Trimmed limiter caps and warranty issue?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avalancher

Arboristsite Raconteur
Reaction score
I bought a new Husky 372 back in December, and after running a dozen tankfuls through it I modded the muffler a bit, then had to trim the tabs off the carb screws to adjust it. No big deal until the other day when the coil went out. I figure with it being under warranty why should I part with the coin so I hauled it down to the local saw shop, explained the deal to the guy, and offered to just let him hand me a coil and i would install it myself so he wouldnt sit on my saw for two weeks. Heck, as far as I was concerned, he could go ahead and bill Husqvarna for the diagnosis and repair for all I care.

Things were going fine until he spotted the trimmed caps on the carb, and asked me about it. Told him the truth, and he said there was no way Husky would pay for repairs on a modded saw, even if the mods had nothing to do with the failure of the coil.Being a smart ass, I said, "Well, if I happened to paint it a real nice green and purple to match that wild thing over there, Husky would deny the claim because it wasn't its original color too?" He said yep, they would.
I politely asked him to not include that in his report, give me a coil, and I would be on my way, but he wouldn't budge on the issue. Said he could lose his dealership if he got caught.

What do you think?Ask a different dealer?We have a couple within driving range.Or am I out of luck and just go ahead and plunk down the cash for the new coil myself?

Seems to me that modding the saw in anyway will void the warranty. You can try the other guys but be ready to buy the coil.

Seems to me that modding the saw in anyway will void the warranty. You can try the other guys but be ready to buy the coil.

Bull####.
In the automotive world companies are compelled to repair under warranty as long as mods weren't made to the failed system.
The dealer should get his head out of his ass and/or Husqvarna can go to hell.

I think a modified saw (especially one with trimmed limiter caps) may be illegal for the dealer to work on. EPA and fines and the like. Coil is a cheap/easy fix and you can switch it out with an unlimited RPM model. Just do it yourself.

Bull####.
In the automotive world companies are compelled to repair under warranty as long as mods weren't made to the failed system.

i was thinking the same thing

Last edited:
Figure the dealer is going by the book. It is a chance you take when doing a mod. I agree that the coil going bad had nothing to do with the mod, but I also understand the dealer not wanting to put his head on the chopping block.

I think a modified saw (especially one with trimmed limiter caps) may be illegal for the dealer to work on. EPA and fines and the like. Coil is a cheap/easy fix and you can switch it out with an unlimited RPM model. Just do it yourself.

Its not the coin involved, I reckon I can part with the cash for a coil no problem,its the principal of the thing that kinda ticked me off. Now, if I had walked in the door with a saw with a broken rod and he spotted an unlimited coil, that I would understand.If the saw had swallowed a piston or toasted a jug, then I can see where the trimmed caps would come into play.Hell, I wouldnt pay for a warranty issue if a customer modded something related either.
Just made me kinda cranky about the whole deal, and really had me puzzled. I expect this out of Echo, but not Husky who in the past were pretty good about warranty repairs. My first 200t toasted a cylinder in the first hour of operation, and when I brought it in for warranty, dealer made a call and handed me a new one within 20 minutes. Stihl and Husky have always been pretty good about warranty issues, but I havent had to take em up on it for a good number of years.

i know this for sure about echo,,, if anything done to the saw will void teh warranty. even if it has a different length b/c that they recommend.. i think he is being picky if he says that it being painted will void it. i think i would find another dealer

I think it is horse manure. I've watched a dealer pull the limiters themselves when they needed to do it to achieve the proper tune.
It's all about the dealer, mine doesn't give a **** if you walk in with a muffler mod, limiters pulled etc. He takes care of his customer, period. He always fills out the registration in my name, rather than the business name so he can give me the year warranty instead of the 90 commercial use warranty. The dealer could do it under warranty with no problem, it's all in how he writes the claim. I'd find a dealer that is reasonable, removing the limiters had nothing to do with the coil failing.

I think it is horse manure. I've watched a dealer pull the limiters themselves when they needed to do it to achieve the proper tune.
It's all about the dealer, mine doesn't give a **** if you walk in with a muffler mod, limiters pulled etc. He takes care of his customer, period. He always fills out the registration in my name, rather than the business name so he can give me the year warranty instead of the 90 commercial use warranty. The dealer could do it under warranty with no problem, it's all in how he writes the claim. I'd find a dealer that is reasonable, removing the limiters had nothing to do with the coil failing.

