this machine can do for you far outweigh the possible slow splitting issue.

Here is my take on the tractor splitter. Use a PTO pump. Slow....no way. Mine is 6sec cycle time. You have the advantage of what ever working height you like. I can tow from the splitter frame. The tractor running just off idle consumes no more fuel than a B&S screaming in your ear while you suck in the fumes. Much easier to take to the woods especially while pulling the trailer behind. Ram never slows down on tough pieces. Always moves at the same rate regardless of toughness. That can improve productivity in itself. Many have helped me split and at times side beside a stand alone unit. My 3pt splitter is easily 4x's faster and more comfortable to use. All agree they much prefer the 3pt. The con is the 20K tractor + 2K splitter to accomplish this.
307300483.jpg

Every guy needs at least one tractor....

My first tractor was a 1955 Ford 600 with a Wagner pipe loader on it. It was a great first tractor but it didn't have power steering and the loader didn't have down pressure. The other issue with the older Ford tractors is that with the loader they became very light in the backend. A counterweight is essential...so load the rear tires, install wheelweights or hang a drum of concrete on the 3-pt. hitch.

Your Ford 2000 is a newer version of my 600. The select-o-speed transmissions seem to either work great or not at all and can be a challenge to work on but, experienced mechanics seem to work miracles on them. Also, most folks prefer the gas engine over the diesel but, I have a friend that swears by the diesel in his Ford. If you are looking to roto-till, brush hog , back blade and split wood then that tractor will be fine.

If you want to run a splitter on it then I'd echo the suggestion of some of the other members.....get a unit that is powered by a PTO pump. The flow and pressure of the tractor hydraulics really is not well suited to a splitter. I have a 36" American Woodsplitter (PTO hydraulics) that works great. It's got good power and good speed. Most of the time the tractor runs at idle...for tough stuff I'll bump up the RPMs. Mine is vertical and I've learned to find a nice short round to use as a stool. My Partners and I have just bought a Timberwolf TW-3 which is a horizontal 3-pt splitter...I'll let you know how that one compares to mine.

If you do get the Ford I'd suggest you get a service manual and an operators manual. Also invest in a set of chains for the rear wheels...makes moving on ice and snow MUCH easier. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions or need help.

Most importantly....have fun with your new tractor!

AIM, can you try it before you buy it? If you can use it for even an hour, get it warmed up good, drive it around, etc - Try out the jerk-o-matic UP & DOWN hills, etc. 5 minutes of running won't tell you if it burns oil, jumps out of gear, or has other problems. Just check it out as best you can, tractor parts are $$$$$$$$. If it passes, buy it! 1001 uses for a tractor. :clap:

Here is my take on the tractor splitter. Use a PTO pump. Slow....no way. Mine is 6sec cycle time. You have the advantage of what ever working height you like. I can tow from the splitter frame. The tractor running just off idle consumes no more fuel than a B&S screaming in your ear while you suck in the fumes. Much easier to take to the woods especially while pulling the trailer behind. Ram never slows down on tough pieces. Always moves at the same rate regardless of toughness. That can improve productivity in itself. Many have helped me split and at times side beside a stand alone unit. My 3pt splitter is easily 4x's faster and more comfortable to use. All agree they much prefer the 3pt. The con is the 20K tractor + 2K splitter to accomplish this.
307300483.jpg

From a guy who has both, you sure gave him good advice.

Nice timber wolfe Dawz!
My opinion on the tractor for a$1500 buy it! If it is a sound tractor that is a steal!
My opinion on a three point splitter run off the tractor hydraulics. Have ran one for over 20 years, worked great, then fuel got to $4.00 and it was very expensive to run. Not to mention the cost of a new tractor/cost per hour lost with it sitting there idling. Go rent a newer tractor and at over $50 an hour plus fuel, you cant make much money doing wood. Our cycle time was 11 seconds in and out, running on a new cat 110hp tractor, not allot of power in the split, but cylinder was 2.5 inch ( push rod). On the 2030 john deere at 1500 rpm we were running about 23 second cycle, and worse on the power end, at times wouldn't even split day old ash!

