Upper Michigan (UP) two saw plan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another vote for the 462, That will also likely be my next saw. It will be years before the 400 is here I bet so take that off the list. The 500 looks impressive but I don’t think I’d pass on the 462.

Not a Stihl guy, I don’t understand their model numbering logic other than the bigger the numbers the bigger the saw

It sounds like for you, the classic 50cc/70cc 2 saw plan would work very well for you.

With Husqvarna, I would recommend a 550XP/372XP or 572XP combo

I am well past a 4 saw plan, but for me that would be about the minimum for ME. I like my Top Handle, then it would be 550XP, 372XP and 395XP, but with Dave, “thachainsawguy” ‘s price for the 3120XP, I would accept the 3120’s weight penalty, because I enjoy Milling, and the 3120, could serve as my BIG Firewood saw, we get into 36” and larger wood sometimes. If I wasn’t into milling the 395XP would be my “BIG Saw”

Lots of guys get by with a 2 saw plan, for 25 years, my 266XP “Ol Reliable” and my 23 Compact, Top Handle served my needs very well. Then I bought my 3120XP, had some questions, found AS, and Ya All CORRUPTED Me, infected me with CAD and then CSMAD, my sig line tells the story of how that has progressed, I sure can’t say “Ended”

Hi, I’m Doug, and I have a Problem,

Well actually TWO Problems
My Budget isn’t BIG Enough and,
My Garage isn’t BIG Enough

Doug

Thanks,

Thanks all for the splitting advice. It’s not that I can’t split the big ones, i grew up swinging a maul, it’s that my typical process (right or wrong) is to buck in the woods, haul it home, and split next to the pile. Loading the big dogs in the back of the truck sounds like the opposite of fun to me. Plus then I won’t need a 90cc saw :)
Makes since, I like to split where I cut, less mess in the yard.

I cut about the same wood as what you explained. I have a ported husky 254 and a ported 372 and do just fine with them I'm sure the 462 would be perfect for what your doing
Thank you. One question or slight fear I guess is that the 462 looks and feels intimidating compared next to the 261. Maybe that’s just in my head and I need to get over it. Regardless, I respect all saws and their power.

Not a Stihl guy, I don’t understand their model numbering logic other than the bigger the numbers the bigger the saw

It sounds like for you, the classic 50cc/70cc 2 saw plan would work very well for you.

With Husqvarna, I would recommend a 550XP/372XP or 572XP combo

I am well past a 4 saw plan, but for me that would be about the minimum for ME. I like my Top Handle, then it would be 550XP, 372XP and 395XP, but with Dave, “thachainsawguy” ‘s price for the 3120XP, I would accept the 3120’s weight penalty, because I enjoy Milling, and the 3120, could serve as my BIG Firewood saw, we get into 36” and larger wood sometimes. If I wasn’t into milling the 395XP would be my “BIG Saw”

Lots of guys get by with a 2 saw plan, for 25 years, my 266XP “Ol Reliable” and my 23 Compact, Top Handle served my needs very well. Then I bought my 3120XP, had some questions, found AS, and Ya All CORRUPTED Me, infected me with CAD and then CSMAD, my sig line tells the story of how that has progressed, I sure can’t say “Ended”

Hi, I’m Doug, and I have a Problem,

Well actually TWO Problems
My Budget isn’t BIG Enough and,

Doug
What is CSMAD? I definitely have CAD!

If you already have a 261 and like the Mtronic, just grab a 462 and call it a day. I'd also pick up a 20" and a 28" bar. That should cut 95% of whatever you would need to cut.

You don't need a 661, a 395, or any of the bigger saws.

Just my 2 cents.

Gotta ask. I like my saws too, but with 2 bars and chains to fit, you'd be around $1,200 to cut 5 cord of wood a year? If it was me, I'd buy a 60cc Echo with a 20" bar and call it a day.
That sounds about right. I plan on doing it for the next 30+ years so I figured I should buy the proper equipment. Wanting to stay Stihl for the dealer support. Thank you.

Gotta ask. I like my saws too, but with 2 bars and chains to fit, you'd be around $1,200 to cut 5 cord of wood a year? If it was me, I'd buy a 60cc Echo with a 20" bar and call it a day.
That’s what I’m running currently too. I do more that 5 cords a year and often find the 20” 590 isn’t enough. Recently that was noodling some 25ish” fresh white oak. That took forever!

You may want to start by finding the best dealer in your area. One who has knowledgeable repair techs.
Unless you plan on wrenching on your own saws you will want a dealer how knows how to fix your saw and not just tell you its time for a new one.

From the UP and not running Husqvarna? Interesting...I would take a good look at 572XPG for up there with heated handles. There is an awesome saw builder in Iron Mountain MI who has built 2 saws for me. His porting work is great and he is excellent to deal with.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

If you already have a 261 and like the Mtronic, just grab a 462 and call it a day. I'd also pick up a 20" and a 28" bar. That should cut 95% of whatever you would need to cut.
You already have a 20" bar.... (3/8" .050?). Just get the 462 with a 3/8 - .050 light bar! The "intimidation" will soon turn to respect and admiration, and you will have a great saw that will put a smile on your face every time you use it!

You guys really enjoy using 20" bars? I tossed all mine.
Curious what you use.

I have saws from a 38cc Top Handle to the 118cc 3120XP, and a Dozen in between, with bars from 13” to 72”

Typically have a 16” on the Wife’s 445, and my 543XP, 18” on the 353 and 20” on the 550XP. 24&28” B&C’s for the 266XP, 562XP, 372XP and 372XPW. I have 36, 44, 60 and 72” for the 390XP, 395XP’s and 3120XP

It’s not too often that I don’t have the right Saw/Bar/Chain combination for whatever I need to cut

Yep, I COULD easily get by with fewer Saws/Bars/Chains than that, but where is the Fun in That?

Hi, I’m Doug and I have a Problem,

Well, actually TWO Problems,
My Budget isn’t BIG Enough, and

Doug

I’m quite content with 50cc/13” and 80cc/20”+28”. Realistically, there isn’t much that that combo can’t do. All the other saws are just icing on the cake.

Heated handles are nice. That alone would resolve the 462 vs 572 question for me, unless I wanted to bring a heated Stihl in from Canada.

10" (fun) , 12" (top handle pruning), 25" (on 3 different saws) and trying to decide on a comfortable over 30" length.

I always found 20" too short and unbalanced for the size of the powerhead, too small for the average size tree, and an unreliable block size reference when cutting 16" or 18".

Edit: I added an image to show why I prefer the 25 for sizing. Notice where the 16 and 18 line up?
508ef44e7cabf89372a5138e6109821f.jpg

From the UP and not running Husqvarna? Interesting...I would take a good look at 572XPG for up there with heated handles. There is an awesome saw builder in Iron Mountain MI who has built 2 saws for me. His porting work is great and he is excellent to deal with.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
I didn’t realize Husqvarna was more prevalent up here. Thanks for the suggestion. I will look at it. I really like my Stihl 261

I didn’t realize Husqvarna was more prevalent up here. Thanks for the suggestion. I will look at it. I really like my Stihl 261
I am not sure your impression is correct, brand loyalty is rather regional. Guessing I'd say the site is likely 40% stihl 40% husky 5% echo 5% poulan and 10% other.

.... maybe there is a poll thread around?

Back