Was busy today (pic heavy)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Myself and an older guy I know went out to my secret wood cutting area and went to town. The weather was perfect for cutting and splitting, and we took advantage of it. Here's a few pics of the action.

Logs6.jpg

Blocking and noodling area, and blatant Stihl abuse. There was a nedium sized white oak log between the huge white and red oaks.

Logs2.jpg

A little extra muscle never hurt anybody, or is it cheating?

Logs5.jpg

Loggers lunch. I'm in the orange shirt.

Logs3.jpg

Logs4.jpg

Saw lineup in the monster oak log

Logs1.jpg

Me posing on top of the red maple butt log with the 395. This log is truly massive, the butt is over 5 feet across, and I am 6'3"

Logs7.jpg

First of two loads, this one nearly maxed out the 3500# trailer axle. Th heavy duty hand cart is essential for moving these big rounds. It has a 1000# capacity and is about $60 from Northern.

That was my day, had a great time in the nice weather, and have about 10 more loads there waiting to be cut.

OK, you need to let me know where this big wood is......

Good idea loading the logs on end like that, I just bought a trailer like that only larger, I was wondering how to safely load it for transport. Now that I saw it, it makes sense. Or maybe stack the wood on end around the outside and put log length in the middle if need be.

Here is trailer abuse. After looking at how nice you where treating that 3500# trailer. Unfortunately or maybe fortunately depending on how you look at it this happens all to often at my place.
345298125.jpg

Here is trailer abuse. After looking at how nice you where treating that 3500# trailer. Unfortunately or maybe fortunately depending on how you look at it this happens all to often at my place.
345298125.jpg

Did you load those by hand?

I think a low trailer with a ramp is much easier to move big wood than a pickup. One of my friends insists on splitting everything as soon as it is cut and loading his truck with splitter in tow. I think it is a horribly inefficient way of doing wood and limits us to only moving 1/2 cord at a time on a 1/2 ton truck. I am more of a fan of loading a trailer down with the big stuff and loading the truck with smaller stuff, saving room for saws and gear and splitting it at my own leisure.

:agree2: Just seems easier that way.
Did you load those by hand?

I think a low trailer with a ramp is much easier to move big wood than a pickup. One of my friends insists on splitting everything as soon as it is cut and loading his truck with splitter in tow. I think it is a horribly inefficient way of doing wood and limits us to only moving 1/2 cord at a time on a 1/2 ton truck. I am more of a fan of loading a trailer down with the big stuff and loading the truck with smaller stuff, saving room for saws and gear and splitting it at my own leisure.

all these big hardwood rounds are making me jealous...not much hardwood around here unless you count the occasional maple or walnut tree a person wants taken down...and half the time they wanna keep the wood, so im lucky to get a cord or two off a few dead apple/ cherry trees. the rest of my 12 cord supply is made up of alder n fir.

Thanks for the report AOD...I like reading 'em. Just say'en those are nice big wheels on that hand truck.

do any of you use de-fogger wipes? i use one on my safety glasses and it seems to last about a week or so.

Nice pics!

Hard to beleive all 4 saws ran out of gas in the same log :laugh:

Old loader tractor looks like maybe a Ford industrial? Whatever it is, it sure ain't cheating!

RainX no fog is what I use on snowmobile helmets, atv goggles, etc. Works pretty good if you remember to reapply it occasionally. Works wonders on the bathroom mirror as well.

Back