Two weeks ago my brother and i bought a iron and oak bh4003 with log lift and adjustable 4 way wedge, burns about 3.5 gallons of gas in 10 hours of cutting and splitting, split everything we have put threw it so far. Cycle time about 11 seconds in and out, auto cycle, Love that splitter! split 4 face tonight in 45 minutes took two guys to feed it i split and threw it in the trailer.
In closing for the homeowner the 3-way is not a bad way to go if you have an older tractor, i would however suggest a pto pump to run it. But for the serious wood cutter get yourself a "real" splitter and make some time and hopefully $$$$$$

Nice timber wolfe Dawz!
My opinion on the tractor for a$1500 buy it! If it is a sound tractor that is a steal!
My opinion on a three point splitter run off the tractor hydraulics. Have ran one for over 20 years, worked great, then fuel got to $4.00 and it was very expensive to run. Not to mention the cost of a new tractor/cost per hour lost with it sitting there idling. Go rent a newer tractor and at over $50 an hour plus fuel, you cant make much money doing wood. Our cycle time was 11 seconds in and out, running on a new cat 110hp tractor, not allot of power in the split, but cylinder was 2.5 inch ( push rod). On the 2030 john deere at 1500 rpm we were running about 23 second cycle, and worse on the power end, at times wouldn't even split day old ash!

Two weeks ago my brother and i bought a iron and oak bh4003 with log lift and adjustable 4 way wedge, burns about 3.5 gallons of gas in 10 hours of cutting and splitting, split everything we have put threw it so far. Cycle time about 11 seconds in and out, auto cycle, Love that splitter! split 4 face tonight in 45 minutes took two guys to feed it i split and threw it in the trailer.
In closing for the homeowner the 3-way is not a bad way to go if you have an older tractor, i would however suggest a pto pump to run it. But for the serious wood cutter get yourself a "real" splitter and make some time and hopefully $$$$$$
I doubt I burn anymore fuel than you do and I'm at 6sec cycle time with no 2nd stage. The right 3pt will easly perform with any stand alone and out perform most. In reality the only difference between 3pt and stand alone is the power. With the tractor and a PTO pump you will have all the speed you can handle with no 2 stage to slow down in the tough stuff. I ran mine on a Allis CA for a couple of yrs and what a pleasure it was as the CA was very quite and thrifty too. I switched tractors cause the fuel to run the Deere doesn't cost me anything.

Last edited:
Well I ended up thinking about it all day yesterday and when I got home I had come to the conclusion that a tractor was in my future. Grabbed the wife and off I went to go ####er. I was willing to pay his asking price but I was gonna try for a couple hundred less. (hey ya gotta try)
We get there and the tractor is in his shop instead of sitting out back like before. Sure enough it got sold and they were just doing a few repairs before the guy came to pick it up.:cry:
Oh well... If there is one of something there is usually a hundred more if you look around.
I really had my eyes on that front bucket though and I don't see to many of those sitting around.
This will give me time I suppose to do some research and if nothing else make a more informed purchase but I have come to the conclusion that I will own a tractor.
Hmmmm,,, what to buy? what to buy? what to buy?

Oh well... If there is one of something there is usually a hundred more if you look around.

I'm sure that you'll find another tractor but probably not one at that price. That sounded like a bargain especially with the front end loader. Well anyway I hope you find another one for a good price.

307300483.jpg

Wkpoor did you make that splitter?Do you have plans?That looks like the ticket for my 'bota.I like the trailer hitch.

Well I ended up thinking about it all day yesterday and when I got home I had come to the conclusion that a tractor was in my future. Grabbed the wife and off I went to go ####er. I was willing to pay his asking price but I was gonna try for a couple hundred less. (hey ya gotta try)
We get there and the tractor is in his shop instead of sitting out back like before. Sure enough it got sold and they were just doing a few repairs before the guy came to pick it up.
I really had my eyes on that front bucket though and I don't see to many of those sitting around.
This will give me time I suppose to do some research and if nothing else make a more informed purchase but I have come to the conclusion that I will own a tractor.
Hmmmm,,, what to buy? what to buy? what to buy?
I used vintage or antique tractors around here for years and got by just fine. Many told me to sell all my tractors and get one new one and it will serve all my needs many times over. Well I didn't get rid of the old ones but I did get a newer one and boy were they right. A modern tractor and loader is just like going from a 1950 pick up to new one. I would look around for something in the 90's forward. I paid 16.9K for my 5400 and haven't used my others since. The power and functionality is amazing compared to the older stuff. Still like my Farmalls and Allis's but they are toys to play with now.
Wkpoor did you make that splitter?Do you have plans?That looks like the ticket for my 'bota.I like the trailer hitch.
No plans. I took a Speeco 3pt model and adapted onto that frame and tank and then powered it with the Prince PTO pump. Very simple but fast and efficient. Somewhere on this forum there are a layout of pics. If interested I'll repost or find them. At the time I built that I invested about 1600.00. That included the original Speeco purchase plus the Prince pump. Fab work about 500.00 and 200.00 in hoses and fittings.

My 3 ph is a vertical wedge on and axis with the cylinder on the tractor side. (Photo later) The beauty of it is that it raises high enough to easily hitch the tongue of a wagon to the drawbar on the tractor. I mount the splitter, back in to a grain wagon, hitch the tongue & off I go. Great when you're working by yourself.

Latest posts

Back