U-tube experts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Strongest saw I own was built with his methods also. Squish is .030" on that saw. I did no machining to that saw at all..

It runs like a scalded cat and more importantly I learned something. Like maybe I dont need to do machining ro build a strong saw. Time will tell if thats true, I'm not going to close my mimd to the idea.

My other hobby is gunsmithing, so machining a cylinder isn't exactly rocket science for me.

Its mearly a 10 foot walk from my saw building bench to my lathe.

I would assume (but may be incorrect) that a lot of the oldtimers who ported saws for themselves or others, never saw any need or had the ability to use a lathe, so they used other methods to achieve desired results. Lots of saws were ported with a broken chain file, or had a welded popup piston to increase compression. Lots of ways to skin a cat even though some of the old methods may be looked upon as crude today. In the end all that matters is how it runs, and longevity/reliability.

I would assume (but may be incorrect) that a lot of the oldtimers who ported saws for themselves or others, never saw any need or had the ability to use a lathe, so they used other methods to achieve desired results. Lots of saws were ported with a broken chain file, or had a welded popup piston to increase compression. Lots of ways to skin a cat even though some of the old methods may be looked upon as crude today. In the end all that matters is how it runs, and longevity/reliability.

And that is how I look at it..

Was running a buddies super strong ported 372 on the weekend..

Couldn't tell ya what the porting looks like, all I know is that saw runs very very strong and has done so for the last 5 or 6 years..

How they run and how long they last is all I care about.

Latest posts

Back