Want to switch to Husky climbing saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I call BS!
This thread is way out of control. The 200 is a fine saw, but so is the husky. Out of the box, the saws are very close in cutting performance, the edge goes slightly to the husky, which is the case for the whole husky line compared to stihl.
To say your friend's saw is that much faster says you don't haver a clue. Your saw is dull or not running right, either that or his saws is modified.

Talking about balance is tricky, you want it slightly nose heavy, it's easier to cut.

The older versions of husky were plagued with some problems, which since have been fixed.

The two saws are close, if I were buying, I'd go husky. If it were free, I'd take stihl. The husky is a slightly better value, the stihl is a slightly better saw.

Mike..............always the one to tell is straight.............no BS!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Last edited:
LOL BS is it!!

The 020 was mine and the Husky my mates,and since there where 3 others standing there laughing at the Husky i'd say that I know better in THIS scenario.
Now either
1. I and 4 other professional tree surgeons dont know how to sharpen the Husky.
2 Some1 modded my 020 when i wasnt looking.
3 The Husky is a poor effort compared to the 020.
4 Or which is probably the case, the husky was a bad one which needed sending back to the manufacture.
It had been back to the dealer before this little test since we thought it was way underpowered but it came back saying it was fine!!!

It's now been lashed in a corner never to be used again, just glad it wasnt my £300 wasted since i was contemplating buying one just before my mate did, got a MS200T instead.

Tis a shame since I thought Husky would have made a real effort to improve the 335 to out class the MS200, If they bring out a new and improved 340(or something) then how many stihl fans are gonna think "Yeah Ill buy one, third time lucky!"

I had a race recently, my 338 against my buddies 200.
We set up a nice straight log with both ends out, and I told him to get started, I'd catch up.
Well, after about 20 pulls, his crappy stihl finally started. You could tell it was started because of all the smoke, it might have been on fire, I don't know. Then into the cut he went, more smoke, because stihls are alway dull.
I forgot I hadn't started my saw for two years and when I looked at the gas tank, it was empty. So I headed to the gas station, my buddy still smoking the log.
It's a 1/2 hour drive each way, so when I got back he was still a cutting. He burned about 2/3s of the way through the log.
I gave my saw one pull of the cord, made the cut, shut the saw off and started making lunch. The amazing part of it was I never gassed up my saw. Because it's a husky, it runs that fast just on air.
Imagine if it had gas!
My time through the log was a little faster than the predator cuts, but that's normal because its a husky.
As I type, my friend is still outside cutting and I suspect he'll be done in a few more days, you know because he's running a stihl...:popcorn:

Mike..............always the one to tell is straight.............no BS!!!
Does that apply to this post aswell?

I was just giving MY view of MY experience with the 338, now this is obviously a big problem to you since you didnt just try and defend the saw you also attacked me in the process.

I'm not one of these idoiot's who is only a Stihl or Husky man, I use whatever saw is best suited to the job.
Cba taking part in these petty arguments a waste of everyones time and a thread trasher.
Allways the same whenever any1 compares a stihl to a husky, dont know why i F***king bothered.

like i said b4...single stemming and windfirming is the toughest test you can put on a climbing saws...you're cutting branches all day (some of them as big as small tops) and hammering off tops that really should be done with a bigger saw...I remember my first day stemming thinking, christ i gotta cut this top with this saw?!!!...resedential work is an entirely different matter...but no one in this industry runs a husky...you wouldn't get your production quota....they just don't seem to have that extra oomph that the little stihls have....and till i started climbing all my saws were huskies....

I call BS!
This thread is way out of control. The 200 is a fine saw, but so is the husky. Out of the box, the saws are very close in cutting performance, the edge goes slightly to the husky, which is the case for the whole husky line compared to stihl.
To say your friend's saw is that much faster says you don't haver a clue. Your saw is dull or not running right, either that or his saws is modified.

Talking about balance is tricky, you want it slightly nose heavy, it's easier to cut.

The older versions of husky were plagued with some problems, which since have been fixed.

The two saws are close, if I were buying, I'd go husky. If it were free, I'd take stihl. The husky is a slightly better value, the stihl is a slightly better saw.

Mike..............always the one to tell is straight.............no BS!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Does that apply to this post aswell?

I was just giving MY view of MY experience with the 338, now this is obviously a big problem to you since you didnt just try and defend the saw you also attacked me in the process.

I'm not one of these idoiot's who is only a Stihl or Husky man, I use whatever saw is best suited to the job.
Cba taking part in these petty arguments a waste of everyones time and a thread trasher.
Allways the same whenever any1 compares a stihl to a husky, dont know why i F***king bothered.

If your name is Mike Maas then it does..............you obviously didn't see that it was not addressed to you. Put down the fife and drum and read a little!

Last edited:
If your name is Mike Maas then it does..............you obviously didn't see that it was not addressed to you. Put down the fife and drum and read a little!

