tree climber fall

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i guess i have to admit that i have done something similar. my old saddle had a circular metal accessory ring right next to my lanyard D ring and two different times i found that i was tied into it rather than the D ring. Completely my fault, but also dumb manufacturing.

rbtree said:
put weight on system before unclipping lanyard.....and on and on....

Man, I'm sorry about your friend. I'll be prayin fer um when I go up today.

In defense of the keychain saw biner, I use it like roger to ensure breakaway in case my log grabs my saw which its done and pulls be down the tree.40 feet. Its happened but I think the keychain will break. I'll video a stress test of each style keybiner and bungiee style and post it for us all.

Last edited:
One time while spiking my way up a large white oak, 35 - 40 ft up I clipped my lanyard above the next limb. Hearing the rope snap click, I leaned back to check tension, everything seemed OK. Looked down to unclip lower lanyard, and happened to notice that my upper lanyard was only hooked OUTSIDE the rope snap gate. I had heard it click, and it felt like it was hooked good, but it wasn't. Thank god that i noticed before i unhooked the other lanyard.
ALWAYS visually check you clips guys !

It's great to read how a guy can fall 80' and survive - I wish him a speedy recovery.

Last Saturday, a good friend of mine fell off his bicycle while riding a park trail and broke his neck in two places. He's a young healthy man and is now permanently paralyzed from the neck down. My point is, we don't often think about how thin our 'lifeline' really is and how tenuous our grasp. It doesn't take a fall of 80' to change your life or end it.

Be Safe,
Jerry

Back