Wadja get for Christmas thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too had a small stockpile but shot about half of it like an idiot thinking g it would be short. I only had about 2000 rounds. But I will shoot 200-500 per range visit and I was going lots a yr ago!! Since I been grabbing them when I can 50 at Tue time at academy for 2-$3.50 a box. But if there is a food shortage I guess we will be eating lots of meet and fish? I like right next to the woods. Not mine but 2 mins from usfs property and 10 mins from a major lake. I will eat squirrel and deer and fish I guess. With the homemade 30 06 243 38 and 44 that I make. I have 100lbs of lead or so an. Casting materials so I can make several hundred more bullets if need be. Not a prep per but like to this k I could last a short term food crisis. Seasons for me would go out the window!! I'd be spotlighting to put food on the table.

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk

You realize that 98% of the population has the same strategy, right(excluding the bullet casting and reloading)? :( Wild game populations weren't sufficient when the U.S. had half the population it does now. During the depression, my great grandfather had to travel 50+ miles to find game....and we're only a few miles from an 89,000 acre lake and a major waterway.

There really isn't a reason for there to be a shortage of .22. CCI alone can crank out something like a million rounds a day of the stuff. That's a single manufacturer. My main point was a "what if" question intended to provoke some thought. :)

I ALWAYS carry!

God (and me Daddy) gave me 19 inch pythons.

But I do have a fine collection of 'home defence weapons"

What's with all the new MK1's?? Heck I would of got a 38 or 44 mag there cheaper now to shoot than 22s seeing as you haven't been able to buy ammo in practically a year at a decent price!!

Since I reload I shoot 44 may and 38 cheaper now than my mk3

I got this one because I knew the guy selling it. His (now deceased) dad bought it new. I have had an eye for a 22/45 for a long time, but just don't have enough time to shoot these days to justify any more gun expenditures. The guy needed some Christmas coin, and this was not all that sentimental to him. There is also a security six that I'll probably end up with. The .22 is not the more collectible one with the red logo, but even if it was, it would be a shooter. I may horde project saws, but everything I have that goes BANG is made to do so once in a while. I do not believe in safe-queens. I took my two younger brothers on their first trip to the range this year, and we shot my pristine Gold Cup (among plenty of others...). While cleaning it, I dropped the safety lever on the frame and put a nick in it. While the gun lost value, I will remember the spending time with my brothers every time I see that nick now.

The .22 came with the original box and manual, though the bottom of the box has been taped back together. It also came with a holster, which I find humorous. Who carries a clunky .22 on their belt??? Maybe it was for kids? Anyway, I don't think it has ever been cleaned. That is probably a good thing. Otherwise it likely would be all scarred up around the take-down lever. I'll be taking my daughter on her first shooting experience in the next week or so, and you can bet that the Ruger will be one of the first ones up. I'll start her off with a nice heavy 6" full lug revolver & move up from there if it is appropriate. I cringe when I see jack-weeds take their women/kids/friends to the range and give them a full house .357 to start things off.

I need to quit talking about guns now. The more I think of it, the more it will cause saw-funds to get redirected.

Think the lake I'm near is 80k acres, we aren't talking the same lake are we? But yea I realize that. Guess I will get rabbits an. Raise them with chickens. U know there is no reason for shortage when u look at the bullet capacity of the nation then think where are those bullets going it makes you wonder. I am a mild conspiracy theorist and I wonder?? Not trying to argue but just what I was saying? But yea there is no where near enough deer when folks start going to eating them all the time even if I like 39 mins from a city with 25k people . May move back to Tue farm where were even farther from people if need be?

I bought myself a 22/45 when they were first out at least I think that's when it was.? I ran into a guy at the range my senior year in college. I was big into 22s then as it was all I could afford to shoot. I liked 1911 style and when he showed me his mk3 22/45 I was hooked. I actually think they had been out a yr or so?? Anyway I boot one a few months before I finished. Love that gun . Once I started work I did not shoot it much for years. But started back a few years ago. So it still has less than 3k rounds through it I bet. Just wish the magazines for it were. Not so pricy!

When TSHTF there won't be any critters within the first month.

My FIL has a bunch O' land, used to hunt down there.

He told me when he was a kid (late '30s) Early '40s) there were no deer in NC Indiana/Ohio.

He also told me "Son don't ever sell a gun, there will come a day they will be worth their weight in gold"

I have heeded his advice, and when I would buy a gun, I ALWAYS get enough ammo fer it to last me a lifetime!

Last edited:
Think the lake I'm near is 80k acres, we aren't talking the same lake are we? But yea I realize that. Guess I will get rabbits an. Raise them with chickens. U know there is no reason for shortage when u look at the bullet capacity of the nation then think where are those bullets going it makes you wonder. I am a mild conspiracy theorist and I wonder?? Not trying to argue but just what I was saying? But yea there is no where near enough deer when folks start going to eating them all the time even if I like 39 mins from a city with 25k people . May move back to Tue farm where were even farther from people if need be?

No more lead production in the United States. The last smelting operation was shut down a few weeks ago.

Sorry for a derail. My dad said there were no deer growing up at the farm too. I also have never sold a gun ;)

And even if no smelting here I am doing it at home!! If I have wood I can always make bullets at least for the molds I have. Just need more primers and powder for life.

Always said,

"a determined man could cut down an old growth Redwood with a mini mac"

Same fer makin' ammo!

Bat **** makes good black powder.

Dolmar 421 and a bottle of Blantons bourbon.

You be on the wrong forum,

perhaps you be looking fer "Drinking and Driving Americas favorite participation Sport Forum"

Or the Forum "Chainsaws and Alcohol Do Mix"!

Just kidding WELCOME to the site!?

Lol. Thanks.

It's been snowing practically non-stop and everything is covered in ice from the ice-storm so... That Blantons sure is good. The 421 is going to have to wait.

Sit back and hold on!

This place ain't as rowdy as it used to be (shame)

But when you git the old timers on here sipping their pie (my favorite) it gets pretty interesting (to say the least)

These came in the mail today. The Mrs. bought them for me off eBay on Monday. That square stitched into the back of the left hand is the protective pad. I've seen these on several European sites but never here in the states. I saw them on eBay Sunday and made a comment... apparently the wife was listening. ;)

Goatskin palms, spandex backs, knit cuffs, and the "H" logo is supposed to be reflective. Husqvarna p/n 579 38 02-10

HusqyGloves.jpg

Lol. Thanks.

It's been snowing practically non-stop and everything is covered in ice from the ice-storm so... That Blantons sure is good. The 421 is going to have to wait.
Where you be?

N.E. Indiana here, looks like a clipper comin' in, better go out and git me a dozen rounds.

All dead standin' bug eaten White Ash (shame)

005.JPG

got this from procarbine2k1 a few weeks ago and just now got it put n the truck,,, my shoulder still is not even close to where I want it to be but I did get it on,,,, ended up with a couple of small air bubbles and I small crease and its just tad crooked but I don't care,, it does look good,, you can't see it but theres another one on the left side and 1/2 the size ad it I white,,,,got a few other things from the wife and my customers but his is really cool

IMG_0631.JPG

Latest posts

Back