I think you misunderstood me, I mean't the post above mine(ie Mike's) I see you hold a torch for him, and I wouldn't want to get mixed up in that :greenchainsaw: .

I am NOT a Stihl fan. I use to be. A friend carries a ms200t and I have run it several times. To me, (and this is just personal preference) it is heavy, blocky, and cumbersome in a tree, it lacks the speed of a 338, it lacks the power of the 338, it does not start as well, requires more maintenance, and overall a lesser saw.

But that is just me.
You guys can all brag up your Stihls all you want, I love it. Because while you're at the saw shop getting repaired, me and my little 338, will be politely serving your customers.
However all good things must come to an end, and so did my 338. Sadly after years of hard..(yes very very hard service) Like a faithful old dog I had to let her go.

Lately I have been running a little Johnsered 2135, and I find it is the only saw I have ever had that has balanced as well as the 338 and maybe even a little better....but it does not quite have the power the 338 did, or the speed.

It runs about the same speed as my buddies Stihl, much slower than my old 338 did, but I like it. Its comfortable, and I only pull the rope once when I need to start it. Besides I do not need to do a complete teardown and clean out every time I get done using it. If you really like to work on saws every night after putting in your day...definitely buy the Stihl.

I think you misunderstood me, I mean't the post above mine(ie Mike's) I see you hold a torch for him, and I wouldn't want to get mixed up in that :greenchainsaw: .

If holding a torch is the same as respect then yeah I hold a torch for Mike.

Mike's has been on here a long time and has plenty of experience to back up any opinion he gives!!!

Actually it was a worn out crappy old husky against a new, but broken in Stihl. Please remember I started out my post with "I am NOT a Stihl fan", meaning of course, that in this respect yes, I am a little close minded. It would take an awful lot for a Stihl to impress me at all, for the simple reason I have run them in the past, and had nothing but trouble with them.

Also I mentioned that it was my personal preference, which right or wrong could have no bearing.

The further jabs I took at Stihl, and their products, that company earned with multiple infractions of good business practices, and poor dealer representation, worthless warranties, and absolutely no customer support in the past. But THAT IS ONLY MY EXPERIENCE WITH THEM.

Maybe it was a crappy dealer, but I am inclined to believe it was crappy saws.
Husky, and Johnsered have been real good to me when I did need them, and that was very few times. Call me old fashioned, but I will stick with a company that treats me like they actually WANT my business.

I have run em all. My favorite is the 338 new edition. It will not out cut an 020 but runs fairly close. My reason for liking the new edition better is for the balance and feel i just like it better than the stihl. it will blow away the 335 but is still lees of a man than the stihl. the 335's are pruning saws, they should only put a 6 inch bar on them to prevent us from being tempted to cut anything bigger.
My crew met on the job with Husky r&d one day earlier this year. I am not allowed to say much. but keep your eyes on the husky. they are listening to guys that use these saws everyday and are making changes to better compete with the stihl 020. Maybe some day the Husky guys of this world won't need to hold there heads in shame limbing out trees with an 020. Time will tell.

I disagree. My only 338 has been woods modded, and still won't beat any of my 335's, be they Cali's or the 35 cc. All have dual port mufflers, and are quite reliable. They all have more torque than the 200T, and the old 335 is faster than the lot of them, by a good 10-15%. Mind you, if I bothered to port the 200T muffler, it would outcut the Husky's. Personally, I prefer the Husky saws. Most problems have been ironed out. The 200T is not problem free either, though, overall, I must agree that it is a better saw.

I hear the latest 338 is a bit better than the first model. Also, in 18 months or so, Husky will have a saw with the carb in the back. My guess is, if it isn't EPA restricted or strato charged, it will be a great saw.

Actually it was a worn out crappy old husky against a new, but broken in Stihl. Please remember I started out my post with "I am NOT a Stihl fan", meaning of course, that in this respect yes, I am a little close minded. It would take an awful lot for a Stihl to impress me at all, for the simple reason I have run them in the past, and had nothing but trouble with them.

Also I mentioned that it was my personal preference, which right or wrong could have no bearing.

The further jabs I took at Stihl, and their products, that company earned with multiple infractions of good business practices, and poor dealer representation, worthless warranties, and absolutely no customer support in the past. But THAT IS ONLY MY EXPERIENCE WITH THEM.

Maybe it was a crappy dealer, but I am inclined to believe it was crappy saws.
Husky, and Johnsered have been real good to me when I did need them, and that was very few times. Call me old fashioned, but I will stick with a company that treats me like they actually WANT my business.

You are prolly the only one on here that has had bad experiences with Stihl..............why.................I don't care to ask!!!:deadhorse:

Lately I have been running a little Johnsered 2135, and I find it is the only saw I have ever had that has balanced as well as the 338 and maybe even a little better....but it does not quite have the power the 338 did, or the speed.

That's essentially the same saw as the 334, smaller motor, and rated at only 2 hp.....

Back