But you have a very close, long time relationship with your dealer.:)

Very,very, true, but he has built his business on treating everyone virtually the same. The only real difference is giving some of us old time customers discounts. His service and fair treatment is the reason he out sells the other dealer less than a mile away 4-1.
If you were a total stranger that didn't buy the saw there and had mods, he would proceed with caution, just to make sure it wasn't a epa sting, but if he sold the saw and knew you were a bona fide local, I'd bet a saw he'd take care of it. He was a long time echo dealer and dropped them because of them not honoring legitimate warranty issues. He's considering adding Dolmar, I hope it comes to fruition.

Yep, EPA creates all sorts of trouble, I have heard.....:msp_mad: :angry:

witnessed it not long ago at my local stihl dealer. Dealer pulled down a brand new ms362 that he just sold to a NEW customer, not a local or anything like that, and right off the bat he yanked out the caps to get it tuned in.

i think your situation/dealer is full of crap.

Bull####.

I think a modified saw (especially one with trimmed limiter caps) may be illegal for the dealer to work on. EPA and fines and the like.

Two opposing points of view... and I agree with both of them. Hrmm. What does this mean? Well, from my perspective, a dealer protecting his business by playing ball with the EPA isn't a jerk, but is a sissy. The degree to which a dealer plays by the rules to the letter of the law is going to be a matter of how long he's been in the business, how stable the local economy is, and the nature of relationships he has with his customers. A nervous dealer is one who fears losing it all.

I would recommend, at the very least, getting a second opinion.

I bought a new Husky 372 back in December, and after running a dozen tankfuls through it I modded the muffler a bit, then had to trim the tabs off the carb screws to adjust it. No big deal until the other day when the coil went out. I figure with it being under warranty why should I part with the coin so I hauled it down to the local saw shop, explained the deal to the guy, and offered to just let him hand me a coil and i would install it myself so he wouldnt sit on my saw for two weeks. Heck, as far as I was concerned, he could go ahead and bill Husqvarna for the diagnosis and repair for all I care.

Things were going fine until he spotted the trimmed caps on the carb, and asked me about it. Told him the truth, and he said there was no way Husky would pay for repairs on a modded saw, even if the mods had nothing to do with the failure of the coil.Being a smart ass, I said, "Well, if I happened to paint it a real nice green and purple to match that wild thing over there, Husky would deny the claim because it wasn't its original color too?" He said yep, they would.
I politely asked him to not include that in his report, give me a coil, and I would be on my way, but he wouldn't budge on the issue. Said he could lose his dealership if he got caught.

What do you think?Ask a different dealer?We have a couple within driving range.Or am I out of luck and just go ahead and plunk down the cash for the new coil myself?

Yeah that's hogwash. I would've been sure to tell him he just lost a customer.
It can't hurt a thing to try another dealer. Explain everything to them up front and see which way it goes.

Myth?

I have heard that dealers can be "victims" of EPA spies posing as customers in sting operations to see if dealers will work on modified saws.

If this is true, it's difficult for me to fault the dealer on this one especially if he doesn't know you well, even though the unrelated nature of the failure seems to be the sticking point here.

My dealer has also been good about warrantee work. When my ms361 was in the shop for a case of the fits, he pulled a brand new ms441 off the shelf and told me to use this while mine was getting fixed.

I think it really all comes down to your relationship with your dealer. I really can’t blame a fellow for not wanting to stick their neck out to help a customer as the potential risk vs. reward here is not in the dealers favor. Nearest analogy I can think of would be to asking a gunsmith to work on a “modified“ firearm.
If I was in the dealer’s shoes, I probably would have offered to repair your saw under warrantee but I would insist it leave my shop in factory specs and thus would probably ask you to pay for a new muffler and a new set of limiter caps. It is your saw and you can do whatever you want with it but when you bring it back to the dealer it becomes their saw as well. At least, this is how I see it.

The guy is probably only playing by the rules because he rightfully is worried about whether or not the EPA, or the parent company, will somehow become aware. Dealerships / franchises are not cheap, neither are EPA fines. The guy's liveliehood depends upon his business. The dealership is how he makes his living. He likely can't afford to lose it.

Want to see a real fine? Check into C.A.R.B. fines. Modified exhaust, anything other than factory on your motorcycle in California, can net you a fine starting around $6000 + the vehicle code fine and court costs. I imagine EPA fines are equally as ridiculous.

Back