Walking beam trailer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danthe

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to modify my atv wood hauling trailer from a single axle to a 4 wheel walking beam design. I have access to 4 16 x 6.50-8 wheel and tire. They do not have bearing just plain 3/4 in metal bushing. I have 3/4 in shaft I could use.
My questions is will I get decent setup without bearing?

Thanks

Danthe

Before switching to a walking beam with short tires that all vehicles built for off road use relatively tall wheels. Tractors, army trailers, trucks used for mud bogging,the old horse drawn wagons,ect..A non-powered wheel stops turning when material reaches the center point of the axle.

Depending how the beam is set up, they can either flip end for end and climb over the obstacle, or what I've found with mine is that the tires bump and pull up the obstacle as long as the radius isn't such that the tire gets hooked under the obstruction.

I know the whees are quite low but this is what I have available now. I usually skid to my trail and then trailer to the my woodpile both using my ATV. It will be built to accomodate larger wheel for the futur.

But my main question is will I get away with wheel with bushing only (no bearing). I trailer at 5 to 6 miles loaded per years (1/3 cord per load). Can I expect a few years usage without bearing.

Thanks for the responces.

Danthe

I can't imagine the 3/4" shaft holding up to any kind of weight or abuse. If you don't mind taking the time to build it knowing it will be light duty at best, I say go for it.

I wouldn't say the bushing part would be a barrier - just put some grease fittings in & keep them greased.

The small wheels & shafts might give you issues though. All depends on the terrain & the load.

I can't imagine the 3/4" shaft holding up to any kind of weight or abuse. If you don't mind taking the time to build it knowing it will be light duty at best, I say go for it.

I have lawn and garden trailers that take 1000 pounds on nothing more than 3/4" axle and bushed wheels...they are well over 30 years old and have hauled hundreds of cords during that time, not to mention dirt, sand, and gravel.

Its all they had before roller bearings...just make sure they are greased.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

Bushings are better than poorly sealed bearings. I'd even advise against using grease as it attracts dirt. UHMW plastic bushings do very well at low speed duty. The problem with the small wheels may very well be how fast you intend to travel with it.

Latest posts

Back