Wanted bulk chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanManofStihl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I was wondering if any one had a bulk roll of chain sitting around I need 3/8 pitch 63 ga I would like at least a 25 foot roll but pm me and we can talk. Thanks for the help

Dan,

Do you already have the tools to break and spin loops? If not, a need for 25' of chain does not warrant this investment, it would be cheaper to buy pre-spun loops or change your bar out to .050 gauge. If you have a long bar that requires .063 gauge, wouldn`t you desire skip chain?

On the other hand, if you already have the tools, you may score some old stock .063 gauge chain for a fair price on eBay or you could pick up a roll of Oregon 75V which I`ve seen for a hundred bucks for a hundred feet, but even then, it`s hard to justify the expense of the tools for only a hundred feet of chain which is 1640 dl. Do the math on how many links/loop you need and see how the price of home-spun vs pre-spun stacks up before you rush out and buy a roll.

Russ

bulk chain

I want to get a pair of the vice grip style breaker spinner I have a bunch of chain that I need to fix so I figure what better time to get a role of chain and start to learn how to break it and spin it my self.

DanManofStihl said:
I want to get a pair of the vice grip style breaker spinner I have a bunch of chain that I need to fix so I figure what better time to get a role of chain and start to learn how to break it and spin it my self.

I understand.

The Vise Grip style tool is pretty handy but will still set you back about $40. Are the damaged chains worth $40 + repalcement parts and are you going to spin enough loops with this tool in the future to justify the expense? The bench mounted tools work sooo much easier and better, but like everything else, you get what you pay for. Buy the cheaper set and it may not work all that well.

Too bad you`re not local, I`d show you what I mean.

Russ

chain

I Want to get them because they seem to be more portable I would not want to spend 40 bucks but I have 5 chains that all have one bent length in them so Im going to scrape one chain and fix the other four they are all stihl chains and they cost an arm and a leg and have plenty of meat on them. The dealer wants $2.00 a piece to break them so I would alreay have to give out 10 and have to wait 2 weeks and drive back up their and with fuel prices I don't really want to go to all that trouble.

Dan,

If you have to wait two weeks and make two trips to have five chains repaired, you need a better dealer. Try a Husky dealer, or atleast a dealer who sells Husky and Stihl, lol.

It also seems apparent that if the chains "cost and arm and a leg", it would be cheaper to buy presets and repair all five chains unless one chain is really mangled. It`s true that the die for respinning the used rivets works pretty well, but it`s still a compromise compared to using new components because the metal structure is changed(work hardened/embrittled) and some amount of steel will be missing. Make sure that you use plenty of oil when you reshape the rivet and again when you spin it back together.

Another factor to consider is that the replacement parts taken from the fifth chain will have to be shortened to that of the repaired chain or vice versa unless the chains all have the tooth length.

This sort of chain repair is like the tail wagging the dog and normally not worthwhile.

Two bucks apiece doesn`t sound all that bad.

Russ

I would much rather buy the tool to have it around then I could fix them at my leasure and If I broke another chain then I would not have to stop what im doing to go to the dealer to get it fixed. I might go up to the dealer and buy some of the straps you were talking about that way I wouldn't waste a good chain. All of the cutters are about the same length so I have that going for me at least.

That seems like a reasonable plan. Don`t be afraid to ask any questions that may arise, and don`t forget to put the straps on with the relief cutouts on the bottom. :eek:

Russ

Back